PDA

View Full Version : Larry Bird photomatched shoes

joecoco
11-17-2013, 01:42 PM
Hello everyone-

I was pretty excited to pick up these shoes from a MEARS auction a while back (terrific experience with them). Basically, I have a signed letter from the gentleman who originally purchased them at a charity auction in 1986, directly after the NBA Finals.

On the MEARS website they had a picture of Larry wearing these in Game 3, but I have too much fun doing my homework with photomatching, so I found, what I believe, are some more shots of Larry wearing them. The screen shots are pictures I took from the DVD of the 1986 Finals. I could find a picture of the distinct scuff marks on Larry's shoes in most of the DVDs. The one I have included is of Larry walking from a time out in Game 6. I found larry wearing shoes on gettyimages dated from Game 1, but I was not sure if I could include them inpost due to copyright stuff.

What I think is so cool is that Larry won his last regular season MVP the year these were worn, along with a finals MVP. so in other words, Christmas came early for me this year in September when I go these!

Thanks for the look guys!

Joe

Wrigley2010
11-17-2013, 01:56 PM
Sweet shoes!

both-teams-played-hard
11-17-2013, 05:06 PM
Great shoes!
Does the tag on the tongue say "ALL-STAR" or "WEAPON" ? My experience with the "WEAPON" model is the game shoes are green and the retail model is black.
However, I am no expert.

joecoco
11-17-2013, 07:43 PM
Thanks a lot! It sort of feels weird getting my "White Whale" after all of these years.

So the tongues read "All Star," unlike the store model ones which read "Weapons." Bird started wearing the Converse Weapon during the 1985-86 season and though the 87-88, when he switched to the Cons ERX-400 at the end of the 87-88 season (he battled Nique and the Hawks in the ERX-400s). During the 89-90 seasonhe started off with the ERX-250s, and then went to the Con Waves, Star Conquest and Accelerator (I think). I just love the Weapons b/c I had a pair as a kid and think they are just the best looking shoe.

So his game shoes are black with some minor differences. For instance, the soles of the retail Weapons are black/white, where as Bird kept the soles he had been using on his canvas ones the years before, which are white (see below). Another interesting thing I found: most of Bird's Weapons did not have the name "Converse" printed on the side; they were usually plain, like the sides of his canvas shoes. As you can see, it is printed on mine (not sure if this was for the playoffs?) and I found it on a screen shot I got from the 86 Finals.

Thanks again!

bdeol44
11-18-2013, 01:58 AM
Those are sweet!

dangerzone79
11-18-2013, 04:11 AM
From one Boston fan to another, congrats. Getting the "White Whale" is a tremendous feeling. I picked up Pedro Martinez' glove from '99-'00 a few months ago & I can't believe I actually have it! Enjoy man.

sportscentury
11-18-2013, 10:16 AM
Terrific pair, Joe -- congrats! I'm sure you plan to keep the pair forever, but if you ever decide to move it, please let me know. Thank you.

joecoco
11-18-2013, 11:49 AM
Thanks a lot guys for the kind words. As cheesy as this sounds, finding these has really turned down the thermostat on collecting for bit, as I am sure it does when you get the "Whale." I say that now, but am sure there will be something else soon :)

That is an awesome pick-up. I remember seeing Pedro in 99-00 when he was absolutely untouchable. I recall a game against the Royals when Johnny Damon broke three bats against him!

Thanks again.

Takuleechch
12-10-2013, 09:45 PM
Great shoes!
Does the tag on the tongue say "ALL-STAR" or "WEAPON" ? My experience with the "WEAPON" model is the game shoes are green and the retail model is black.
However, I am no expert.

Can anyone add insight to that?

joecoco
12-11-2013, 09:17 PM
I havelooked at a lot of pictures of Larry's shoes and have owned three Converse Weapon Models and from what I have seen, his shoes had "All Star" on them and not "Weapons," which was available on the retail model.

jmeekins33
12-12-2013, 02:38 AM
Unbelievable! This has got to be one of the best game used pieces I've ever seen. Congrats.

joecoco
12-12-2013, 09:38 AM
Thanks so much for the kind words! I could not be happier with these. I really appreciate it. Geez, I was such a big fan of Larry gowing up- I remember missing my little league game to watch game 6 of the finals when they won it all. Nothing like 1980s NBA; just awesome stuff!

otismalibu
12-12-2013, 12:22 PM
Inside the shoe, can you notice any difference between them?

