PDA

View Full Version : Please help with verifying this GU jersey

Enyouartist
11-17-2013, 01:53 PM
I'm really interested in this jersey, however I want to verify if it's a legit gamer. A few concerns are: I don't see any set tags, there is no picture of the actual LOA, and the auction appears to be shilled (one bidder has 72% bid activity with this aseller, another bidder has 33%)

Can you guys take a look? Is it a legit gamer? Is it being shilled?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/JD-Drew-Signed-Game-Used-Dodgers-Jersey-W-LOA-Livan-Hernandez-Collection-/331065508722?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4d150ac372

Hoosier39
11-17-2013, 03:52 PM
I'm not saying it's happening from the seller, but I know for a fact they have another eBay username. I thought it was odd they opened up a new account so I took a pic of their old acct for this very reason!

Phil316
11-17-2013, 05:52 PM
As far as the legit of the jersey goes. I own both a 2005 and a 2006 home white Dodgers of Cody Ross and both of mine have the year tag right beside the size tag. As far as I know that is the norm.

I know players sometimes give out signed retail or issued jerseys to other players instead of actual gamers. I have seen that happen more than once.

Phil316
11-17-2013, 05:54 PM
here is a couple examples

http://www.legendaryauctions.com/LotDetail.aspx?inventoryid=51758

http://www.100percentauthentic.com/Certificates/Details/2005-JD-Drew-Game-Worn-Dodgers-Jersey-20562/20562

Enyouartist
11-17-2013, 06:46 PM
As far as the legit of the jersey goes. I own both a 2005 and a 2006 home white Dodgers of Cody Ross and both of mine have the year tag right beside the size tag. As far as I know that is the norm.

I know players sometimes give out signed retail or issued jerseys to other players instead of actual gamers. I have seen that happen more than once.

Thanks for the help. So you're saying it doesn't match your Cody Ross jerseys and is unlikely a genuine gamer? It has stains on the jersey, but no year tag next to the size tag.

Enyouartist
11-17-2013, 06:57 PM
I'm not saying it's happening from the seller, but I know for a fact they have another eBay username. I thought it was odd they opened up a new account so I took a pic of their old acct for this very reason!

Hmmmmm.... While it's possible that a bidder with 72% bidding activity on their auctions is not shilling, I'm more concerned that the shilling suggests that the seller would be open to other unscrupulous practices, thus raising more concerns about the legitimacy of the jersey itself.

Hoosier39
11-17-2013, 07:40 PM
I'm definitely not saying that's what's happening, but for future reference, I took a screen shot on July 31st and the name was celebz-direct and it had 626 feedbacks. That was the day I noticed they opened up a brand new account that we now see today.

Also too, I would say most of their stuff is ok, but the below thread about a doctored Boggs bat they have sold is at least worth mentioning:

http://www.gameuseduniverse.com/vb_forum/showthread.php?t=56307&highlight=Boggs

earlywynnfan
11-17-2013, 07:58 PM
Don't know anything about this jersey, but I've always wondered why a seller would post a pic of the athlete (is that bald head actually Drew??) signing something else! What does that have to do with authenticity?

Ken

sox83cubs84
11-17-2013, 08:47 PM
Dodgers gamers of that era can occasionally be bereft of year tags, but that doesn't automatically justify this item's authenticity. Size 48 is a size available in retail as well as to players, and I'd love to see the inside tag to discern if it's a 0062 (normally team-issued) 0r a 6200 (normally retail attire).

Dave Miedema

Enyouartist
11-18-2013, 11:34 PM
I asked the seller about the LOA, which is not shown in the auction. Now I know why:

"The letter of authenticity is a generic letter that Livan signed for us with his signature. Given the fact that we have been dealing with hundreds of items from Livan it would be impossible for him to sign hundreds of letters for us... Instead we always make sure to include a COPY letter of authenticity with each item."