PDA

View Full Version : Boggs 82-83 records

kahuna23
11-29-2006, 08:26 AM
Does anyone have Wade Boggs records from 82-83.I am looking at a P89,cupped end 34 3/4 to 35 IN. I do not have the weight and it appears to have a natural finish.

Thanks,
Steve

MSpecht
11-29-2006, 11:16 AM
Hi Steve

A review of Wade Boggs' H & B factory records from 7/5/76 to 9/7/01 documents the only orders of Model P89C bats shipped to him for professional use as follows:

4/16/80 35 inch / 32 ounce Natural Finish
6/30/80 35 inch / 32 ounce Flame treated/Burned Finish

Boggs first signature model H & B was shipped on 10/7/76 and his Major League debut occurred on 4/10/82. It would appear from your description that your bat is supported by H & B factory records as a very early, very rare model, Wade Boggs pre-rookie bat

Good Luck in future collecting.

Mike

kahuna23
11-30-2006, 05:46 AM
Mike -

Here is a link to the actual auction http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=015&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&viewitem=&item=250054622205&rd=1&rd=1 where you can see the pictures. I was wondering what you thought about the use characteristics.

Thanks Again!
Steve

JimCaravello
11-30-2006, 09:51 AM
Hi Steve - I believe you let me a message in the Expert's section and I apologize I haven't responded to that question or this post. I have been in the weeds the last couple of days.........

I have seen Mike's post above - I don't have the Boggs records directly in front of me - but from Mike's info posted, the orders above were either flame burned or natural finished bats.

Here is my opinion - and its an opinion, as its very hard sometimes to qualify a bat without really seeing it in person. The bat appears to be a natural finished bat - The only minor concern I have with the bat on ebay is that the pine tar application looks a little funny / un-natural.......I am in no way saying this bat is not good. Sometimes pine tar applications just don't show up that well in photos. I would also ask the seller where he got the bat and what type of provenance there may be.

The #26 on the knob looks good and is similar to bats I have handled from this period and others I have seen in the market over the years. The use appears to be on the correct side of the barrel for Boggs - although its hard to tell if its hammered.

If you are seriously interested in this piece, I would flush out more answers with the Seller and make sure you can return the bat if you are not satisfied with it when you get it.

Also - make sure of the cupped end as well as the length and weight of the bat in comparison to the records.

If I can be of any further help, please let me know. Good luck!! Jim

kilroy20
01-06-2007, 02:56 PM
The ebay photo is for a 1982 Wade Boggs Rookie Bat. The records and my own collection of 40 Boggs bats agree that it is a real bat. I would have sent the message sooner, however computer was down. I have the same bat but a Pawtucket 1981 P89 with a WB on the knob which he did in the minors.
Rich Urban
gamewornkilroy20@aol.com