PDA

View Full Version : In honor of Big Papi

Puig66
11-02-2013, 11:56 PM
For some reason I just felt compelled to add a nice David Ortiz game used jersey to my collection this year. Maybe it was because I was hoping for a Los Angeles/Boston World Series, or because I saw Big Papi tattoo the outfield seats of Dodger Stadium with crazy BP home runs when he was in town this year.

Maybe it was because I still was angry over the bombing at the marathon in March, seeing the horrific carnage to innocent people, and the spontaneous kindness of total strangers to help them. The worst of human nature. The best of human nature. I wanted to remember the good. I could do this, my mind reasoned, via my collection. What better time to support the city. What better way than through America's greatest pastime? Baseball always seems to bring everything back from darkness. I'm not sure, but I knew for some reason I wanted a piece of Boston this year. Having a jersey with that "B" (Boston) STRONG patch just felt right.

Papi was the logical choice. Of all the bearded boys, he had the most history. His blunt speech in Boston just after the season started addressing the city after the tragedy stuck in my mind. It had harsh language, but Boston had been treated harshly. It fit.

The guy still has monster power even at age 37. As a DH, I can see him playing to 40. Maybe longer. An occasional first base doesn't take much out of your legs. He could probably play until he's 45 if he keeps his bat speed.

So I went on a search. The Big Papi jersey market is thin. But eventually I asked for and was offered one I just had to have.

On August 17, 2013, the Yankees were visiting Boston. Ortiz hit his 24th home run of the year, the only home run of a 6-1 win over the rival Yankees. He also hit a double. I bought it.

Never once did I think about the post season again after I got the jersey. It's just a thing of beauty...pine tar on both shoulders, a diagonal smattering of pine tar extending up to the right from the "4", more pine tar under the right armpit, and a bit smudged on the lower left backside of the jersey. There is a loose thread coming off the top right point of the"R" in RED SOX which can be seen as Papi rounds the bases in the video of his home run:

http://wapc.mlb.com/play/?content_id=29794555&mlbtax=undefined

...and another loose thread coming off the middle right of the "3" on the back. But the bottom line, the jersey is MLB authenticated, so any photo matching is just a bonus.

But then the postseason came. When the smoke settled, fittingly, Boston was still there. And like a movie script already written (as Gomes alluded to, "...Just press start") the Red Sox won the World Series in the end. Big Papi goes on an absolute tear reaching base 19 of 25 times in the series, hitting .688 with an insane 1.948 OPS, winning the Series MVP.

Needless to say, I couldn't be happier. But I still go back to what happened in March, and how this team stuck together and tugged on each others beards all the way to the end. They won it for their city. In honor of them all, here's my Big Papi jersey. I hope you all enjoy it as much as I do.

Bram

Puig66
11-02-2013, 11:58 PM
Last picture...this site only allows 10 pictures per post I guess.

sportsnbikes
11-02-2013, 11:59 PM
Nice digs man!

jbean023
11-03-2013, 12:53 AM
That's beautiful, I would like to see one of his playoff bats on here soon. Hopefully you can pick one up!

coxfan
11-03-2013, 07:01 AM
Big Papi made a good impression on me throughout the postseason with his consistent show of good sportsmanship. For example, when his bat accidentally hit Molina's helmet, he spoke with concern to Molina as he was running full-speed to first ( making it). That's hard to do! And there were other good examples of good sportsmanship by him.

MLB.com reports a 20 per cent jump in TV ratings this year throughout the postseason. The numbers were generally among the best in a number of years in the ratings department.

Although I'm a Braves and Rangers fan for family reasons, I like the Red Sox this year for two reasons: 1) After 86 years of loyal frustration, their fans are finally getting their due. 2) I'm a big fan of Jackie Bradley, Jr from his days as a South Carolina gamecock. Bradley's a great guy who's great with fans. Though his percentages weren't high in his 37 Red Sox games this year, you can't beat his efficiency: In only 18 hits, he scored 18 runs with 10 RBI.

dangerzone79
11-03-2013, 02:06 PM
Gorgeous jersey man, congrats. Papi is the king.

gameused
11-03-2013, 08:53 PM
Sweet "Big Papi" jersey! Ortiz carried the team in the World Series and deserved the MVP trophy. Thanks for sharing.

Bobby

allstarsplus
11-04-2013, 07:35 AM
This is one bizarre Big Papi item. Do you remember when Big Papi smashed the dugout phone in Baltimore this year? Here is the ball that caused his anger and retribution. It was purchased by a friend of his in our store and then she got him to autograph it in Spanish "Rompi el telefono after". I think it translates "Broke the phone after" with a smiley face :) .

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8nfO-7SB47I