PDA

View Full Version : Game Used Baseballs??? What is the attraction?

Billy77
10-03-2013, 01:32 PM
I realy don't understand what people see in collecting random game balls unless they are huge milestones like perfect games or homeruns.

It seems that teams go through a hundred balls a game, so where is the value in that?

For example, $60 for a ball thrown by Strausburg in a regular game?

Even bats, which I collect, realy do not hold up to a legitamate value unless it is rare or a milestone. Players use so many throughout the season how could they keep value?

This is just my thought on the subject, please do not lynch me baseball collectors!!! :eek: LOL

What are your opinions???

Thanks,

Billy

Jags Fan Dan
10-03-2013, 04:04 PM
I tend to agree with you. I have 5 different bats of a common player I happen to like, each one different in color, brand, etc., none of which cost more than $40. I see the prices for these mlb authenticated baseballs and it really is surprising. All very much alike if not identical, few if any photo-matchable, their value seeming to hinge entirely on the integrity of the information provided by the hologram affixed to it.
I'm not bashing the baseball collectors. It's just not my thing.

sportsnbikes
10-03-2013, 04:30 PM
I don't see any value unless it is an actual home run ball or a hit.

For example, there was a guy trying to sell a pitch in the dirt on an at bat in which Harper hit his last home run during his rookie year. He had like 1500 bucks on it. FOR WHAT???? That ball is no different than any other ball that is used in that game.

jake33
10-03-2013, 04:45 PM
Well, I own probably 14-ish game used baseballs with no major signficance.

Reason being price most of the time, but a few other factors, which i will touch on. But all of these balls are displayed as a complementary piece to a bigger display.

Random game used baseballs that I own an why

May 16, 2001 - Rays vs Royals.... blah game, ball was $12.00 SHIPPED. I have wanted to get an MLB authenticated items to a Rays game every year since the existance of the authentication program. This ball met that need. Also, I display a signed baseball by all my game used helmets of the corresponding coach/player. I have a game used coaches helmet of Tom Foley - 3rd base coach for the team and he coached that game, so it was relevant to him in some way. - $12 to meet 2 needs isn't bad at all

April 2, 2002 - Rays vs. Tigers Openign Day which is a nice bonus (NO OD logo on it though), but this too was a mere $12. Had this ball signed by Rays Bullpen Catcher who was at this game in uniform. Displayed by a game used helmet of the bullpen catcher. Also hit another need for a 2002 authenticated game used item. Again $12 to meet 2 needs is nice.

September 18, 2011 - Got it from Steiner at the National for only $10. From doing research this game was won for Jake McGee's 3rd career win. So, I had Jake sign the ball on the sweetspot and it is displayed by a game used hat of his. I would not have gotten this ball if it was $20, so was mainly based on buying due to the low cost. Nice display item that has a generic authentication.

Now those items were mainly based on the price being low. Again theya re displayed as a complementary piece next to a grander more unique looking item. Any of these 3 items as a centerpiece doesn't really mean that much.

coxfan
10-03-2013, 05:24 PM
One of the attractions of the game of baseball is that there are many "milestones" beyond just the obvious ones such as perfect games. For example, I bought a ball from the Braves' win over the Phillies on 4-3-13, partly because I was at the game and it was an RBI single. But it has the additional significance that: It was pitched by Roy Halladay, who has the extremely rare distinction of having pitched only the second postseason no-hitter in MLB history; as well as being the only pitcher to throw both a postseason no-hitter and a perfect game as separate games. (Larsen had only the one). It also became part of the Braves' first division title since 2005; and contributed to their number of wins in 2013, which is tied for 8th place in modern times (since 1900) for the number of wins by any Braves' team. And it was the 10th run and 9th RBI for the Braves for the 2013 year.

So there are many "milestones" or the like that can be associated with any one item. Similarly, I have balls from the Rangers' first-ever postseason home win,(over the Yankees) which took 50 seasons to achieve. You can't beat that for rarity!

I collect authenticated baseballs for the limited space they take up, as well. They can go on the edges of bookshelves.

