PDA

View Full Version : EBAY and game used...possible to clean up?

KGoldin
10-25-2013, 10:49 PM
Every day I read posts in auction item section about bad GU on EBAY.
Would a concerted effort with EBAY security help? I ask this because I am in occasional touch and a direct access to EBAY security fraud dept where they had previously initiated contact with me to help keep autograph items with counterfeit Score Board COAs off of EBAY.
I have detailed knowledge of every one ever under contract for autographs, the type of items they signed, etc.

for EBAY autographs, there is a banned COA list, and 'approved' COA list (most here know this).
Not that I will have ANY INPUT or any impact, but I could try. If there were guidelines to selling GU on EBAY, what would they be? I have my own thoughts, but am interested in hearing from the forum .

again, may be a crazy idea, but I am one of those people who when I read about something every day (and every day there is an 'ebay complaint' thread) I try to figure out if something could actually be accomplished.

Ken Goldin

sogcollector
10-26-2013, 08:19 AM
One way to clean it up is to educate many of the game used sellers. Educate them to the fact that most of the jerseys they are selling are so terribly overpriced that the chances of finding a serious buyer is next to none. Finding a no reserve auction for a quality piece is hard to do anymore. However, astronomical buy it nows are extremely common. For example, the 3995 Evan Gattis throwback jersey just listed. How does a serious collector even approach the seller to make a dealer when the price is just so over the top? I think ignorance and lack of knowledge about the items they are selling is prevalent among g many eBay sellers.

timb69
10-26-2013, 08:51 AM
I have reported several sellers on there who sell fake jerseys, and the massive volume that is on there, it's hard for them to clean up. They just can't take someone's word that it's fake, they need proof. Which is why this boils over to other memorabilia and autographed items. I just bought a Vince Young "player issued" 3007 Pro Bowl jersey from there, and it's a tough one to call, if it's fake or not. The Reebok vectors on teh sleeves are legit, fully stitched like a gamer, but the NFL logo on the neck is suspicious...

http://i58.photobucket.com/albums/g267/Gh0sTeR/Sports%20Jerseys/IMG_4339_zpsa9e04ffe.jpg (http://s58.photobucket.com/user/Gh0sTeR/media/Sports%20Jerseys/IMG_4339_zpsa9e04ffe.jpg.html)

http://i58.photobucket.com/albums/g267/Gh0sTeR/Sports%20Jerseys/IMG_4343_zpsbf1b7c7c.jpg (http://s58.photobucket.com/user/Gh0sTeR/media/Sports%20Jerseys/IMG_4343_zpsbf1b7c7c.jpg.html)

http://i58.photobucket.com/albums/g267/Gh0sTeR/Sports%20Jerseys/IMG_4342_zps129dd9b0.jpg (http://s58.photobucket.com/user/Gh0sTeR/media/Sports%20Jerseys/IMG_4342_zps129dd9b0.jpg.html)

http://i58.photobucket.com/albums/g267/Gh0sTeR/Sports%20Jerseys/IMG_4344_zpsf22c074b.jpg (http://s58.photobucket.com/user/Gh0sTeR/media/Sports%20Jerseys/IMG_4344_zpsf22c074b.jpg.html)

rufusandherschel
10-26-2013, 10:43 AM
Although an admirable thought/idea with good intention, what has been proposed would be a 'Herculean' task. eBay is in business to facilitate transactions, i.e., make money, and leave the (product) knowledge , honesty, integrity, etc. aspects entirely up to the seller and buyer.

3arod13
10-26-2013, 11:36 AM
I liked it back when we were able to email auction links to ebay about a bad item and they would take action. They took that away from us, and that has definitely hurt. I realize ebay puts the responsibility on the seller/buyer, but it's their website and they should be held accountable.

If the police raid my house, and find people in there doing and selling drugs, am I'm not home, am I held accountable since this is being done in my home, even though I wasn't there? Whether I'm also doing it or not?

Ok, maybe that's not a great example.

KGoldin
10-26-2013, 12:40 PM
Back in the 1990s, An attorney who worked for me at score board named Pat Wujcik helped write this law.
http://www.leginfo.ca.gov/cgi-bin/displaycode?section=civ&group=01001-02000&file=1739.7

If this was applied to all game used items do you think it would help?

rufusandherschel
10-26-2013, 02:55 PM
Back in the 1990s, An attorney who worked for me at score board named Pat Wujcik helped write this law.
http://www.leginfo.ca.gov/cgi-bin/displaycode?section=civ&group=01001-02000&file=1739.7

If this was applied to all game used items do you think it would help?

eBay operates world-wide. Who, and how, would such a proposal be enforced?

Griffey24fan
10-26-2013, 04:38 PM
Realistically it is not going to happen, eBay makes money tons of money from forgeries (autographs or game used). I constantly report sellers selling fakes with a homemade COA or GAI and nothing is ever done.

