PDA

View Full Version : Game Used Base-Still 9 Per Game?

Swoboda4
10-07-2013, 02:25 AM
For the prospect of selling them (with hologram) does Major League Baseball still replace all bases three times a game? It seems like they're pilling up on the market. Aside from marqee games does this practice continue on all mlb games? For extra innings does the "7th through 9th" innings base just remain?

coxfan
10-07-2013, 07:16 AM
My observations are that changing out bases every three innings is pretty standard, and not just for authentication purposes. Here at the U of South Carolina, bases are changed every three innings in the college games even though they're not authenticated or sold.

In the Braves' 9-25-2012 game, in which they clinched a playoff spot and which was one of Chipper's last games, they authenticated with holograms only the third bases used for the 1-3 and the 4-6 innings, but all three bases from the 7-9 innings. The logic was obvious: the three third bases were in honor of Chipper, while doing all three from the final three innings was in honor of the Braves's clinching.

I don't know the practice for extra innings.

civic_freak
10-07-2013, 12:43 PM
I have an authenticated Red Sox third base from 2011, that says it was used the entire game. Not sure why some games would be done every 3 innings, and some not. But unless mlb is wrong, my base was used the entire game.

gorilla777
10-07-2013, 01:18 PM
I had thought the standard, other than special event games/playoffs, etc., was to have two sets with innings 1 thru 5 and 6 thru 9.
So I would guess there is no standard team by team....

Umiami338
10-07-2013, 01:41 PM
i don't know if its true or not but i was told from someone with the red sox that the bases are switched every 3 innings excpet days its raining. The reason behind that (as i was told) was because there is an MLB rule that states if a base is removed and one can't properly be put back the whole game needs to be stopped and the mount needs to be ripped up or the game must be postponed to the following day. I'm not sure how credible that sounds but the source worked for the grounds crew so it must have some merit. He told me on days it rains 99% of the time they won't chance it and will leave it in all game.

TNTtoys
10-07-2013, 02:07 PM
I think it depends upon the game. As a Mets collector, I have at least 1 base that was used for just 3 innings and at least 1 base that was used for all 9.

Roady
10-07-2013, 02:18 PM
I have a 2010 Cardinals first base that was used the entire game according to the mlb hologram on it.

allstarsplus
10-08-2013, 07:09 PM
I think it depends upon the game. As a Mets collector, I have at least 1 base that was used for just 3 innings and at least 1 base that was used for all 9.

You are correct. In Baltimore we have bases that are used for all 9 innings and the authenticator will mark it before and after the game.

allstarsplus
10-08-2013, 07:10 PM
You are correct. In Baltimore we have bases that are used for all 9 innings and the authenticator will mark it before and after the game.

By the way, that's not always the case. On Opening Day we had 3 sets of innings 1-3, 4-6, 7-9