Klattsy
10-03-2013, 06:13 PM
Affordability and ease of display.

stasman
10-03-2013, 07:04 PM
Very cool souvenirs...at the White Sox games, they sell game used items from that game...I took my 81 year old father to a game this year and bought one of that games used ball...I then recordered the game on my DVR..The MLB hologram gave me specific pitcher, batter, inning and count information so I was able to capture a still frame from the game with that exact ball. I then gave it to my dad...Great for memories...

helf35
10-03-2013, 07:21 PM
Very cool souvenirs...at the White Sox games, they sell game used items from that game...I took my 81 year old father to a game this year and bought one of that games used ball...I then recordered the game on my DVR..The MLB hologram gave me specific pitcher, batter, inning and count information so I was able to capture a still frame from the game with that exact ball. I then gave it to my dad...Great for memories...

Where do they sell the balls at the cell? All I found were random balls from the team shop outside the stadium.

stasman
10-04-2013, 02:23 PM
The store inside the park is called the chicago sports depot. They have a website to where you can order items from specific games

ironmanfan
10-04-2013, 04:27 PM
I think if the games are linked to a historic event and if the ball can be signed, they make a nice collectible

http://i88.photobucket.com/albums/k172/whhp72/Game%20Used/1Rip_zpsdddb8ba9.jpg (http://s88.photobucket.com/user/whhp72/media/Game%20Used/1Rip_zpsdddb8ba9.jpg.html)

marino13
10-04-2013, 05:05 PM
(First of, let me say "I am an addict" for game used baseballs. How bad you might ask. I have over 500 game used baseballs in my little collection and it is NOT going to decrease anytime soon)

1. I would say, it is affordable in comparison to bats, jerseys and worst of all - helmets.

2. It is fun to collect.

3. It is part of an actual game - not some some hearsay, "hey, I got a foul ball from the game".

4. It is affordable (just want to get the point across). :D

5. I always LOVE to get incorrect information listed baseball - getting it corrected --- a fun concept in my book.

6. And getting the actual player(s) to sign it - closing a chapter on that item.

PS. I have a couple "pitched" ball from Mariano Rivera, I cant wait to have a chance to see him in person to have them signed.

godwulf
10-04-2013, 06:34 PM
[quote=marino13;3368023. It is part of an actual game - not some some hearsay, "hey, I got a foul ball from the game".[/quote]

Hearsay with a little silver sticker on it is still hearsay.

Just sayin'.

rj_lucas
10-04-2013, 06:45 PM
I think if the games are linked to a historic event and if the ball can be signed, they make a nice collectible

IMF, tried to PM you but your box is full.

Rick

marino13
10-04-2013, 08:56 PM
Hearsay with a little silver sticker on it is still hearsay.

Just sayin'.

I dont know if I would agree.

But without that little sticker, the item would lose some nice chump change. :D

Jags Fan Dan
10-05-2013, 07:21 AM
I dont know if I would agree.

But without that little sticker, the item would lose some nice chump change. :D
I do agree. If the authentication info is in error, the $150 base hit ball is now a $10-20 game used ball. And in almost all cases, that little silver sticker is the ONLY basis for the value of the piece for historical significance. Again, I am only talking about higher end, higher priced baseball's. To me, they are similar to the game used jersey cards. Sure, that little white swatch of clean white jersey is from an Elway gamer, Upper Deck says so right on the back of the card.

ironmanfan
10-05-2013, 08:28 AM
IMF, tried to PM you but your box is full.

Rick

I'm not sure how to empty the box, but feel free to email me at whhp72@yahoo.com

Bill

helf35
10-05-2013, 12:39 PM
Personally I think they make nice pieces especially if you can get the signed and inscribed to that personal hit, home run or whatever it may be. He tigers were auctioning off a ball that was a HBP to torii hunter and it was signed and inscribed "OUCH". I thought that is something that would make a nice conversation piece. I myself have just started and collecting game balls and I think it's fun trying to track down and photo match them.

Tunis
10-05-2013, 03:48 PM
I think it is just as cool as photo matching a jersey or a bat. It is cool to watch MLB.TV and see how many people "touched" the ball before it was taken out of play. I only have "hit" balls in my small collection but I can trace them back to before the hit, and sometimes, the ball was involved in other "hits".

Enyouartist
10-06-2013, 05:50 PM
For example, there was a guy trying to sell a pitch in the dirt on an at bat in which Harper hit his last home run during his rookie year. He had like 1500 bucks on it. FOR WHAT????

