PDA

View Full Version : College vs. Pro

alexbartacustoms
11-05-2013, 07:56 PM
I've been thinking about this topic for a while now.

I used to own a Dallas Cowboys game-used jersey of Peerless Price.
Price never did much in the NFL, but he was one of the biggest collegiate stars of his day when he led Tennessee to a national title.

For players who were great in college, but for what ever reason never made it in the NFL; would you rather have a game-used item from the NFL or the NCAA?

Steeleraddict
11-05-2013, 08:08 PM
I have Cameron hewyards Ohio State's jersey where is was a standout. 1st round pick of the steelers in 2011. Hasnt done much yet. So really no interest in his pro jersey other than it being a steelers jersey by itself which are hard to come by.

aallanson
11-05-2013, 09:03 PM
College all the way

sox83cubs84
11-05-2013, 10:26 PM
NFL, unless it was from a college I particularly like (Northwestern, Illinois, USC).

Dave Miedema

Anabolicollege17
11-05-2013, 10:51 PM
All on preference. Now if your Legadu NaeNa and just flat out bumb it out your whole career. I rather nothing from him :D

Steeleraddict
11-05-2013, 10:51 PM
But hey, why not have both side by side. If given the choice that is.

Anabolicollege17
11-05-2013, 10:55 PM
I'm pro all the way. Just because the player is a pro and went to my college holds no affection what so ever with me. I didn't know him on campus, I didn't have conversation with him, I didn't have class with him. Who is he to me? Better yet who am I to him? I could care less that he's a pro who attended my college. Unless I had a friendship with him in college, I don't care to buy players who attended my school (I attended a pretty big school too).

I rather buy players who helped my favorite pro team, and players that made me the fan that I am today of that team. Doesn't matter what school they attended.

Just my preference and opinion. I'm sure there are tons of guys like the OSU guy who buy players that attended their college.

ousooner_85
11-06-2013, 09:16 AM
I prefer the Sooner college gear but dabble in the NFL stuff from time to time.

PAC
11-06-2013, 10:13 AM
College if it has a nameplate intact.

If no nameplate, then I'd rather have an NFL jersey with nameplate.

abstractheory
11-06-2013, 10:35 AM
Love the Broncos' stuff, but can't pass-up an Air Force Falcons game used helmet when I see one. That's about the extent of my college collecting habits, thanks God. I can't afford to do both.

tiger7171
11-06-2013, 11:46 AM
i collect LSU so i would rather have college. it all depends what your collection is based on.

UTeric3232
11-06-2013, 03:30 PM
I'm pro all the way. Just because the player is a pro and went to my college holds no affection what so ever with me. I didn't know him on campus, I didn't have conversation with him, I didn't have class with him. Who is he to me? Better yet who am I to him? I could care less that he's a pro who attended my college. Unless I had a friendship with him in college, I don't care to buy players who attended my school (I attended a pretty big school too).

I rather buy players who helped my favorite pro team, and players that made me the fan that I am today of that team. Doesn't matter what school they attended.

Just my preference and opinion. I'm sure there are tons of guys like the OSU guy who buy players that attended their college.

I collect college for the same reason you collect pro:

"I rather buy players who helped my favorite college team, and players that made me the fan that I am today of that team." -- and thats the Longhorns.

I stick to mostly college gear though, I dont buy pro jerseys of UT players.

But I dont agree with the opinion that you need to personally know a player to collect their gear. This can be flipped around for pro vs. college. Do you know the player in person as a pro? Have you talked to him? Had any contact with him? Who are you to him? Do you have a friendship with him in the pros?

Probably not for 99% of us, but we still collect.

OSUBucksCollector
11-06-2013, 04:54 PM
Ya it is just a strange topic to debate. It would be like comparing game used balls to collecting game used bats, etc. I like collecting Ohio State football because I love college football. I keep up on what is going on in college football way more than the NFL. For some reason I just really enjoy college items. Go Bucks!!!

alexbartacustoms
11-06-2013, 08:17 PM
HI guys-

Thanks for chiming in on this topic.
I seemed to have touched a nerve with the pro vs. college topic.
I wasn't trying to turn you guys against each other.

I have a little college in my collection, but most of my stuff is NFL.

My question was more about great college players who did not have pro careers.
Guys like: Peter Warrick, Maurice Clarett, Peerless Price and any number of great college quarterbacks who flame out in the NFL, Matt Leinart or Vince Young for example.

Given the choice, I'd rather have a college jersey of any of these guys over an NFL jersey.
They were college stars, and NFL nobodies; so IMO their college stuff should be more desirable than their NFL stuff.

Alex