PDA

View Full Version : Buying Sports Memorabilia on Craigslist

joelsabi
10-12-2013, 08:02 PM
Just wondering what you think about buying stuff sports memorabilia through Craigslist.

Seems like most of what I search are regular sports fan who happen to have some stuff and are trying to get rid of it. But most of the time the prices are outrageous or out of touch with current market prices and it seems like a waste of time.

Is it worth looking and have you bought anything through Craigslist.

Also have you attempted any listing outside your area and how were you able to complete the transaction safely

Thanks in advance

DJaeger22
10-12-2013, 08:37 PM
I've only seen a few pieces of sports memorabilia for sale on craigslist and they have been pretty overpriced. I've seen mostly 80's-90's sports cards for sale for hundreds of dollars. Once I did see a game worn Delmarva Shorebirds jersey for sale for more than the team was selling them for.

I do collect bobble heads and have seen/gotten some good deals on them in the past on there.

I buy and sell random things on Craigslist and you get an eclectic mix of people but I have had safe transactions every time. I always meet the person in a public place, mostly a parking lot, and have someone come with me just in case.

I would say that in the case of buying something from a complete stranger to ALWAYS have some sort of back up plan in the off chance something happens.

Klattsy
10-13-2013, 05:31 PM
Our version of Craiglist here in Australia is called Gumtree (although owned by eBay...) and yeah, things are overpriced. I've seen 1 decent item on there ever. People wanting $1000's for a couple hundred base cards. Not much else though.

ethanoah
10-14-2013, 07:45 PM
Finding items on craigslist is tough. I live in Arizona so you would think there would be a lot of baseball items for sale... Not the case. A lot of times just retired minor league cracked bats that people want $50 per. I have made a few contacts through it though.

Ethan

ironmanfan
10-15-2013, 07:37 AM
As others have mentioned, 99% of what is listed on Craigslist is grossly overpriced. I still check it from time to time and while I believe I've posted this before, this by far is the best item I've obtained. When I got to the guy's house, I was pleasantly surprised that he was the grandson of Orioles HOF broadcaster, the late Chuck Thompson (who was cleaning out his garage prior to moving) and this Esskay Hot Dog vendor item was something that he took from Memorial Stadium:

http://i88.photobucket.com/albums/k172/whhp72/Game%20Used/craigs12000712-1.jpg (http://s88.photobucket.com/user/whhp72/media/Game%20Used/craigs12000712-1.jpg.html)

PAC
10-25-2013, 01:34 PM
Once in a while you get lucky.

I got a game used Clemson Tigers football helmet off Craigslist once.

Title was just "Clemson helmet" and description said something like "real deal helmet still has paint & scratches on it from the other team in the bowl game."

No pics.

Took a chance and went to meet the guy. Turned out to be the player himself, who was a starter and had worn the helmet during every game of the previous season, including their bowl game. The helmet is beautiful and will forever be a centerpiece of my collection. And it was a bargain too.

tella27
12-01-2013, 06:04 PM
I live in Chicago so there are nice items from time to time but its junk 90% of the time. The only nice thing about CL is you can look the item over before paying.

Preston
12-04-2013, 12:28 PM
I got lucky one time and found 2 Derrick Mason game worn jerseys on craigslist listed in TN but the seller found them in a storage auction in NC. Got a great deal on both and one was a hammered 1998 Tennessee Oilers one which is one of my favorites in my collection to this day.

cfern023
12-04-2013, 11:42 PM
I picked up a UDA Authenticated and Framed Jordan Jersey for $170 on CL. Came with original COA and all. The guy was a pretty big MJ fan and a decent guy too.

Should have kept in touch.