PDA

View Full Version : Goldin Auctions Preview Now Open

ChrisCavalier
10-02-2013, 11:48 AM
Just wanted to let everyone know that Goldin Auctions October Legends Auctions is now open for preview. The auction will actually go live on Friday but members can preview the auction now at:

http://www.goldinauctions.com/catalog.aspx

This is the first time I have personally had the opportunity to see the entire auction and I must say that the people at Goldin have done an incredible job putting everything together and getting the site ready to go live. Among other things, there are some fantastic game used items being offered that I'm sure everyone on this site will appreciate.

Hope everyone enjoys the preview and the auction.

-Chris

nickacs
10-02-2013, 02:11 PM
Another stellar auction of goodies Ken/Chris! WOW :eek: I know I'll be bidding on a few jerseys!

Good luck to another great auction guys...

Misha
10-03-2013, 07:11 AM
In case Ken doesn't check here often, I sent you a PM regarding an item listing I noticed. Thanks

Michelle

KGoldin
10-03-2013, 09:49 AM
this site doesn't have PM's
feel free to email me at ken@goldinauctions.com

ChrisCavalier
10-03-2013, 09:51 AM
In case Ken doesn't check here often, I sent you a PM regarding an item listing I noticed. Thanks

Michelle
Hello Michelle,

I just checked my private messages and did not see anything from you. Could you please email me directly at chris@gameuseduniverse.com?

Thanks in advance,
Chris

Misha
10-03-2013, 11:20 AM
Chris, sorry to be confusing but I meant to Ken. I've now mailed him at the address he provided in his post. Thanks!

KGoldin
10-03-2013, 11:50 AM
Thanks
there was a typo and it has been corrected

yanks12025
10-05-2013, 08:02 AM
This hobby can be a joke at times. I used to own the 1973-75 Yaz bat and no one here or on eBay would even buy it for $350. So it finally sold for $300 and the buyer "cleaned the finish" off the bat and now it will go for hundreds more.

Hoosier39
10-05-2013, 09:04 AM
This hobby can be a joke at times. I used to own the 1973-75 Yaz bat and no one here or on eBay would even buy it for $350. So it finally sold for $300 and the buyer "cleaned the finish" off the bat and now it will go for hundreds more.

You didn't want to clean it up yourself?

yanks12025
10-05-2013, 10:43 AM
You didn't want to clean it up yourself?

I will not clean game used bats unless it's removing tape residue. Personal I think cleaning(removing finishes or restoring bats are wrong. In paragon they have a joe DiMaggio bat from 1941. It used to be signed by the whole team, but some idiots had all the autos removed to get a better grade on the bat.

Tamurai
10-05-2013, 11:39 AM
I am the person who consigned this bat to auction. It seems to me that the previous owner of the bat is insinuating that I altered the bat in some unethical way. Since I take that sort of insinuation personally, I thought I would let it be known exactly what "restoration" I performed on the bat. When I received the bat it was filthy. I gently wiped it with alcohol and then with a pea sized dot of oil. This did not remove finish, or at least not any that was still attached to the bat. I, unlike the previous owner, do not feel that there is anything wrong with allowing something to look it's best without damaging the integrity of the piece. I think of it as no different than the archival cleaning of a painting. I have no desire to get in any kind of argument over whether or not it is better or not to do this. I believe collectors can make their own personal decisions as to their collection or what they purchase. I am only informing this forum as to exactly what was done to this bat after I received it.

metsbats
10-05-2013, 12:10 PM
I would like see pre-cleaned photos of the Yaz.

What kind of dirt was on this bat which required cleaning to make it more appealing?

metsbats
10-05-2013, 12:20 PM
For what is worth I just viewed the bat on the auction site and looks nice with game use ,etc. Can;t even tell it was cleaned.

Personally I wouldn't have a problem if dirt or mud was cleaned off as long as game use, rack marks and pine tar remains.

Tape or tape residue I would have an issue with because if a player didnt use tape and the bat was tape that may have indicated that another player may have used it.

yanks12025
10-05-2013, 12:23 PM
I am the person who consigned this bat to auction. It seems to me that the previous owner of the bat is insinuating that I altered the bat in some unethical way. Since I take that sort of insinuation personally, I thought I would let it be known exactly what "restoration" I performed on the bat. When I received the bat it was filthy. I gently wiped it with alcohol and then with a pea sized dot of oil. This did not remove finish, or at least not any that was still attached to the bat. I, unlike the previous owner, do not feel that there is anything wrong with allowing something to look it's best without damaging the integrity of the piece. I think of it as no different than the archival cleaning of a painting. I have no desire to get in any kind of argument over whether or not it is better or not to do this. I believe collectors can make their own personal decisions as to their collection or what they purchase. I am only informing this forum as to exactly what was done to this bat after I received it.

My post wasn't to insult you at all. It's more to insult this hobby how no one would buy this bat. But after alittle lemon oil it will now be a $600+ bat.

yanks12025
10-05-2013, 12:42 PM
For what is worth I just viewed the bat on the auction site and looks nice with game use ,etc. Can;t even tell it was cleaned.

Personally I wouldn't have a problem if dirt or mud was cleaned off as long as game use, rack marks and pine tar remains.

Tape or tape residue I would have an issue with because if a player didnt use tape and the bat was tape that may have indicated that another player may have used it.

That's not the case all the time. What if they did it after it cracked to use the bat more for bp. Plus most of the time when you remove tape and clean the residue off, you'll still be able to tell that there was tape because the wood will be lighter.

metsbats
10-05-2013, 01:24 PM
That's not the case all the time. What if they did it after it cracked to use the bat more for bp. Plus most of the time when you remove tape and clean the residue off, you'll still be able to tell that there was tape because the wood will be lighter.

That's true. Especially with the older bats.

Hoosier39
10-05-2013, 02:28 PM
It all depends on the age of the bat. I get bats from the 1920-40's all the time that have been sitting in storage that need a little loving. Linseed oil and a rag usually does the trick.

Anything post 1970 or so I usually leave alone.

Bats that are cracked and are taped by batboys etc, I have zero problem removing the tape and cleaning up the residue.

As for this bat, I think it's kind of crummy to even bring it up something that you failed to do.- clean up the bat. If you wanted to get your max dollar for the bat, clean it yourself. I don't blame the new seller at all.

That's just my opinion. Probably shouldn't have brought it up in the first place.

jbean023
10-05-2013, 03:14 PM
What do you used to clean up tape residue?

yanks12025
10-05-2013, 03:50 PM

Normally lemon oil will remove most of the residue.

Hoosier39
10-05-2013, 04:51 PM

Tape residue? Try goo gone, gently at first.