PDA

View Full Version : Zeke Bonura Side Written

b.heagy
11-29-2006, 03:14 PM
Mike and Jim,
Came across this Zeke Bonura Side Written bat with lathe knobs on each end. No stampings of any kind. Just what is written in grease pencil. Was this a bat that was simply never finished? I was told it is a "template" used to make his bats. Can either of you clarify what this is. Thanks for your time.

MSpecht
11-29-2006, 05:52 PM
Hi Bill--

The bat pictured is generally identified as a "template bat," "lathe bat," or "pattern bat." Basically, as the terms suggest, the bat was modeled to the specifications of Zeke Bonura and thereafter used by the H & B craftsmen as the template from which to turn subsequent orders of this model. In this case, given the sidewriting and the presence of the nubs on each end, the likely scenario is that Zeke Bonura returned a bat to the H & B factory on 7/6/1940, either a bat of his or possibly another player's, and asked for a model to be made off of it , likely with some modifications. The pictured bat was then manufactured, and was identified as "His (Bonura's) 7-6-40." The bat subsequently would have been given a Model Number when H & B began that system of identification.

I do not have Bonura's factory records with which to identify it further, but here is an example:

A record for Cardinals' HOF pitcher Jesse Haines appears as: “3-28-25 Heine Mueller Use Jack Smith 10-29-21 / 35-36 oz." This refers to a bat made for Jesse Haines from a Heine Mueller bat; however, the Heine Mueller bat had actually been made from a Jack Smith bat that was modeled on 10/29/21. Therefore the bat maker would use a Jack Smith 10-29-21 Model as the pattern for making the Jesse Haines bats that were shipped in 1925. I guess it's little wonder that H & B instituted a new method of bat identification in the early 1940's.

Good Luck in future collecting

Mike Jackitout7@aol.com (Jackitout7@aol.com)

b.heagy
11-29-2006, 06:27 PM
Mike,
Thanks for the info. Very helpful. I received this bat with 5 others unfortunatly the knubs on the others were cut off. 4 are non major leaguers. The other is an interesting Carr Smith dated 1928 Washington Amer. Thanks again for taking the time to answer my question.

Take Care

MSpecht
11-30-2006, 11:43 AM
Hi Bill--

Check the other bats closely to determine if the nubs have been cut off by someone who owned the bats before you fior display purposes, or if it appears they were cut, sanded, and finished in preparation for pro use. If the latter, check for signs of game use. If found, ithat would likely indicate that the bat is a pro model that was used by the player whose name is side written, and returned to H & B for additional replication on the date indicated. Generally, a bat that was professionally used and returned to the factory generates greater value than a lathe bat that never left the tool room.

Good Luck

Mike Jackitout7@aol.com (Jackitout7@aol.com)