PDA

View Full Version : 10 Years in the Making - TAMPA BAY RAYS Game Used Wall

jake33
10-11-2013, 10:19 AM
After working to complete this complex project for about 10 years, I am nearing completion. This wall contains a game used item from every single season of Tampa Bay Devil Rays/Rays baseball. Every logo that the team has worn on the field is represented in this wall. I wanted to make a very standardized collection without making it cluttered with junk or meaningless items. Each cube unit will feature item(s) just involving that particular player only.

This is about 90% done right now.

First for the cube shelving, I purchased a item from a company called Way Basics. It just so happened that the cubes fit the width of my wall by less than a half of an inch, so an excellent fit in that regard. Next, the cubes perfectly fit batting helmets inside them, so that dictated a lot of what I could do. Also, cost is a factor. The lowest I was able to search around to get this cube shelving was a case of 6 for $104 off ebay. So with ebay bucks, I’d get back about $2.50 per 6. So around $17.00 per cube with shipping included is what it came to.

Now don’t get me wrong the cubes are not made all that great, but what works out well is that with this set up, you don’t see the top, the bottom, the back or the sides and then a good chunk of the front facing has locker plates covering it up. All this makes the cube itself mostly just a structure piece and not a display piece. The focus will be on the memorabilia itself.

Also, I used a double sided tape and each locker nameplate is put on with special Velcro that is made for plastics and will not ruin or damage the plastic if it ever would be removed. I was able to get a ton of that Velcro at trade shows that I work at for free. It was probably a good $35 in high end Velcro that I was able to save on costs.

Items in this display are as follows (authenticated items are noted as such):

Bottom row of cubes from left to right

Eric Hinske – Auto 2008 ALDS authenticated cleats with a 3-relic auto GU card. Locker plate used – Braves Spring Training NP

Steve Cox – Auto 2001 and 2002 GU DeviL Rays helmet. USA flag patch was removed from right ear flap area. Photo matched to the first game in NY after 9/11 against Clemens and Yankees. Displayed with 00 Bowman Auto card and sweetspot MLB ball. Locker plate used: Custom one that I made.

Tom Foley – 2008 GU coaches flapless helmet, inscribed on front bill 2008 season, possibly worn in the World Series. Displayed with game used authenticated 2001 baseball which is signe don sweetspot by Foley and displayed with 1979 minor league card signed also by Foley. Locker plate used: 2004 Opening day authenticated, autographed by Tom as well.

Toby Hall – 2003 GU flapless catcher’s helmet. Signed on front bill, originallypurchased from LRM with photo of Toby signing and inscribing 2003 best fielding percentage. Displayed with sweetsport Minor League ball, and GU auto card. Locker plate used: 2005 authenticated opening day.

Scott Cursi (longtime Rays bullpen catcher) – 2006 GU and inscribed 2006 season autographed throwback red Tampa Tarpons flapless helmet MLB authenticated. Displayed with 2002 authenticated opening day baseball and a signed game used base card from 2006 with a team photo. Locker plate used: 2011 Openign Day authenticated and autographed by Scott.

Josh Paul – flapless 2007 season catcher’s helmet. Signed and inscribed on front bill “game used.” Displayed with autographed 2006 locker nameplate, sweetspot baseball and auto game used bat card.

Michel Hernandez – authenticated 2009 throwback DeviL Rays helmet auto and MLB authenticated, inscribed game used on front bill. Displayed with sweetspot MLB ball and auto card. Locker plate used: 2008 ALCS game 2 authenticated nameplate.

Josh Paul – 2006 gmae used coolflow batting helmet. Signed on front bill, displayed with auto baseball on sweetspot and game used bat card. Lockerplate used: Angels 2005 Opening Day.

Randy Choate – 2010 throwback Tampa Tarpons cleats, auto and MLB authenticated, displayed with auto Rookie card. Locker plate used: 2004 Diamondbacks Opening Day MLB authenticated.

SECOND ROW FROM BOTTOM (LEFT TO RIGHT)

Hank Blalock – 2010 game used helmet, auto MLB auth baseball, 1/1 game used jersey card auto. Locker plate used 2006 Texas Rangers.
Elliot Johnson – 2012 throwback MLB authenticated autographed helmet. Displayed with 2008 Opening day logo MLB ball and auto rookie card. Locker plate used: 2011 throwback game auto and authenticated.

Eric Hinske – 2008 game used cracked batting helmet authenticated and autographed on front bill. Displayed with 4-relic jersey card which is autographed. Displayed with 2008 WS logo MLB auto ball. Locker plate used: Braves regular season, MLB authenticated and used in his 1250th career MLB game.

Casey Kotchman – 2011 Tampa Smokers game used auto authenticated throwback helmet. Displayed with game used auto button card numbered 3/6 and his game used career hit #754. Locker plate used: Braves 2010 Spring training.

