PDA

View Full Version : Dealing with "Refund and Relist" Sellers.

RMoody
11-13-2013, 08:13 PM
First off, I hope this person is a board member.

Two days ago, I won't this Kerry Rhodes jersey for what I felt was a very fair $105.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/331059924220?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

I then pay for said jersey and find the payment unexpectedly refunded with the following note,

I apologize, I can not let this jersey go for this price. I would take $225 for it if interested. I'm don't know why ebay didn't give me the reserve option. Again, I apologize for any inconvenience.

Then, I notice this was done.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-York-Jets-Kerry-Rhodes-Game-Worn-Used-Jersey-vs-Falcons-12-20-09-/331064734522?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4d14fef33a

These situations are the absolute most frustrating. First off, Im sure we have all lost money on things, this hobby is terrible for getting value back or "making" money. Secondly, Ebay has reserve prices , "Buy It Now" and "Best Offers" if your looking to get an exact amount. In fact, this seller has done this to several items.

As far as I go, Ebay is a legal binding agreement. Not a "only ship it if I'm willing to sell for that" system.

Also, if your going to do that, respectfully tell the person before they pay! Now I've got to sit and wait for a credit card refund because this person has an inflated value for his items.

Jags Fan Dan
11-13-2013, 08:17 PM
I agree it's not right, but at the end of the day at least you aren't out any money. Can you at least leave feedback that indicates his practices?

RMoody
11-13-2013, 08:20 PM
Trust me, I will but venting helps with the frustration! Plus, Ebay actually has no procedure for sellers who do this, you can't "file a complaint" for this situation.

While as you said, I'm not "out" money.

Skizzick
11-14-2013, 01:45 AM
Did you at least leave negative feedback? These guys will keep doing it unless people call them out, but good job for posting him on here.

ironmanfan
11-14-2013, 06:43 AM
Did you at least leave negative feedback? These guys will keep doing it unless people call them out, but good job for posting him on here.

Negative Feedback was indeed left (I would have done the same)

short84
11-14-2013, 01:39 PM
A friend of mine had a seller try to do this to him. The seller claimed they could not complete the transaction because the selling price was to low. My friend contacted eBay and had them contact the seller. The seller was told by eBay that they had entered into a legal, binding agreement with the buyer and they had to compete the transaction. My friend got his item and the seller was suspended. Sometimes it helps to contact eBay and let them try to help.

TNTtoys
11-14-2013, 05:30 PM
A friend of mine had a seller try to do this to him. The seller claimed they could not complete the transaction because the selling price was to low. My friend contacted eBay and had them contact the seller. The seller was told by eBay that they had entered into a legal, binding agreement with the buyer and they had to compete the transaction. My friend got his item and the seller was suspended. Sometimes it helps to contact eBay and let them try to help.

That's interesting, because I had the exact opposite thing happen to me. I contacted ebay after a seller outright refused to sell to me because "the bidding didn't get high enough for his liking" and was told that there is nothing anyone could do. The seller has every right to refuse to sell the item. I left him a negative and moved on. Funny thing is that I was happy to pay more; it's just that nobody bid me up!

RMoody
11-14-2013, 08:15 PM
That's interesting, because I had the exact opposite thing happen to me. I contacted ebay after a seller outright refused to sell to me because "the bidding didn't get high enough for his liking" and was told that there is nothing anyone could do. The seller has every right to refuse to sell the item. I left him a negative and moved on. Funny thing is that I was happy to pay more; it's just that nobody bid me up!

Just had this practice upheld by Ebay. It's practically a "sell at will" agreement but a "bidding agreement" to the buyer.

Absolutely unacceptable how one sided that is. So I can get unpaid item strikes for bidding and not paying, but a non selling shipper gets no such flagging.

metsbats
11-15-2013, 06:22 AM
Does the seller still have to pay the fees to ebay even if he backed out of the sale and issued you a refund? If yes this would certainly explain ebay's decision to uphold this practice. Pretty slimy way to conduct a business.

It's not fair that you get a unpaid strike against your account because of this.
Can you open up a dispute and perhaps get this removed?

Jags Fan Dan
11-15-2013, 09:50 AM
Does the seller still have to pay the fees to ebay even if he backed out of the sale and issued you a refund? If yes this would certainly explain ebay's decision to uphold this practice. Pretty slimy way to conduct a business.

It's not fair that you get a unpaid strike against your account because of this.
Can you open up a dispute and perhaps get this removed?

I don't think he meant that he got a non-pay strike for this incident, just saying sellers aren't held to the same agreement as buyers. And yes, unless the transaction was mutually cancelled I am almost certain the seller incurred the fees.

metsbats
11-15-2013, 12:08 PM
"So I can get unpaid item strikes for bidding and not paying, but a non selling shipper gets no such flagging"

That's the way i interpreted this.

Hope it's not true.

Jags Fan Dan
11-15-2013, 02:01 PM
Yeah, I hope not also, seeing as how he paid for the item but the "seller" refunded the money. It would take sizeable cajones to then file a non-paying bidder claim.

cfern023
12-04-2013, 11:48 PM
I can't stand Ebay, but it's a mass market and pretty much a Mall. No other real alternative that can produce the same mind numbing but 75% of the time satisfying results- as both a seller and buyer.

How about in an auction that states "Ask all questions before bidding, no shipping internationally unless contacted prior to bidding".

Setting the "No International Shipments" option.

THen getting a best offer, accepting and being asked "How much is shipping to Canada".

Ebay Says I'm at fault because I accepted his best offer, when his Location is BUFFALO!

danesei@yahoo.com
03-03-2014, 08:28 PM
I can't stand Ebay, but it's a mass market and pretty much a Mall. No other real alternative that can produce the same mind numbing but 75% of the time satisfying results- as both a seller and buyer.

How about in an auction that states "Ask all questions before bidding, no shipping internationally unless contacted prior to bidding".

Setting the "No International Shipments" option.

THen getting a best offer, accepting and being asked "How much is shipping to Canada".

Ebay Says I'm at fault because I accepted his best offer, when his Location is BUFFALO!

I've had this happen to me. Insist that you can only ship to the Buffalo address. As for the OP, I think that the buyer can't really control what happens, but you can refuse to agree to cancel the transaction. Since the buyer already paid, eBay removes "NPB" as an option, I believe.

tella27
03-04-2014, 02:15 PM
The sad thing with eBay and Paypal is once you receive a refund that the seller sends (not one ebay or Paypal has to determine and send you) they feel everything is taken care of and there is nothing else done or even a mark on their account. Sorry to hear about your trouble.

danesei@yahoo.com
03-04-2014, 02:28 PM
The sad thing with eBay and Paypal is once you receive a refund that the seller sends (not one ebay or Paypal has to determine and send you) they feel everything is taken care of and there is nothing else done or even a mark on their account. Sorry to hear about your trouble.
eBay has a new option under the "Report Item" thing under "Avoiding eBay Fees" that says something to the effect of seller using a reserve without paying reserve fees. I'm guessing that will have them investigated for such actions.