Each pitched baseball to Harper was certified by MLB during that at-bat. It was Bryce Harper's final 22nd home-run for his rookie of the year season (an NL record for most hrs by a teenager). The seller was asking $4750 or best offer, and it sold quickly. When Jeter hit his 3000 hit, the foul balls used during the atbat went for Honda Civic prices. I wish I owned one of those baseballs!

Enyouartist
10-06-2013, 06:08 PM
I personally love historically significant game-used baseballs. I have some nice gu Yankee ones, and some Chipper Jones gu baseballs that I'm planning to get signed and inscribed.

Nevertheless, my favorite game-used baseball of all time though, was the game ball I received a few years back from my teammates, as the player-of-the-game in my men's baseball league playoff game! :D

Tunis
10-06-2013, 08:37 PM
Here is the example from my previous post:

Hologram number FJ596917 was located in the MLB Authentication Databaseunder GAME-USED BASEBALL.

Session Product Description:

Session Name: SEA AT CLE

Session Date: May 17, 2012
Autographer:

Authenticator: AUTHENTICATORS, INC.

Additional Information: BATTER - JOSE LOPEZ,PITCHER- STEVE DELABAR,BOTTOM OF 8, HOME RUN THREE RBI HIT OFF LEFT FIELD RAILINGS BACK ONTO FIELD

Jose Lopez was playing for the Indians. The HR was his 2nd ofthe year, and the RBIs were number 4, 5, and 6. The HR tied the game 4-4. Itscored Carlos Santana and Casey Kotchman.

History of the ball:

Steve Delabar pitched the 4th pitch to Casey Kotchman after the3rd pitch was fouled out of play. This pitch was a ball, caught byJohn Jaso. The next pitch was a double over Ichiro’s head in right field. Ithit the bottom of the fence and bounced back to Ichiro, who threw it to JustinSmoak.

The ball was then pitched to Jose Lopez. The 1st pitch was afastball that was a ball. The 2nd pitch was a fastball that was aball, also. The 3rd pitch was a fastball that Lopez hit his HR. Theball was returned by the left fielder, Casper Wells.

Jose Lopez hit this ball with a black Sam bat.

How obtained:

“Therewere only two home runs that were MLB auth at Progressive field in 2012.

Onewas Jose Lopez and the other was Cody Ross. They were originally 400 dollars each and no one bought them. Then theywere marked half off and I bought both them. If you want, I will just sell to you what I paid for it.” Thanks Rich.

cardsfan44
10-07-2013, 08:59 AM
I collect baseballs from significant games with the Cardinals. Such as Joe Kelly debut, Shelby Miller 1st start, and such

But my new thing is getting a game used baseball from each game I take her to. She is 2 and has been to 1 so far. I think it will be a nice collection, that she hopefully will enjoy

coxfan
10-07-2013, 01:18 PM
During the first two games of the Division Series in Atlanta last week, game-used balls were jumping off the shelves to eager buyers in the stadium game-used store. People clearly wanted an artifact of the first Division Series involving the Braves since the end of the record streak of consecutive Division titles ended in 2005. When I bought mine, there were two others lined up behind me with their NLDS balls; and both were kids of probably middle-school age.

dplettn
10-08-2013, 03:01 PM
Its easy for our group as a collective to look at items with too much thought. We are perhaps too focused on our hobby, and not enough on the experiences of fans less enthused by our hobby. Many of the game used balls that get authenticated are destined (appropriately so) for a more casual fan.

Think about the kid who gets to his 1st game, or the little girl who goes to a game with her aging grandparents. Think about the bachelor party group, or the fiance proposed to at the game. Think about the teenager who sings the national anthem before the game, or the coach who takes his team to a game...

Taking something from the game home to commemorate the experience is an incredible opportunity. It furthers the reach and culture of baseball. Baseball's in particular are wonderful for kids too because they are ideal to collect signatures over the years ahead. Below is a picture of my youngest son's ball from his first game ever. Its been signed by many of the players on that year's roster.

Personally, I've grown to be very passionate about collecting balls specific to particular use... primarily hits. But I think my own interest in game used balls (and likely that of most of us here) is far less relevant than the commemorative interest that a ball of any particular use from the specific game furthers.

Just my two cents.... take a step back and don't look at the average ball as a collectable. Look at these balls as a way that casual folks take something home to commemorate their own experience for their personal enjoyment.

