PDA

View Full Version : Thread Idea

MarlinsFan1993
10-19-2013, 09:43 AM
So I've been mulling over starting a thread to share with everyone specific discrepancies I have found over the past 2 years of collecting game used jerseys. These include jersey characteristics that I have discovered while inspecting jerseys I know to be genuine (MLB authenticated, straight from the team) that are surprising or do not follow exemplars. Here is a list of some of the characteristics I would discuss and hope others would join in on the conversation:

1. Stitching methods (unique)
2. Team strip tags
3. Wash tags differences
4. Patch differences
5. Any other specific uniqueness to a jersey who's authenticity is accepted as genuine

Of course, since I only collect Marlins jerseys my findings will be somewhat limited, yet I feel that several of these "acceptable" differences I have discovered could also be found in jerseys of all MLB teams as well as exist in some capacity on jerseys of other sports.

My question is whether or not this type of thread would prove useful in better educating us on our beloved hobby or consequentially serve as a tool that could be used for harm by unintentionally educating those who manufacture fraudulent jerseys.

Please let me know your thoughts and if you think this thread would serve it's intended purpose.

joelsabi
10-19-2013, 10:20 AM
My question is whether or not this type of thread would prove useful in better educating us on our beloved hobby or consequentially serve as a tool that could be used for harm by unintentionally educating those who manufacture fraudulent jerseys.

Please let me know your thoughts and if you think this thread would serve it's intended purpose.

A similar thought about educating the criminals was brought up by Joel Trsent.

I didn't mention this theory as I have learned if I educate criminals it helps make their business stronger. The first thought I had when I uncovered this situation was why wouldn't they have waited as you suggested but I didn't suggest it as you did as I'm not here to educate the criminals.

Is this a concern or will education supersede any attempt of a criminal or scam artist of using this information to their own advantage.

I think any information would assist a potential buyer prior to making a sale and getting burned when self authenticating. I prefer to ask certain friends in the hobby who I trust and are experts. What I have found by learning about forgeries for my other hobbies is that tricksters thrive on the uneducated so the more info out there, the better it is for the consumer.

For the most part. tricksters have already done their homework on what passes on the surface, what can be seen cosmetically in photos. imho

MarlinsFan1993
10-19-2013, 09:01 PM
Joel,

Thanks for your thoughts, I am inclined to agree with you.

Anyone else feel a thread like this would serve a good purpose?