If something were to be done about the fakes then they would lose a ton of money, I don't see it happening. Good luck if you decide to pursue it and I would suggest looking at the autograph portion of eBay as well after.

ivo610
10-26-2013, 04:43 PM
One way to clean it up is to educate many of the game used sellers. Educate them to the fact that most of the jerseys they are selling are so terribly overpriced that the chances of finding a serious buyer is next to none. Finding a no reserve auction for a quality piece is hard to do anymore. However, astronomical buy it nows are extremely common. For example, the 3995 Evan Gattis throwback jersey just listed. How does a serious collector even approach the seller to make a dealer when the price is just so over the top? I think ignorance and lack of knowledge about the items they are selling is prevalent among g many eBay sellers.

There isn't anything ethically wrong with someone over valuing their items, it's just annoying.

People don't list a no reserve auction for quality items bc when they do they get hosed on them. All it attracts is bottom feeders in the hobby.

joelsabi
10-26-2013, 06:29 PM
Until Sports Memorablia is regulated within the industry, eBay can do the following.

1) Items with a reserve over $1000 or more should be signed off by a paid expert on eBay.
2) Require proof of authenticity, in the form of a photo, for all items with reserve over $1000 or more.
3) Sellers who offer opinions about their items must list their qualification for giving their opinion.
4) eBay should have sport memorabilia professionals who oversees all items over $1000
5) Hire Dave Miedema for Quick Opionions.

The amount I am going by is felony dollar amount in some states. Maybe a misdemeanor amount would suffice too.

otherwise just stay educated.

paul457
10-26-2013, 07:48 PM
I just bought a Vince Young "player issued" 3007 Pro Bowl jersey from there, and it's a tough one to call, if it's fake or not. The Reebok vectors on teh sleeves are legit, fully stitched like a gamer, but the NFL logo on the neck is suspicious...

Sorry to say, but IMHO the pics you posted are from a fake jersey. The NFL logos are a dead giveaway, due to the sloppy stitching on the 'NFL' writing (collar logo). Also see how the stars are all connected by a stitch on the collar logo? Same deal with the way the letters are connected on the 'Pro Bowl' writing? They don't do that on the real version. Also, one NFL logo has a black outline around the football, the other doesn't... they should be consistent.

I'd be very suspicious.

paul457
10-26-2013, 07:59 PM
Back to the original topic - they can do MUCH better than the system that's currently in place, but why would they? It's making them money, and there is no recourse to eBay when people buy junk.

I've contacted several sellers who were blantently attempting to be fraudulent, and none of them have ever admitted to it, or even thanked me for for a heads-up. Some of them got downright ugly about it. I've also contacted buyers after they bought fake stuff (like 'game used' helmets) - never received a reply to indicate any of these people even cared that they spent their money on junk.

Honestly, I think if you put guidelines in place, where to list something as "game used", it needs to have a COA (from an approved list) or a photo match displayed on the listing. If you can't provide either, it needs to be listed as an "issued" item. Maybe that's not the best route, but bottom line - If you can't prove it's game used, it shouldn't be listed as such.

It'll never happen, but it would be nice to see the artificially inflated prices drop to a normal level, and to see less people being taken advantage of. Some of this crap makes me absolutely sick.

ivo610
10-26-2013, 08:14 PM
I just want them to make it easier for me to sort through game used items. Get the damn cards and other crap out of there.

I guess I wouldn't mind them enforcing tougher sanctions on people. Some sellers are notorious on eBay for fakes and consistently list, and it's just rather annoying to see their stuff.

Lots of stuff without a COA or too old to easily photomatch hits the bay, and it's good. I don't see a reason to stop those listings.

sportsnbikes
10-26-2013, 10:26 PM
Man this is a tough one. There are so many if and thens.

I know for one that if I was given a bat by a player and some day I wanted to sell it, I don't feel like I should have to get it authenticated. Paying for that in many cases, would be as much or more than the value of the bat. With that being said, I do like the idea of having to have a COA for items over a certain dollar amount.

I'd love to see eBay cleaned up but even the people who are supposed to be experts don't seem to do a very good job of authenticating items. I don't trust most of them myself. I've had every item I've sent in come back as couldn't be authenticated. I got them in-person. I haven't sent in a ton of items but the small sample size is enough for me to not trust them. I am not the only one with that complaint either. I know many people that share my experience. Then there are the "mistakes" of authenticating GU items that were found to be bogus. It seems as though you can't trust very many people, even the ones who seem to on the up and up.

ivo610
10-26-2013, 10:45 PM
eBay should hire Lou lampson to clean up the fraud

ChiGuy1
10-26-2013, 11:25 PM
Buyers need to educate themselves, simple as that. If sellers want better prices they need to go and prove the legitimacy of their item. Authenticity and price goes hand in hand. Bad items will stop selling then if people know what's good and bad.

eBay just needs to take comments about items seriously and have either a department or third party to resolve any concerns. But they don't care since they want their fees and that means anything and everything on their site selling.