Adding to my Joey Votto and Jay Bruce ball collection. If you have anything that may be of interest, please reach out at plettner at fuse dot net. I prefer to buy, but will also consider trading away items you'll covet more if you have something that really interests me.

allstarsplus
10-08-2013, 07:22 PM
I realy don't understand what people see in collecting random game balls unless they are huge milestones like perfect games or homeruns.

It seems that teams go through a hundred balls a game, so where is the value in that?

For example, $60 for a ball thrown by Strausburg in a regular game?

Even bats, which I collect, realy do not hold up to a legitamate value unless it is rare or a milestone. Players use so many throughout the season how could they keep value?

This is just my thought on the subject, please do not lynch me baseball collectors!!! :eek: LOL

What are your opinions???

Thanks,

Billy

HR balls are still rare. Significant game balls such as World Series. Opening Day balls. Rookie debut balls and early accomplishments from their careers. Strikeout balls. Milestone balls.

I collect all those and are all related to significant games and moments in Washington Nationals history.

joelsabi
10-08-2013, 07:46 PM
Its easy for our group as a collective to look at items with too much thought. We are perhaps too focused on our hobby, and not enough on the experiences of fans less enthused by our hobby. Many of the game used balls that get authenticated are destined (appropriately so) for a more casual fan.

Think about the kid who gets to his 1st game, or the little girl who goes to a game with her aging grandparents. Think about the bachelor party group, or the fiance proposed to at the game. Think about the teenager who sings the national anthem before the game, or the coach who takes his team to a game...

Taking something from the game home to commemorate the experience is an incredible opportunity. It furthers the reach and culture of baseball. Baseball's in particular are wonderful for kids too because they are ideal to collect signatures over the years ahead. Below is a picture of my youngest son's ball from his first game ever. Its been signed by many of the players on that year's roster.

Personally, I've grown to be very passionate about collecting balls specific to particular use... primarily hits. But I think my own interest in game used balls (and likely that of most of us here) is far less relevant than the commemorative interest that a ball of any particular use from the specific game furthers.

Just my two cents.... take a step back and don't look at the average ball as a collectable. Look at these balls as a way that casual folks take something home to commemorate their own experience for their personal enjoyment.

Great points. I have to agree that baseballs that were actually used on the field on the day of attendance has some extra attraction to the casual fans.

GU baseballs are a step above bringing home your ticket as a souvenir and sometimes if lucky there is something significant tied to the baseball. I always saw the smile that came upon a person who retrieves a foul baseball. I rather have a caught baseball but some of us are not that lucky. So this purchasing a gu baseball from that day is a great alternative. I hear most stadiums are getting the baseballs out quicker to the marketplace than ever before (what is the quickest? how many innings) and hopefully it will be true in all stadiums as an organizational policy thru a vender or thru the team store.

Nice work on your son's baseball. Did you coach your son on what to say when getting the baseball signed by the players? Those autographs look really nicely placed.

coxfan
10-09-2013, 09:22 AM
To summarize ideas in these various posts, I think we can conclude:

1) A ball may be significant for many different reasons, not just a handful of obvious milestones.

2) Collecting should not be a limited group but should be open to all sorts of collectors, big and small. In chess, there's a saying from Russia: "Chess is an ocean in which an elephant can bathe and a gnat can drink." In other words, people can enjoy it in many ways even if they're not big experts, and there's room for everyone in different ways.

jsage
10-09-2013, 12:21 PM
La Premera Serie Game Used Baseball - Monterey Mexico
Padres / Mets Games played August 16-18, 1996 at Monterey Stadium
This is an example of a seldom seen very rare Game Used Baseball :D
Jerry Sage
jssage24@yahoo.com

http://i1198.photobucket.com/albums/aa458/Jsage1/bth_PrimeraSeriesMexicoGUAug1996_zpsa81afa6d.jpg
http://i1198.photobucket.com/albums/aa458/Jsage1/bth_PremeraSeriesMexicoGameUsed_zps9c99d363.jpg

Dach0sen0ne
10-10-2013, 01:27 PM
I think game used baseballs are a very cool inexpensive way to add to your player collection. It was fun to complete the cycle and add some other cool oddball baseballs as well.

http://austinjacksonfan.com/Game_Used_Baseballs.html

Once I accomplished the cycle, I decided it would be cool to attempt a ball pitched to Jackson in every MLB park. 16 down, 14 to go.

http://austinjacksonfan.com/30_Parks.html

It's really fun trying to track these things down! :)

KGoldin
10-14-2013, 05:39 PM
So whom do you feel is closer to true value if ever discovered ? My 100K estimate (I actually said 100-150K) or Kohler's 500k?

http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/9809951/kirk-gibson-1988-world-series-home-run-ball-missing

Lost and not found: The Gibson ball

Someone might unknowingly own a valuable piece of baseball history. But who?