Ben Zobrist – 2012 new style Game used batting helmet. Authenticated and used for his 20th homerun of the season. Inscribed game used on the front bill and auto’d. Displayed with jumbo ASG patch card /6 and Ben’s 2013 Opening day autographed and authenticated game used opening day baseball. This was the first hit for the Rays in the 2013 season. Locker plate used: Pending its arrival still…. 2013 All Star game nameplate of Zobrist – authenticated.

Russell Branyan – 2006 Tampa Tarpons auto and authenticated game used batting helmet. Displayed with auto baseball and 2-relic game used card. Locker plate used: 2005 Brewers Opening Day MLB Authenticated

Shawn Riggans – helmet is not shown in photo. Mailed this helmet to Shawn to autograph on the front bill, used in his final MLB at bat. Will be displayed with 2008 ALDS clinching game used Authenticated baseball.

Carl Crawford – 2007 St. Pete Saints game used batting helmet auto’d and authenticated. Displaed with sweetspot auto ball, and jumbo jersey patch card that was signed in person. Locker palte used autographed and authenticated 2008 Disney Series locker nameplate.

Stephen Vogt – 2102 game used batting helmet. Used in his last at bat with the Rays, authenticated. Displaed with game sued baseball, auto card and his 2012 authenticated locker nameplate.

THIRD ROW OF CUBES

James Shields – 2008 Jax red Caps game used batting helmet. Shields batted in this game as a pinch hitter and reached on an error. This was the first time in team history a pitcher was used as a pinch hitter. Auto and authenticated. Displayed with auto WS baseball and auto GU card. Locker plate used: 2012 All Star Game, authenticated and autographed in person.

Brad Hawpe – 2010 game used batting helmet signed on front bill displayed with auto MLB sweetspot baseball, and auto RC. Locker plate used: 2009 NL All Star team, auto and authenticated.

Eric Hinske – 2008 game used St. Pete Pelicans GU batitng helmet auto and authenticated. Displayed with jumbo patch card and auto sweetspot baseball. Locker plate used: 2005 Opening Day Blue Jays

Reid Brignac – 2010 Tampa Tarpons game used batting helmet, auto and authenticated. Different logo than the 06 Tarpons. Displayed with signed 08 WS ball, and BGS 9.5 04 Sp rookie card /325

Dan Johsnon – 2011 game issued pink batting gloves for Mother’s day. Authenticated as issued since he did not play in the game, but for sure show use, likely used for BP hitting. Displayed with 10/10 auto jersey card and his 2008 Rays locker nameplate.

Dave Martinez – 1998/99 game used batting helmet, signed on front bill of helmet. Dave verified for me that he used this helmet in person when signing. Could have been used to get the first hit in Rays team history on 3/31/98, shows heavy use. Displayed with auto minor league card, 09 ASG baseball under the logo. Locker plate used: 2011 Opening aut auto and authenticated.

Gregg Zaun – 2009 auto and authenticated batting helmet. Mailed this to Gregg personally to autograph in August 2013. Inscribe don the front bill 2009 season game used helmet. Displayed with auto MLb ball 1997 WS logo and 96 leaf sign series auto card. Locker plate used: 2009 Rays nameplate (rays spelled his name “GREG”) autographed as well.

Ben Zobrist -2009 throwback Devil Rays auto and authenticated helmet, inscribed game used. Displayed with BGS 9.5 auto 04 sp rookie card and game used hit #401 (triple vs twins) autographed on seetspot. Locker plate used: 2009 All Star game, auto and authenticated

Matt Joyce – 2011 game uased auto batting helmet on front bill. Displayed with sweetspot MLB auto, and game used auto card. Locker plate used: Autographed and authenticated 2011 All Star game

TOP ROW of CUBES (3 cubes space for tv and 3 more cubes)

Jake McGee – 2013 throwback auto and authenticated game used hat/cap. Displayed with BGS 9.5 04 Sp rookie card auto and displayed with game used and authenticated 9/18/11 MLB ball. Autographed and inscribed “CAREER WIN #3” Locker plate used: 2011 Opening Day inscribed by McGee “4/1/11 First MLB Opening Day”

Chad Orvella (Always liked him as we have the same DOB 10-1-80) – 2005 rookie year game used DeviL Rays Cap. Inscribed and auto’d with pick of him signing. Displayed with 05 SP auth RC auto and sweetspot MLB ball.

Eric Hinske – 2008 game used Rays cap with heavy use. Displayed with auto relic card and 2009 yankees vs Rays authenticated baseball. Locker palte used : MLB authenticated 2008 ALCS game used rays Nameplate.

