PDA

View Full Version : Forum Challenge!- Larry Johnson GF

Eric
12-02-2006, 02:02 AM
Hey geniuses-

I have a challenge for you.

There is something wrong with the Larry Johnson 2003 Chiefs rookie jersey in the Grey Flannel Auction. Whoever can figure out the issue gets a gold star and saves someone $1500

Here's the pics and the description

2003 Larry Johnson Kansas City Chiefs Game-Used Red Mesh Jersey (Rookie Season)
Lot # 48

On the front left tail of this jersey is the "REEBOK" manufacturer's wash tag. Attached to this tag are two flag tags, size "46" and "2" L.B." On the inside back collar of the jersey is an additional manufacturers' tag with "02-46" on it. Tagged from 2002 but worn in 2003. On the front, back, and on each shoulder is the player number "27" in white on yellow tackle twill. Across the back is "L.JOHNSON" in white on yellow tackle twill on a red name plate. On the front at the neck is the official "NFL Equipment" embroidered logo patch. On each sleeve above the player number is the "Reebok" embroidered logo. The jersey has red spandex sides and custom elastic sleeves. The jersey shows great game-use and appears to have no alterations of any kind.

Reserve Price: $500

Current Bid: $1,500

cohibasmoker
12-02-2006, 06:59 AM
According to Getty Images, Larry Johnson wore a numbered 34 jersey in December 2003. The Grey flannel jersey has 27, a number he wore in 2004. So, the Grey Flannel jersey would NOT be his rookie jersey.

Eric
12-02-2006, 10:09 AM
Fire up a cohiba because you're the winner. You have won the respect of your peers and the right to call yourself an "Authenticator for a day!"

Larry Johnson played in 6 games as a rookie and wore #34.

He switched to 27 in his second season.

Hereis a list of the 2003 nfl rosters
http://www.findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m0FCL/is_2_33/ai_107524520

Yes, this could be a game used Larry Johnson jersey, but it is not from his rookie season.
See you next time folks!

Eric
12-02-2006, 06:21 PM
Grey Flannel as done the right thing and changed the title of the lot and the description.

The title reads "2004 Larry Johnson" It no longer reads (rookie season) and the auction description now says "Tagged from 2002 but worn in 2004"

Thanks to Rich Russek for making that change.

Eric

amex46
12-02-2006, 07:47 PM
i called and ask them about the jersey. the cfc rep i would like to say answered my questions and was very upfront and respectful. he said if they are not 100% sure a jersey is not gw they would pull it, reserch it and put it in the next auction if it come out that a jersey is 100% ok. he told me that the reason for the 02 year tag was because the jersey was made in 2002 but since lj did not get any burn they had several more jerseys lj did not use that they recycled onto future years. my question is that in 2002 he wore #34 why in the world would they make him a jersey in 2002 with a diffrent number #27 on it with his name l.johnson on it. it really dose not make ANY sense. i also asked for some upclose pics of the jerseys shoulder area bc i would want to bid to win being a psu fan i explained to him i would like to try to match up a nick, hit or repair make on it. he said there was no real use on it and it would not do any good to send me a photo to help photo match a mark bc there were none. make of that what you want

Eric
12-02-2006, 07:55 PM
A more plausible possibility (which was emailed to me by a forum member) is that the chiefs had blank jerseys in 2002 that were put to use thereafter. Since the style of the team jersey hasn't changed this is a possibility.
It's not that they made it up his rookie year, it could have been made up once he changed numbers.
Just a possibility theory.
Eric