PDA

View Full Version : Ohio State Helmet Help

OSUBucksCollector
11-13-2013, 03:49 PM
Was out of the house when I saw this helmet on eBay. It had a buy it now and was unable to do research so I went for it. Pretty uncommon to see the large Buckeye leaves. It is in really rough condition. Inside of the helmet is red which is what is really throwing me off. The pictures in the listing were bad and I just went for it. Hoping it would be a game used helmet but looking for opinions. Thanks!

helmets
11-13-2013, 07:00 PM
Awesome helmet!
Ohio State wore red helmets in 66 and 67, and then switched to silver in 1968. Helmet looks spot-on to me. Nice pickup.

OSUBucksCollector
11-13-2013, 07:44 PM
Thanks helmets. I knew they wore red in 66 and 67 but wasnt sure if repainting helmets was really common. Also looking at pictures it seems like Buckeye leaves were usually put on the right side of the helmet. These stickers are on the left side. Not sure if there was a year that they switched from right to left extra. Just trying to find some history out. Also trying to figure out the best way to just clean it up a little bit. Seems like someone buried it in the dirt for the last 40 years....pretty gross

OSUBucksCollector
11-13-2013, 08:08 PM
Looks like the numbers inside are 25 (on the crown area), an 11 and 53 on the ear pad areas. Tons of dust and nastiness on it. Any ideas about cleaning it up or just leaving it farm fresh.

tom1315
11-13-2013, 09:30 PM
Looks like a super pickup! I'd get Curtis at Helmet Hut to look at it for you too. I have sent him two older gamers and it was worth the shipping costs to him and then back to me in Raleigh. I'd be careful cleaning it too much…maybe a damp rag to get the dust/crud off…but gently so.

Nice pick up! Let us know what Curtis has to say about this suspension gamer.

Tom

Go Pack! NC State 1981 alumni

OSUBucksCollector
11-14-2013, 08:19 AM
Hey Tom! Thanks! Is there an easy way to get a hold of Curtis? I would love to learn more about these older suspension helmets. I try to do as much research as possible and educate myself but there is not a whole lot out there when dealing with older helmets (atleast what I have been able to find). I might have to use a damp rag but usually really hate touching anything. Helmet may have come from a smoking home. It is almost as if there was a sticky layer and then dust just stuck to it. Hoping to find out more!

jeffaary
11-14-2013, 10:30 AM
Mike:

Look at this picture of Jim Otis:

http://buckeyextra.dispatch.com/content/graphics/2013/10/1968-osu-football/jim-otis.jpg?__scale=w:620,h:550,t:3

This picture has to be from 1968 because OSU played Michigan at home in 1968, and the next time they played Michigan in Columbus in 1970 the black numbers on the sleeve had moved to the shoulders and turned white. As mentioned above the Bucks wore red helmets in 1966 and 1967, so this picture is from the first year of the silver helmets. Note the large Buckeye leaves and the exposed red paint where the silver has been scraped off.

I don't know if your helmet is legit, but from this picture it could be.

tom1315
11-14-2013, 10:31 PM
Hey Tom! Thanks! Is there an easy way to get a hold of Curtis? I would love to learn more about these older suspension helmets. I try to do as much research as possible and educate myself but there is not a whole lot out there when dealing with older helmets (atleast what I have been able to find). I might have to use a damp rag but usually really hate touching anything. Helmet may have come from a smoking home. It is almost as if there was a sticky layer and then dust just stuck to it. Hoping to find out more!

Shoot Curtis an email at wcwinc@earthlink.net and he'll get back to you promptly. Send him your telephone and he'll call you…absolutely one of the most knowledgeable professionals re older helmets. He may ask you to send it to him so he can handle and inspect. He'll tell you pretty quickly whether or not genuine. I think yours is genuine…keep us posted.

Tom

Go Pack! NC State 1981 alumni number