Updated: October 14, 2013, 5:52 PM ET
By Darren Rovell (http://search.espn.go.com/darren-rovell/) | ESPN.com

Recommend (https://www.facebook.com/sharer.php?u=http%3A%2f%2fespn.go.com%2fmlb%2fstor y%2f_%2fid%2f9809951%2fkirk%2dgibson%2d1988%2dworl d%2dseries%2dhome%2drun%2dball%2dmissing&t=Rovell%3A+The+missing+Kirk+Gibson+home+run+ball) 0 (https://www.facebook.com/sharer.php?u=http%3A%2f%2fespn.go.com%2fmlb%2fstor y%2f_%2fid%2f9809951%2fkirk%2dgibson%2d1988%2dworl d%2dseries%2dhome%2drun%2dball%2dmissing&t=Rovell%3A+The+missing+Kirk+Gibson+home+run+ball)
Tweet (http://twitter.com/intent/tweet?url=http%3A%2f%2fespn.go.com%2fmlb%2fstory%2 f_%2fid%2f9809951%2fkirk%2dgibson%2d1988%2dworld%2 dseries%2dhome%2drun%2dball%2dmissing&text=Rovell%3A+The+missing+Kirk+Gibson+home+run+ba ll&via=bbtn)5 (http://twitter.com/intent/tweet?url=http%3A%2f%2fespn.go.com%2fmlb%2fstory%2 f_%2fid%2f9809951%2fkirk%2dgibson%2d1988%2dworld%2 dseries%2dhome%2drun%2dball%2dmissing&text=Rovell%3A+The+missing+Kirk+Gibson+home+run+ba ll&via=bbtn)
Comments (http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/9809951/kirk-gibson-1988-world-series-home-run-ball-missing#comments)0 (http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/9809951/kirk-gibson-1988-world-series-home-run-ball-missing#comments)
Email (http://sendtofriend.espn.go.com/sendtofriend/SendToFriend?URL=http%3A%2f%2fespn.go.com%2fmlb%2f story%2f_%2fid%2f9809951%2fkirk%2dgibson%2d1988%2d world%2dseries%2dhome%2drun%2dball%2dmissing&title=Rovell%3A+The+missing+Kirk+Gibson+home+run+b all&id=9809951)
Print (http://espn.go.com/espn/print?id=9809951&type=story)
Long before Major League Baseball began to authenticate big-occasion baseballs with holograms and special markings, and long before fans began to see money in those rawhide spheres attached to a memorable moment, an injured Kirk Gibson launched one of the most famous home runs in postseason history into the Chavez Ravine air.

As the ball sailed into the right-field pavilion at Dodger Stadium, NBC's television cameras didn't exactly linger on where the ball landed. After all, the drama was on the bases, as Gibson hobbled around, pumping his arm and clenching his fist in celebration of his team stealing Game 1 of the 1988 World Series from the usually automatic arm of A's closer Dennis Eckersley.

It wasn't until at least a decade later, when catching and selling the balls hit during the Mark McGwire (http://espn.go.com/mlb/player/_/id/1738/mark-mcgwire)-Sammy Sosa (http://espn.go.com/mlb/player/_/id/2187/sammy-sosa) home run chase was generating millions, that anyone really talked about the Gibson ball.

