PDA

View Full Version : Need some help with a couple of columns in a LVS shipping list

TNP777
11-19-2013, 10:38 PM
I picked up a Brett Butler B310 recently and BMH was kind enough to provide a shipping list that helps shed light on when it was made/ordered. However, there are a couple of columns that I would love some help deciphering.

First, what is the difference between a B310 and a B310C?

Second, in the 2nd black column, what do some of those designations mean? I assume HICK is hickory, but the rest of them make no sense whatsoever. HICK may not mean hickory at all?

The seller stated that the bat was from his Braves playing days and according to the list it certainly could be. I'd love to come as close to proving that as I can, though.

Thanks in advance for your help.

http://i42.tinypic.com/155qo86.jpg

Masimen
11-19-2013, 10:52 PM
The "C" in B310C stands for cupped as in a cupped barrel. HICK is indeed Hickory. WALK = Walker finish, HORN = Hornsby finish, FT = Flame Treated. Hope this helps.

TNP777
11-19-2013, 10:56 PM
Thanks, Steve - that helps a lot. I kinda figured C was for cupped.

Now I just need to figure out what kind of wood this is.

TNP777
11-19-2013, 11:50 PM
okay - since the bat has a light finish on the handle and dark on the barrel, I guess I can call it a Walker finish. That's good to know.

At some point in it's past someone attempted to repair it, gluing the break, sanding the rough parts and (shoddily) painting a coat of lacquer or stain of some sort on it with a brush. At some point after that Butler autographed it. Now, I want to take that coat of lacquer (or whatever kind of stain it is), but would like to preserve the original coating. Is this possible? If so, what would work best? I could care less about the autograph - that can be taken care of at any time.

I will take some pictures tomorrow or something when there is some better lighting. Whatever stain was applied really darkened the thing up.

TNP777
11-20-2013, 12:19 AM
I asked the question of BMH, but will ask it here as well. Based on the belief that I'm dealing with a Walker finish and the fact that it is a cupped barrel (figured that out all by myself, I think I can narrow it down to one of three orders he placed:

http://i42.tinypic.com/2a4th1y.jpg

Obviously, I would hope it was from the bottom order. The BASEBALL PROMOT and BASEBALL MISCEL orders were after the '82 season. What are the chances those bats would have eventually made it into a game in the '83 season? Again, the bat is cracked (handle and barrel) and those cracks were repaired at some point in the past. I would hope the cracks come from actual use by Butler and not some random face that came into possession of the bat and broke it himself.

bat_master
11-20-2013, 12:24 AM
Most likely going to be an ash bat as maple didn't really become popular until after 2000 as far as I know.