PDA

View Full Version : Number's and Letters on authentic jersey

BernBabyBern
11-11-2013, 03:28 PM
Not sure if this has been covered in the past.
Long story. but i'm going to try and make alterations on a jersey i'm getting that was used in a 2009 wbc game. Again, long story. LOL.

Anyway I was told by someone that most likely the letters/numbers on these jersey's were glued on and then stitched on. That it would not be worth it and most likely ruin the jersey.

I thought I'd be able to un-stitch them and make my alterations.

Anyone have any knowledge of this topic? In general on pro jersey's are the letters glued than stitched?

Any assistance would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Pablo

TNTtoys
11-12-2013, 10:20 PM
Not sure if this has been covered in the past.
Long story. but i'm going to try and make alterations on a jersey i'm getting that was used in a 2009 wbc game. Again, long story. LOL.

Anyway I was told by someone that most likely the letters/numbers on these jersey's were glued on and then stitched on. That it would not be worth it and most likely ruin the jersey.

I thought I'd be able to un-stitch them and make my alterations.

Anyone have any knowledge of this topic? In general on pro jersey's are the letters glued than stitched?

Any assistance would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Pablo

Pablo,

Assuming that Majerstic made these jerseys, I would have to say with utmost certainty that they glue the letters on before stitching them to the jersey. That said, you could strip the jersey if you work hard at it... but if the jersey is made of "cool base" or other lightweight material, you would more than likely end up pulling the fabric in several places. The older Majestics (which I have to say were made much better and sturdier), along with the other main knit brands (Rawlings, AIS, Russell, Wilson, etc.) also had glues/stitched numbers, but these rarely were damaged upon letter/number removal if you knew what you were doing. Bottom line, flimsy material, very unpredictable results.

Nick