The Kirk Gibson Home Run

http://a.espncdn.com/photo/2013/1014/mlb_a_gibson_b1_110x62.jpg On the 25th anniversary of Kirk Gibson's World Series home run, ESPN Los Angeles and ESPN.com remember one of the most memorable moments in baseball history.
• Markazi: An oral history » (http://espn.go.com/los-angeles/mlb/story/_/id/9821079/25th-anniversary-los-angeles-dodger-kirk-gibson-world-series-home-run)
• Gallery: The game in photos (http://espn.go.com/mlb/photos/gallery/_/id/9824377/kirk-gibson-world-series-home-run-1988) http://assets.espn.go.com/icons/photo.png
• Caple: L.A. Dodger Noir » (http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/9822047/a-philip-marlowe-fictional-search-missing-kirk-gibson-home-run-ball)
• Rovell: The lost ball » (http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/9809951/kirk-gibson-1988-world-series-home-run-ball-missing)
• Jaime Jarrin remembers http://assets.espn.go.com/icons/watch.png (http://espn.go.com/los-angeles/story/_/id/9824063/was-majestic)

Gibson himself was never offered it, though he did receive a picture of a lady's leg in the mail. A woman wrote to Gibson that the ball had hit her on the thigh, which in the accompanying photo was black and blue.

No one, in the last 25 years, has come forward with a truly solid story about what happened to the baseball.

In 2010, Gibson sold items from the moment in an auction, which generated incredible interest. The bat he used went for $576,000. The jersey sold for $303,000 and the helmet for $154,000. They all were purchased by Chad and Doug Drier of Santa Barbara, Calif.

At the time, I used the publicity surrounding the moment and the memorabilia to try to find the Gibson ball.

I received more than 250 emails, and 31 people claimed they either had the ball or knew of the person who had it.

The story that seemed to have the most potential came from a man named Ed Moran, who provided us a link to a video that supposedly shows (http://gatherspot.com/kirkgibson/) his uncle, Carlos, catching the ball. The site also has a picture, dated 15-10-1988 (the date of the game), showing what Moran says is Carlos holding a World Series ball with Ed's sister, Jasmine, standing next to him.

Moran said that Game 1 of the '88 World Series was the first baseball game his uncle Carlos ever attended. His uncle, he said, put the ball in a sock drawer and eventually gave it to his girlfriend. In 2008, Ed said Carlos called the woman, who said she had it in her garage. According to Moran, nothing ever materialized.

"If the baseball did surface, and it had an ironclad chain of custody that was well-documented, I think it could go for $500,000 or more," said David Kohler, president of SCP Auctions, which sold the Gibson collection three years ago. "But the 'I still have it in my garage' stories would hurt the value of anything coming to market. It's just not concrete enough."

The story behind how the item was obtained often gives the collector confidence to bid high for a particular item.

" If the baseball did surface, and it had an ironclad chain of custody that was well-documented, I think it could go for $500,000 or more. But the 'I still have it in my garage' stories would hurt the value of anything coming to market. It's just not concrete enough.

" -- David Kohler, president of SCP Auctions

Such was the case just last year, when a collector paid $418,250 for the ball that went through the legs of Boston Red Sox (http://espn.go.com/mlb/team/_/name/bos/boston-red-sox) first baseman Bill Buckner in Game Six of the 1986 World Series.

That ball was given to the player who hit it, New York Mets (http://espn.go.com/mlb/team/_/name/nym/new-york-mets) outfielder Mookie Wilson, who then wrote a still-surviving note to team executive Arthur Richman.

The note read, "To Arthur, the ball won it for us, Mookie Wilson, 10/25/86."

The ball was first purchased by actor Charlie Sheen in 1992 for $93,000 and then by songwriter Seth Swirsky for nearly $64,000 in 2000 before being sold again 12 years later.

According to Kohler, who said the 25-year absence of the Gibson ball doesn't give him much hope that it will ever surface, one of the reasons the other Gibson items sold for the prices they did was because they came from Gibson himself.

Collector and auctioneer Ken Goldin thinks the appeal of game-used balls in general has taken a hit in recent years.

After the value of the McGwire, Sosa and Barry Bonds (http://espn.go.com/mlb/player/_/id/1785/barry-bonds) home run balls plummeted, the market took a hit.

"People aren't as interested," said Goldin, who bought Bonds' 70th home run ball from the 2003 season for $25,000, only to sell it three years later for $16,000. "Someone would have gotten a lot more money if they would have brought the Gibson ball to market closer to when the home run was hit."

If the ball ever does emerge with a believable story behind it, Goldin thinks $100,000 is a reasonable expectation for the seller.

adam-ky
10-14-2013, 08:36 PM
I collect mlb authenticated balls of the game's that my son and I go to.