Fernando Rodney – 2013 Stars And Stripes Cap authenticated (hoping to get signed in 2014). Displayed with 1/1 Jumbo ASG patch card and the last pitch he threw in 2013 (maybe ever as a ray) HBP in ALDS Game 4 of Shane Victorino. Displayed with 2006 WBC locker nameplate auto and authenticated (Thanks Dale for the hookup)

Doug Creek – 2000 game used Devil Rays cap, auto and inscribed bill reading 2000 season game used. Displayed with 96 Leaf auto card and pending sweetspot auto MLB ball.

JP Howell – 2012 Earth Day BP used and authenticated cap. Displayed with game used pitch from 2009 WBC authenticated and auto under logo and his 04 SP Rookie card auto. Locker plate used : 2010 Rays

Top Layer

Game used base where the Ryas recorded the last out in ALCS Game 7 to advance to the World Series. Authenticated to the 9th inning second base of Game 7. Also used in Game #2 of ALCS when the rays won in an extra inning walk off. – My most historic Rays authenticated item.

Next Signed ball by my Mom from our trip to Yankee Stadium after a 17 year wait.

Next a rays Stadium Sign (Don’t ask me how I obtained that sign)

On the right side of the TV…..
5 game used authenticated baseballs from game 162 in 2011.
Signed by Brandon Gomes, Joel Peralta, Joe Maddon (inscribing Game 162) Evan Longoria (not sweetspot), and Sam Fuld.

Game used World Series authenticated baseball from Game 3 in 2008. Signed under WS logo by JP Howell. JP HBP Eric Bruntlett in the 9th inning. Bruntlett scored the winning run a couple minutes later. Ball is authenticated to that HBP.

Lastly on the far right – 2011 Opening Day game used authenticated base with PEG. The Rays became the only MLB team in history to overcome 9.5 games back in September to win a playoff spot and the only team to ever start 0-6 and make the playoffs.

The ball case on top is 32 baseballs signed by members of the 2008 Tampa Bay Rays team. ALL MLB Balls as well obtianed in person by myself over the years.

That you to so many people that helped me out with this collection over the last 5 years!

Korey
Mike Dragon
Dale – Go Tigers
And many other’s on this forum that helped me make this vision happen.

Will post much better images in the next week.

Thanks again all,
Jake

phil321
10-19-2013, 09:43 PM
This is great. I'm hoping to do something similar one day. I'm jealous with some of those alternate hats you have. Very nice.

jake33
10-20-2013, 08:20 PM
Thanks, will have better and more updated photos soon.

Just mailed off 2 items directly to players to get signed and inscribed.

Staying focused on a very specific collection is the key and it is so easy to get off track on what you are collecting.

jake33
10-25-2013, 04:08 PM
little bit clearer photo, still have a couple things in the mail i am waiting on to finish this off.

iBelieveInCollectingVogt
05-30-2015, 11:18 PM
Your probably like me, that you don't like to sell stuff from your collection, but I would like to make an offer on one of these pieces. I am a collector of vogt stuff and I would love to negotiate something. Please email me. Mlb.popt @ gmail. Com thank you!!

Southsidesox
05-31-2015, 09:32 AM
Jake - Any interest in a Toby Hall signed ROMLB to add to your collection? It's a sweet spot signature, beautiful white ball. Let me know.

iBelieveInCollectingVogt
06-05-2015, 04:00 PM
little bit clearer photo, still have a couple things in the mail i am waiting on to finish this off.

That vogt 2012 locker nameplate and helmet. I'm very interested. Please email me! Mlb.popt@gmail.com

momen55
06-05-2015, 11:04 PM
well i can't send you a PM so contact me please. oldz70@yahoo.com.

iBelieveInCollectingVogt
06-21-2015, 02:27 PM
I will replace your 2012 helmet and locker nameplate for vogt and give you cash.. I'd really really like this in my stephen vogt collection. (picture attached). I have multiple signed jerseys, the 2013 locker nameplate.. Faux-back Jersey. I've been looking for both of these items, especially the helmet. Stephen has grew into a friend of mine because of all the cool stuff I bring to him to get signed from his past. I.e. AA Jersey, that rays Faux-back Jersey, hell I just got GU shin guards signed a couple days ago! I seriously would love to have this apart of my collection. I'm missing only a few things from him. (batting helmet, catchers helmet, chest protector, cleats, catchers glove, hat) please, I would replace the year helmet, we can work out a deal. Please email me at mlb.popt@gmail.com

jake33
06-21-2015, 08:48 PM
I sold all the Vogt items over a year ago.

iBelieveInCollectingVogt
07-06-2015, 10:33 PM
Is it possible to help me track it down? I.e. Any info on who you sold it to? It would be a huge favor! Thanks! (mlb.popt@gmail.com)

tigerdale
07-09-2015, 10:33 AM
Jake,
Great looking wall....very impressive!!!!