PDA

View Full Version : GUU Ring of Honor -- Suggestions?

commando
10-05-2013, 01:38 PM
Here's an idea... Why don't we create a GUU Ring of Honor where we vote on and induct three members a year? This would honor those who are the best of the best when it comes to collecting and educating others about our great hobby.

My suggestion would be that anyone who has been a member here for at least one year has the ability to nominate five people. Upon the closing date, the top five or six names out of everyone nominated would be the finalists. From there, all forum members get to vote for their three choices.

My five nominees would be:

Dave Miedema -- a pioneer authenticator and journalist in the GU hobby who has educated collectors for over 30 years

Eric Stangel -- created of our GU Forum

Lon Lewis -- a true legend with the knowledge of game used items and their restoration

"Both-Teams-Played-Hard" -- has educated us over the years and provided invaluable tagging primers among other things

"Mulligans" -- has educated us over the years and has done much to expose our GU hobby to the masses, both on the web and on television

frikativ54
10-05-2013, 02:00 PM
With all due respect, I don't think this is a good idea. For one thing, it could look like certain collectors have the endorsement of Game Used Universe, which could leave the site open to scrutiny, in case these individuals' integrity later comes into question. Or if any of the selected members have done shady things in the past.

Also, I don't think that we can quantify members' contributions to this site, enough as to establish a Ring of Honor. While there are some people who have expertise in, say, bats, there are others that I would go to with absolute confidence to work out a deal with. These are often not one and the same people, so how can I say that one is better than the other?

In addition, the Ring of Honor could well become a popularity contest, with each person voting for his or her friends. And does a Ring of Honor necessitate a Ring of Dishonor? If it does, I think this is murky territory, one that I don't think it's prudent for GUU as a site to go down.

Plus, why do we need such an arbitrary hierarchy? We all are on this website, because we have a passion for certain aspects of the hobby. It doesn't take more than a little Googling to figure out whom we should deal with, and which parties are better left out of our transactions. People can do their own homework, without GUU needing to give out endorsements.

Just my thoughts. There are many wonderful collectors and dealers, and I don't think having arbitrary rankings helps anybody.

commando
10-05-2013, 02:57 PM
Lighten up.

metsbats
10-05-2013, 09:18 PM
Lighten up.

Anthony,

You did as for suggestions and Les did offer one.

I think she made some valid points.

commando
10-05-2013, 09:38 PM
Anthony,

You did as for suggestions and Les did offer one.

I think she made some valid points.

Lighten up.

trsent
10-05-2013, 10:51 PM
I'd like to nominate myself for induction into a Ring of Fire.

metsbats
10-05-2013, 11:02 PM
I would have thought moderators would command some respect around here.

Anthony has been issued a 10 day suspension so he can lighten up.

ChrisCavalier
10-05-2013, 11:24 PM
Let me add my opinion of two things:

1) I agree with Leslie for multiple reasons, not the least of which is that we value all members here and I am personally not interested in trying to quantify individual contributions by giving out awards. I also think people are appreciated for the knowledge they share with the community and I would imagine there is a great deal of satisfaction in helping fellow collectors. Further, this site is viewed by a very large contingent of the hobby. I have to believe members who post here are reaching and influencing many more people than they would be able to do on their own. That, in and of itself, likely creates recognition in the hobby without the moderators needing to determine who deserves to be recognized.

2) Regarding the suspension, please note that any post that is disrespectful to our moderators who, by the way, do a fantastic job and volunteer simply help the community, is going to end with administrative action. Period. End of story.

Just wanted to make sure that was clear.

-Chris