PDA

View Full Version : Paragon Auction - what did you pick up?

tom1315
10-14-2013, 06:03 AM
I thought the recent Paragon Auction had some very nice items. I thought prices for the football items were very good. I won the 2003 NY Giants #67 Chris Bober helmet. Looks like a very nice gamer and I'll be able to photo-match I believe.

What else did anyone pickup?

Tom

Go Pack! NC State 1981 graduate

dcgreg25
10-14-2013, 08:15 PM
I got the Everson Walls Browns jersey. Great auction BTW, while not perfect they had some great player-sourced items including a great collection of Larry Nance game used items.

jbean023
10-14-2013, 11:25 PM
I don't understand the collector today, I haven't been collecting for 20 years or anything but I feel a little common sense is needed in collecting as well as collecting what you want. A Bears collector will pay 5K for an Urlacher jersey but only 2,400 for a Walter Payton. The Seahawks collectors will pay 1K for a Golden Tate jersey but only $650 for a Steve Largent. Niners collectors will pay 6K for a Kapernick that's still rising in prices on NFL auctions but only 1,200 for a Steve Young. All that just mind boggles me that would be like me paying 2K for a DeMarco Murray jersey but not going any higher than $750 on an Emmitt Smith or paying 2K for a Jeff Samardzija jersey and only going 500$ for a Fergie Jenkins. I just don't have any answer for why that happens, these guys are already hall of famers and don't have near as many jerseys out there. Just my two cents on the Paragon Auction that took place.

genius
10-15-2013, 12:33 AM
shut out--would have liked the Dorsett Pitt even though it was 1974 (Dorsett sophomore season) and not 1976. '74 had the royal blue numerals and stencil lettering. '76 had dark blue numerals and thin block lettering. Still a great shirt though.

Phil316
10-15-2013, 02:56 AM
I don't understand the collector today, I haven't been collecting for 20 years or anything but I feel a little common sense is needed in collecting as well as collecting what you want. A Bears collector will pay 5K for an Urlacher jersey but only 2,400 for a Walter Payton. The Seahawks collectors will pay 1K for a Golden Tate jersey but only $650 for a Steve Largent. Niners collectors will pay 6K for a Kapernick that's still rising in prices on NFL auctions but only 1,200 for a Steve Young. All that just mind boggles me that would be like me paying 2K for a DeMarco Murray jersey but not going any higher than $750 on an Emmitt Smith or paying 2K for a Jeff Samardzija jersey and only going 500$ for a Fergie Jenkins. I just don't have any answer for why that happens, these guys are already hall of famers and don't have near as many jerseys out there. Just my two cents on the Paragon Auction that took place.

Honestly i think it comes down to an item being authentic. Alot of those HOFer's jersey's you mention pop up on almost every auction. Just my observation.

ivo610
10-15-2013, 10:29 AM

All the former players you mentioned have a history of going for crazy numbers if the authentication is right. AM sold a great Emmitt maybe a year ago that went over 12k I believe bc it was easily photomatched and might of had paperwork. Largents are never super expensive. Youngs are pricey if they have bronco tape and are able to be authenticated.

Every auction it seems has a terrible Payton jersey with "light" wear and some incorrect tagging. Put a legit one on an auction site with history and everything correct on it and it will go for 15-20k

Also its all about now, jerseys it seems are most valuable to ftball collectors when the player is playing in his prime.

Kid4hof03
10-15-2013, 12:49 PM
I got the Mike Renfro Cowboys helmet, Renfro game ball, Walls game ball and a Bernie Williams bat. I got shut out on the Dorsett game balls and a Walls int leader trophy but am happy about what I ended up with.

Samets
10-15-2013, 01:24 PM
I agree. The description on the Payton scared away more bidders but at least it was the truth!

"This jersey was sold in our second auction and was returned as a authentication company said they could not find Payton or McMahon wearing this style A in Payton."

If someone can find a photomatch they scored a whale but what are the chances...

minnesotabats
10-15-2013, 01:43 PM
I picked up the Joe Mauer 2006, 2007 and 2009 game used bats and the Mauer 2005 hat. Although, I already have examples of these bats, it is always nice to acquire additional batting title year bats, including an MVP bat to my collection. All the bats showed really nice use on line, so looking forward to seeing them in person.

Always looking for Mauer game used items especially catchers gear, helmets, etc. If you have something you're looking at parting with drop me an email at bgsmith241@gmail.com

tom1315
10-15-2013, 08:35 PM
I got the Mike Renfro Cowboys helmet, Renfro game ball, Walls game ball and a Bernie Williams bat. I got shut out on the Dorsett game balls and a Walls int leader trophy but am happy about what I ended up with.

Nice pick-up re the Renfro Cowboys helmet and your other items. There were several nice helmets I thought and I bid on the Bart Oates SB helmet a couple of times till it got too pricey for my liking. I also liked the 1997 Tim Brown Oakland Raiders helmet...but was focused on the Oates SF one.

Would love to see some of your pictures of the Renfro when it arrives.

Tom

Go Pack! NC State 1981 alumni

Kid4hof03
10-15-2013, 09:17 PM
Thanks Tom, when it arrives I will be glad to post pictures.

I have wanted a good Landry era Cowboys helmet for some time. My first choice in this auction was the Everson Walls, that one got to the point where I couldn't get it and the game balls I wanted so I went for the Renfro. Very happy with the outcome.

miracleonice80
10-16-2013, 01:48 PM
I picked up a 1970's Dave Osborn jersey and a 1969-70 Grady Alderman jersey.....I am pretty happy with what I got.....still looking for more Vikes stuff from the 1960's-70's era......

solarlottry
10-19-2013, 06:14 PM
I was outbid on the 2007 Larry Allen 49er Pro Bowl uni after 3AM which surprised me. I would have loved to add his 49er PB uni but thought that anything greater than the 1100$ I had bid was a bit much. Looking back he is a HOF player so I should have been more aggressive. If the winner is a member here and ever wishes to move it please contact me.

As for the Young and Rice shirts Paragon had listed, I did not bid on either as both looked suspect to me. If anyone wants my opinion on either shirt please email me.

Always buying 49er game worn items.
Paul
garciajones@yahoo.com