PDA

View Full Version : Cubs Fans Dont Let This Happen!!!

jbean023
11-08-2013, 08:23 PM
On MLB Auctions currently they are auctioning 2 Soler, 2 Almora, and 2 Bryant jerseys which are the first of their career well today DLeiner, which says he has a colletion and I believe him but also works high up on Topps and is a member on here as well so I'm sure some of the items he buys from us on here are getting cut up and all 6 of these jerseys will most likely be getting cut up. I have emailed him asking if these were going into cards, no response yet. I am going to bid up as much as I can on Sunday, just irritating that this happens. I know cutting up jerseys will continue for awhile, just wanted to let Cubs fans that the first 2 AFL jerseys from these 3 are going to cards unless we can win a couple!!

onlyalbert
11-08-2013, 08:33 PM
Please tell me this isn't true!!!!

jmeekins33
11-08-2013, 08:43 PM
I pray that one day this idiocy from card companies stops.

jbean023
11-08-2013, 08:47 PM
Its true and the I only looked at the Cubs jerseys who knows what other prospects they are cutting up.

jbean023
11-08-2013, 08:50 PM
Yeah he is high bidder on about all of them if sullyrackem read this than thank you because he just outbid david on one of the Bryants, onlyalbert I hope you didn't sell him any amazing historical cardinals piece. Im only assuming but pretty good assumption if hes bidding on this many prospect jerseys they are going to cards.

jbean023
11-08-2013, 08:56 PM
well sullyrackem is high bidder on a few different ones from different teams too so hopefully we are not watching a bidding war against two card companies

CubbyBear8
11-08-2013, 09:01 PM
That is sickening. I was actually looking at bidding myself but decided not to. I picked up a rizzo bat instead . I hope a fan wins them

justrun7
11-08-2013, 09:33 PM
This is really disappointing. I'm not a Cubs fan, but there are so many nice jersey's in those auctions. I would hate to see them destroyed for a few cards. I really hate what the card companies have done with game used memorabilia. I also don't understand the logic from some of the buyers. Recently a Carlos Quentin 1/1 bat knob card sold for $184.50 on eBay and his a full game used bat sold for $45. I have to give them props for being able to turn lower items into pricer items, but it is frustrating as a collector to see such great things cut and discarded. I really hope these don't go to card companies.

MikeSharon
11-08-2013, 10:54 PM
I understand and completely agree however in my humble opinion it would be a far greater crime if a card company won the 48 Musial that is currently in Heritage's auction and destroyed that

bd300
11-08-2013, 11:42 PM
He outbid me on a Colin Moran jersey.

Cubman15
11-09-2013, 11:10 AM
Thanks for getting the word out Jacob! It would be a shame to see a piece of Cubs history be cut up for baseball cards.

Phil316
11-09-2013, 11:52 AM
It's hard to outbid companies with such big pockets.

calgrad1999
11-09-2013, 03:51 PM
Best of luck guys.

Last year I saved a SF giants game used bat from
The World Series from a competing bidder who worked for a company
That would buy game used bats and make
Bottle openers out of them.

Godspeed

karamaxjoe
11-09-2013, 04:33 PM
I understand and completely agree however in my humble opinion it would be a far greater crime if a card company won the 48 Musial that is currently in Heritage's auction and destroyed that

Cutting up a 48 Musial would be a horrible crime.

Cutting up all the jerseys from the AFL last season wouldn't bother me at all. There will always be more and more modern jerseys to cut up and sell to collectors.

gorilla777
11-10-2013, 09:12 PM
Looks like the Topps card guy won plenty of jerseys to carve up, what a shame. And it's a member of the forum? Great...

jbean023
11-10-2013, 10:18 PM
Yeah there were some fighters that fended off a few of these guys first AFL jerseys and NFL collectors yes he is buying your jerseys and carving them up to, watch the auctions. I'm assuming every big auction a card company wins a few items to carve up. I see some card prices that are high but then I see some that these cards are selling for under a couple bucks for superstar players. The USA jerseys suck the most for me because there isn't plenty of those jerseys running around. I hope with all these guys getting caught that they will get into the card companies and put a couple of them out of business(sorry card collectors, I collected cards to when I was from 8-15) then moved to autos then to game used so I did collect. I watch some of these guys at sports shows and they are like in zombie mode, watch them open a box of cards and nothing around them exists while they shuffle through cards. That's their gig and Im happy for them collect away but quit cutting up jerseys, bats, and now some have pieces of hats and cleats. As game used collectors we don't cut up cards but maybe we should start, if someone can get ahold of Donald Trump to buy all the T 206 Honus Wagners and just cut them up maybe we can send a point across. LOL!!!

BIGSTIG
11-10-2013, 11:18 PM
Id like to chime in here...first off let me say it was not necessary to name and single out dleiner. There are quite a few guys on this board who work for card companies and or auction houses etc. I have had the pleasure of meeting and dealing with David a couple times and he is one of nicest and helpful guys in the hobby and yes, this is a hobby to him as well...his collection would make most here speechless. Sometimes this hobby turns into a business as well.

Secondly, hey if they are willing to pay that kind of money for some jersey of a guy who is just a prospect and has not proved to be anything, I think they are taking a gamble. Also, rather see them cut up some modern jersey that the average joe mlb player is wearing 15 or more in a season than a vintage jersey.

Third, the game used card business is a huge business and unfortunately that is what it takes to keep the hobby alive. Believe me, in my profession (GM of a pub downtown chicago) we sell over 800lbs of pure grassfed beef every week... I am sure there are some vegetarians that curse my name but thats what it takes to run our restaurant.

Just my .02

jbean023
11-10-2013, 11:58 PM
If I meet other guys from card companies I'll single them out too, this is a collector forum, if its for Dave's collection then great but if it's going into cards I would like to know. If you blindly sold him a Maddux gamer without knowing who he was and that was cut into cards, I bet you would of like to have known that he was working for a card company. And if he didn't want to be known then his MLB auction user name should be cardcarver2013 instead of his name.

They aren't really taking a gamble they will have that jersey carved and probably have already sent Bryant autograph sheets and will make their money back before the baseball season starts. Its not just an AFL thing Im talking about the big picture.

BIGSTIG
11-11-2013, 06:42 AM
So we are to ASSUME that every person that works for a card company is buying for the sole intent of cutting up jerseys...even if they are collectors themselves??

Also, in my opinion if I sell something the buyer can do whatever he/she wants to with it. Would I be sad to year a "Maddux" I sold got cut up...sure. I am sure the guy that sold me a White Sox jersey a few years back would be sad I used it to wash my car, but I bought it...can do whatever I wanted with it.

Now thats my .04 cents :)

trsent
11-11-2013, 09:43 AM
So we are to ASSUME that every person that works for a card company is buying for the sole intent of cutting up jerseys...even if they are collectors themselves??

Also, in my opinion if I sell something the buyer can do whatever he/she wants to with it. Would I be sad to year a "Maddux" I sold got cut up...sure. I am sure the guy that sold me a White Sox jersey a few years back would be sad I used it to wash my car, but I bought it...can do whatever I wanted with it.

Now thats my .04 cents :)

Amen.