I also Have a MLB authenticated Grand Slam Ball of Josh Willingham. I haven't seen to many Grand Slam Balls.

joelsabi
10-14-2013, 09:18 PM
So whom do you feel is closer to true value if ever discovered ? My 100K estimate (I actually said 100-150K) or Kohler's 500k?

http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/9809951/kirk-gibson-1988-world-series-home-run-ball-missing

Lost and not found: The Gibson ball

Someone might unknowingly own a valuable piece of baseball history. But who?

Updated: October 14, 2013, 5:52 PM ET
By Darren Rovell (http://search.espn.go.com/darren-rovell/) | ESPN.com

Recommend (https://www.facebook.com/sharer.php?u=http%3A%2f%2fespn.go.com%2fmlb%2fstor y%2f_%2fid%2f9809951%2fkirk%2dgibson%2d1988%2dworl d%2dseries%2dhome%2drun%2dball%2dmissing&t=Rovell%3A+The+missing+Kirk+Gibson+home+run+ball) 0 (https://www.facebook.com/sharer.php?u=http%3A%2f%2fespn.go.com%2fmlb%2fstor y%2f_%2fid%2f9809951%2fkirk%2dgibson%2d1988%2dworl d%2dseries%2dhome%2drun%2dball%2dmissing&t=Rovell%3A+The+missing+Kirk+Gibson+home+run+ball)
Tweet (http://twitter.com/intent/tweet?url=http%3A%2f%2fespn.go.com%2fmlb%2fstory%2 f_%2fid%2f9809951%2fkirk%2dgibson%2d1988%2dworld%2 dseries%2dhome%2drun%2dball%2dmissing&text=Rovell%3A+The+missing+Kirk+Gibson+home+run+ba ll&via=bbtn)5 (http://twitter.com/intent/tweet?url=http%3A%2f%2fespn.go.com%2fmlb%2fstory%2 f_%2fid%2f9809951%2fkirk%2dgibson%2d1988%2dworld%2 dseries%2dhome%2drun%2dball%2dmissing&text=Rovell%3A+The+missing+Kirk+Gibson+home+run+ba ll&via=bbtn)
Comments (http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/9809951/kirk-gibson-1988-world-series-home-run-ball-missing#comments)0 (http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/9809951/kirk-gibson-1988-world-series-home-run-ball-missing#comments)
Email (http://sendtofriend.espn.go.com/sendtofriend/SendToFriend?URL=http%3A%2f%2fespn.go.com%2fmlb%2f story%2f_%2fid%2f9809951%2fkirk%2dgibson%2d1988%2d world%2dseries%2dhome%2drun%2dball%2dmissing&title=Rovell%3A+The+missing+Kirk+Gibson+home+run+b all&id=9809951)
Print (http://espn.go.com/espn/print?id=9809951&type=story)
Long before Major League Baseball began to authenticate big-occasion baseballs with holograms and special markings, and long before fans began to see money in those rawhide spheres attached to a memorable moment, an injured Kirk Gibson launched one of the most famous home runs in postseason history into the Chavez Ravine air.

As the ball sailed into the right-field pavilion at Dodger Stadium, NBC's television cameras didn't exactly linger on where the ball landed. After all, the drama was on the bases, as Gibson hobbled around, pumping his arm and clenching his fist in celebration of his team stealing Game 1 of the 1988 World Series from the usually automatic arm of A's closer Dennis Eckersley.

It wasn't until at least a decade later, when catching and selling the balls hit during the Mark McGwire (http://espn.go.com/mlb/player/_/id/1738/mark-mcgwire)-Sammy Sosa (http://espn.go.com/mlb/player/_/id/2187/sammy-sosa) home run chase was generating millions, that anyone really talked about the Gibson ball.