joecoco
12-12-2013, 05:00 PM
That is a great point. I think Larry had his shoes customized after his achilles surgery in 1989, where the heel portion had modification made to it. He wore these shoes in 1986, before the heel surgery, so they are free of these modifications. That is a subtle point though. Good stuff!

otismalibu
12-12-2013, 05:14 PM
I didn't know what year he had that issue, but I've talked to the gent that made Bird's shoes and he mentioned having to work around a bone spur in that area.

joecoco
12-12-2013, 07:35 PM
That actually makes sense. I once handled a pair of ERX-300 Cons from the 1989 season and the right shoe had part of the inner plastic cut around the backside of the heel, making it soft and floppy. This makes sense based on what you said regarding the person who made the shoe having to work around Bird's spurs. How the heck did you manage to talk to him? That is pretty cool.

I am assuming my pair was made before the spurs were much of an issue (not to mention his back too), but when I get home tonight I will check.

joecoco
03-23-2014, 05:24 PM
Hi guys- I am brining this post back as I was so excited to find my shoes pictured in a random Celtics book titled "The Bird Era" that i picked up recently. It is a photo of Bird and Johnson celebrating at the conclusion of game 6 of the 1986 NBA Finals (shortly after destroying the Rockets). I pictured my shoes for a comparison. Is it not a great feeling to see your special items listed in photos?! Awesome stuff!

jmeekins33
03-23-2014, 05:55 PM
The awesomeness continues. I'm legitimately jealous.

joecoco
03-23-2014, 06:09 PM
Thank you so much for the kind words. I was just so happy to see it in the picture. Have you guys had this happen to you where you randomly pick up a book or are looking through gettyimages, photo shelter, et all and there it is? Good stuff!

gorilla777
03-23-2014, 08:40 PM
Great catch, Joe, that is very cool!

Ben

xsentrixsupra
03-24-2014, 08:17 AM
Even as a Lakers fan I have to begrudgingly give respect where respect is due :D Very nice shoes!

joecoco
03-24-2014, 09:47 AM
Hah! It is amazing how strongly you can feel about these guys. I have been a fan of the Celtics and Larry since early eighties when I was a kid, but I have to give credit to Magic and Kareen; they were just so good and really were the team of the eighties. I remember going to see Kareen at a book singing in late eighties in Boston and thinking, "this guy is the enemy!" Just a great rivalry.

emann
03-24-2014, 10:02 AM
With the stellar photomatches, those are easily one of the coolest basketball items that have been posted on here—congrats!

xsentrixsupra
03-24-2014, 04:25 PM
Hah! It is amazing how strongly you can feel about these guys. I have been a fan of the Celtics and Larry since early eighties when I was a kid, but I have to give credit to Magic and Kareen; they were just so good and really were the team of the eighties. I remember going to see Kareen at a book singing in late eighties in Boston and thinking, "this guy is the enemy!" Just a great rivalry.

I think as time goes on you stop hating your "enemy" and start to appreciate the battles and what they brought to the table. At that point the "hate" you feel starts to change into respect. I also hate the Spurs and hated Tim Duncan and Pop. At this point though, I find myself oddly cheering them and not wanting it to end. I actually have considered looking for a Bird or Duncan gamer to go with my collection, but I'm not sure my house wouldn't instantly burst into flames, so at the moment I haven't :)

joecoco
03-24-2014, 05:52 PM
I think as time goes on you stop hating your "enemy" and start to appreciate the battles and what they brought to the table. At that point the "hate" you feel starts to change into respect. I also hate the Spurs and hated Tim Duncan and Pop. At this point though, I find myself oddly cheering them and not wanting it to end. I actually have considered looking for a Bird or Duncan gamer to go with my collection, but I'm not sure my house wouldn't instantly burst into flames, so at the moment I haven't :)

Well said! I find that with age I appreciate good team play (Showtime Lakers), regardless of the identity of the team or player, more than I ever did as a kid. I could not agree more. If you ever get a Bird item, make sure you buy fire insurance :)

joecoco
10-28-2017, 08:53 PM
Hello Everyone-

Maybe it is my age speaking, but as the year pass I find myself reflecting more on 1980's NBA Basketball, the game of my youth. I get particularly nostalgic with the start of the NBA season!

My collection is small, but what I have is meaningful to me. In honor of the season I decided to post probably the best picture of my 1986 Bird shoes in action. They show Bird going up against Hakeem - after faking out Rodney McCray- in Game 6. Bird was knocked to floor and later hit two free throws. If you refer to the picture in my earlier post you will see both shoes match up.

Thanks guys and Go Celtics!