PDA

View Full Version : givens patriots jersey in historic yet another FAKE

amex46
12-01-2006, 07:00 PM
http://www.historicauctions.com/search/showphotos/auctionid/33977/imageid/8861/

HIS NAME PLATE/FONT IS WAY WAY OFF DONT TOUCH THIS JERSEY IS 100% FAKE. HAS ANYONE EVER BEEN ABLE TO CONTACT THEM ABOUT ALL THERE FAKE JERSEYS

Eric
12-01-2006, 07:02 PM
Amex

You can't just come on here and say something is fake without providing the evidence to back it up, Specifically what is wrong, and what should it look like?

Eric

amex46
12-01-2006, 08:43 PM
http://www.hhweb.com/sb39/04SBGivensDavid_small.jpg

check it out it is clear the font and spacing are WAYYYYYYY OFF

beantown
12-02-2006, 04:25 PM
I agree with amex on the Givens jersey and I don't like the Dillon jersey being offered either...

Here are the jerseys in question...

PROBLEMS-
1.) Nameplate sits too low on both of the back of these jerseys...
2.) "Givens" font is COMPLETLEY wrong and it appears the nameplate is too long.
3.) The #'s on both appear to be off...almost to "fat"for both...
4.) The rear #'s on "Dillons" jersey sits to low...should be up higher/closer to bottom of shoulder seam...
4.) The Shoulder #'s should be closer to the neck line...to much space on both of these...

Other than that, there rock solid gamers... ;)

beantown
12-02-2006, 04:27 PM
Here are my reference photos.....

beantown
12-02-2006, 04:32 PM
More reference photos...

Eric
12-02-2006, 11:27 PM
I know it has already been illustrated in this thread, but here it is simply, back to back

Here is the 2004 Givens front in the historic auctions. Note the thickness of the #7
Here is a photo of David Givens from 2004

beantown
12-03-2006, 12:07 AM
I know it has already been illustrated in this thread, but here it is simply, back to back

Here is the 2004 Givens front in the historic auctions. Note the thickness of the #7
Here is a photo of David Givens from 2004

Not only that, but look at the inner part of the #8...way off!!!!

kingjammy24
12-04-2006, 06:59 PM
both the givens and the dillon have numbers that are clearly the wrong font. oddly enough they both use the same incorrect font. both jerseys are in historic auctions and both authenticated by bernie gernay.

if i were an idiot, i'd say this is all very shocking.

rudy.

flaco1801
12-05-2006, 12:19 PM
something is clearly wrong here. a member cant say a shirt is bogus "he needs proof" we take the high road here huh? meanwhile these "authenticators" are clearly stating something is not what its meant to be, and at a price and thats ok? even if one of the forum members makes a mistake,.... its not as bad as buying a fake shirt deemed legit by a LOA. oh wait i think i got it WE DONT WANT TO HURT THE AUCTION HOUSES REPUTATION is that it? i think a list is needed to post the auction houses, their "innocent" mistakes, and who wrote the Loa. time and time they are wrong, the forum members have a better track record. Jeff

rose14
12-05-2006, 12:34 PM
Yes, everyone should have to provide proof if they are going to come on here and say that an item at auction is fake. I don't think it has anything to do with protecting a auction house or an authenticator but keeping this forum reputable. It's no good to just let people come on here and say items are bad and leave it at that. If one had knowledge about an item share it with others instead of just bad mouthing it.

This forum is a great place for collectors to share their knowledge but when you open it up for just a bunch of mud slinging that provides no valuable info it does the forum no good. If a person knows an item is fake but can't give info on why they believe it to be fake then they should remain silent. It's like the saying goes, if your going to talk the talk then you need to walk the walk.

Oil Can Dan
12-05-2006, 12:53 PM
Yes, everyone should have to provide proof if they are going to come on here and say that an item at auction is fake. I don't think it has anything to do with protecting a auction house or an authenticator but keeping this forum reputable. It's no good to just let people come on here and say items are bad and leave it at that. If one had knowledge about an item share it with others instead of just bad mouthing it.

This forum is a great place for collectors to share their knowledge but when you open it up for just a bunch of mud slinging that provides no valuable info it does the forum no good. If a person knows an item is fake but can't give info on why they believe it to be fake then they should remain silent. It's like the saying goes, if your going to talk the talk then you need to walk the walk.

I would suggest the pictures posted in this very thread are more then enough proof to call these items fakes. It's so dramatic that I almost don't believe they're really being passed off as legit.

Frank
12-05-2006, 04:07 PM
I would suggest the pictures posted in this very thread are more then enough proof to call these items fakes. It's so dramatic that I almost don't believe they're really being passed off as legit.

I'm not saying that this is the case in this circumstance, but everybody should keep in mind that just because someone posts one image from Getty that doesn’t match an auction house’s photo doesn’t automatically make the item fake. Posting multiple pictures does help, but let people make their own decision.

I have a lot more respect for the forum member that says ‘here is a photo from every game that season, you make a decision’ vs. the one that says ‘this item is fake because I found ONE photo that doesn’t match, THESE GUYS ARE CROOKS!’

Also, I know everybody loves to just post and talk about it on here, but has anybody actually called any auction houses and talked to them about it?

Eric
12-05-2006, 04:58 PM
Also, I know everybody loves to just post and talk about it on here, but has anybody actually called any auction houses and talked to them about it?

I have. Some of them seem to be fighting to offer clean stuff. Others when presented with factual evidence seem to take the "I don't know what you're talking about" routine and do nothing.

If I were running an auction house, I would pride myself in providing the best available products (even if that meant fewer auctions per year), excellent customer service- (which includes answering questions about the items) and would answer questions on the auction house website AND only use authenticators which have contact information and stand behind their opinions, which in total guess what, would end up fetching higher auction prices.

Instead you see auction houses protecting authenticators who aren't available to offer info on their opinions and not answering questions about products which may in fact not be legit.

I think if you look at the situation logically, it's not so hard to figure out whom to trust. A cynic would say there aren't too many out there to trust, but proper homework lets you choose wisely.

Eric

Eric
12-09-2006, 01:10 PM
The Dillon is up to $1100

beantown
12-09-2006, 04:35 PM
I have. Some of them seem to be fighting to offer clean stuff. Others when presented with factual evidence seem to take the "I don't know what you're talking about" routine and do nothing.

If I were running an auction house, I would pride myself in providing the best available products (even if that meant fewer auctions per year), excellent customer service- (which includes answering questions about the items) and would answer questions on the auction house website AND only use authenticators which have contact information and stand behind their opinions, which in total guess what, would end up fetching higher auction prices.

Instead you see auction houses protecting authenticators who aren't available to offer info on their opinions and not answering questions about products which may in fact not be legit.

I think if you look at the situation logically, it's not so hard to figure out whom to trust. A cynic would say there aren't too many out there to trust, but proper homework lets you choose wisely.

Eric

What do auction houses have to lose? They are protected by the "authenticators" who only offer their "opinion" on the items they authenticate. If the auction houses are pointed out as auctioning questionable items, it certainly doesn’t appear to be affecting them, since most of them are still in business and more auction houses are opening up. Moreover, can the "authenticators" be held criminally or civilly liable for offering their opinion? Lampson has been bashed for quite some time and as far as I know, other than his reputation being trashed, what has happened to him? The bottom line is this is a hobby/business where you’ll have unscrupulous individuals who will try to manipulate items into being game worn/used when their not, for the simple fact of making a buck…it’s sad, but true….

Eric
12-15-2006, 02:10 AM
The Givens is up to $732.05