The Kirk Gibson Home Run

http://a.espncdn.com/photo/2013/1014/mlb_a_gibson_b1_110x62.jpg On the 25th anniversary of Kirk Gibson's World Series home run, ESPN Los Angeles and ESPN.com remember one of the most memorable moments in baseball history.
• Markazi: An oral history » (http://espn.go.com/los-angeles/mlb/story/_/id/9821079/25th-anniversary-los-angeles-dodger-kirk-gibson-world-series-home-run)
• Gallery: The game in photos (http://espn.go.com/mlb/photos/gallery/_/id/9824377/kirk-gibson-world-series-home-run-1988) http://assets.espn.go.com/icons/photo.png
• Caple: L.A. Dodger Noir » (http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/9822047/a-philip-marlowe-fictional-search-missing-kirk-gibson-home-run-ball)
• Rovell: The lost ball » (http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/9809951/kirk-gibson-1988-world-series-home-run-ball-missing)
• Jaime Jarrin remembers http://assets.espn.go.com/icons/watch.png (http://espn.go.com/los-angeles/story/_/id/9824063/was-majestic)

Gibson himself was never offered it, though he did receive a picture of a lady's leg in the mail. A woman wrote to Gibson that the ball had hit her on the thigh, which in the accompanying photo was black and blue.

No one, in the last 25 years, has come forward with a truly solid story about what happened to the baseball.

In 2010, Gibson sold items from the moment in an auction, which generated incredible interest. The bat he used went for $576,000. The jersey sold for $303,000 and the helmet for $154,000. They all were purchased by Chad and Doug Drier of Santa Barbara, Calif.

At the time, I used the publicity surrounding the moment and the memorabilia to try to find the Gibson ball.

I received more than 250 emails, and 31 people claimed they either had the ball or knew of the person who had it.

The story that seemed to have the most potential came from a man named Ed Moran, who provided us a link to a video that supposedly shows (http://gatherspot.com/kirkgibson/) his uncle, Carlos, catching the ball. The site also has a picture, dated 15-10-1988 (the date of the game), showing what Moran says is Carlos holding a World Series ball with Ed's sister, Jasmine, standing next to him.

Moran said that Game 1 of the '88 World Series was the first baseball game his uncle Carlos ever attended. His uncle, he said, put the ball in a sock drawer and eventually gave it to his girlfriend. In 2008, Ed said Carlos called the woman, who said she had it in her garage. According to Moran, nothing ever materialized.

"If the baseball did surface, and it had an ironclad chain of custody that was well-documented, I think it could go for $500,000 or more," said David Kohler, president of SCP Auctions, which sold the Gibson collection three years ago. "But the 'I still have it in my garage' stories would hurt the value of anything coming to market. It's just not concrete enough."

The story behind how the item was obtained often gives the collector confidence to bid high for a particular item.

" If the baseball did surface, and it had an ironclad chain of custody that was well-documented, I think it could go for $500,000 or more. But the 'I still have it in my garage' stories would hurt the value of anything coming to market. It's just not concrete enough.

" -- David Kohler, president of SCP Auctions

Such was the case just last year, when a collector paid $418,250 for the ball that went through the legs of Boston Red Sox (http://espn.go.com/mlb/team/_/name/bos/boston-red-sox) first baseman Bill Buckner in Game Six of the 1986 World Series.

That ball was given to the player who hit it, New York Mets (http://espn.go.com/mlb/team/_/name/nym/new-york-mets) outfielder Mookie Wilson, who then wrote a still-surviving note to team executive Arthur Richman.

The note read, "To Arthur, the ball won it for us, Mookie Wilson, 10/25/86."

The ball was first purchased by actor Charlie Sheen in 1992 for $93,000 and then by songwriter Seth Swirsky for nearly $64,000 in 2000 before being sold again 12 years later.

According to Kohler, who said the 25-year absence of the Gibson ball doesn't give him much hope that it will ever surface, one of the reasons the other Gibson items sold for the prices they did was because they came from Gibson himself.

Collector and auctioneer Ken Goldin thinks the appeal of game-used balls in general has taken a hit in recent years.

After the value of the McGwire, Sosa and Barry Bonds (http://espn.go.com/mlb/player/_/id/1785/barry-bonds) home run balls plummeted, the market took a hit.

"People aren't as interested," said Goldin, who bought Bonds' 70th home run ball from the 2003 season for $25,000, only to sell it three years later for $16,000. "Someone would have gotten a lot more money if they would have brought the Gibson ball to market closer to when the home run was hit."

If the ball ever does emerge with a believable story behind it, Goldin thinks $100,000 is a reasonable expectation for the seller.

Ken,

Very interesting story behind the search for Gibson's HR baseball. Reminds me of the story behind the Thomson HR baseball which also did not have a resolution. Hope they find these treasures.

Sometimes the story behind the search for an item are really appealing.