PDA

View Full Version : PELE is charging how much for a autograph?

stasman
09-25-2013, 08:26 PM
Did anyone see how much Pele is charging to sign a game used item at the upcoming Suntimes show in Chicago??? $599.00 REALLY???? come one now, when are these prices going to come back down to earth?

trsent
09-25-2013, 10:20 PM
Did anyone see how much Pele is charging to sign a game used item at the upcoming Suntimes show in Chicago??? $599.00 REALLY???? come one now, when are these prices going to come back down to earth?

We need to start over, like Adam and Eve or the Big Bang and then prices will come down.

maverick14
09-25-2013, 10:26 PM
He must be getting advice from Willie Mays

onlyalbert
09-25-2013, 10:59 PM
Steiner want 600 for a Jeter sig and another 450 to add 3000 Hits. Apparently he is way better than Mays?!

metsbats
09-26-2013, 05:29 AM
I remember in the early ninties going to card shows and paying only $200 for Joe Dimaggio to autograph a baseball. Mickey Mantle was $85. Inflation.

otismalibu
09-26-2013, 06:16 AM
Photo op is only $249. Bargain!

trsent
09-26-2013, 06:45 AM

Just to be fair, the Pele prices for other items are high but not as high as to sign game used items:

Oversize Flats/Balls/Shoes $299
Jerseys $349
Artwork $499
Game Used Items $599
Inscription $99
Photo Op $249

metsbats
09-26-2013, 06:46 AM
These promoters/players are getting really creative to make more $$.

Charging for photos with the players is a new low:mad:

trsent
09-26-2013, 06:50 AM
Steiner want 600 for a Jeter sig and another 450 to add 3000 Hits. Apparently he is way better than Mays?!

Willie Mays charges a ton to signed autographs at public appearances, but price doesn't reflect what one did on the baseball field.

Until late in life, Bob Feller, a top five pitcher all time, would sign public autographs for about $20 each. His autographs do not have much value these days because he signed autographs at public sessions every opportunity he got.

What does Jeter make from The Yankees? 17M a year? Plus endorsements? He doesn't care or want to sign autographs for Steiner, so they pay him silly money to do it. It is not a comparisons of players it is what it costs to get a player to sign autographs.

trsent
09-26-2013, 06:53 AM
These promoters/players are getting really creative to make more $$.

Charging for photos with the players is a new low:mad:

So, you don't think the players are being paid to take those photographs in a posed booth? It is a common practice at all the Con's for them to charge for autographs in an autograph pavilion and for them to charge for posed professional photos in a photo booth with the player.

I don't think it's a new low - Those posed photos take more time that an autograph. No one tells the customer they cannot take a picture while the athlete is signing, but at Mounted Memories trade shows, the players are behind a table where the public cannot walk behind to take a posed photo.

metsbats
09-26-2013, 07:11 AM
So, you don't think the players are being paid to take those photographs in a posed booth? It is a common practice at all the Con's for them to charge for autographs in an autograph pavilion and for them to charge for posed professional photos in a photo booth with the player.

I don't think it's a new low - Those posed photos take more time that an autograph. No one tells the customer they cannot take a picture while the athlete is signing, but at Mounted Memories trade shows, the players are behind a table where the public cannot walk behind to take a posed photo.

I absolutely think they are being paid for the photos too and keeping the cattle line moving for autographs is the main goal here. From the business model perspective it's a brilliant idea.

When I used to attend shows there was no photo op charge and we were able to take photos with players after he signed. Alot of great memories were captured in these photos. So from the collectors point of view getting a nice photo with your favorite player but having to pay the double for it is a new low to me.

NEFAN
09-26-2013, 03:41 PM
Bottom line, if you don't pay the ridiculous prices, they'll be forced to lower them.

commando
09-26-2013, 07:15 PM
I have heard that sometimes the promoter pays the athlete a set fee for the appearance. So for example, if Pele were paid $30,000 to sign autographs for four hours, the promoter now needs to figure out how much to charge to make his initial investment back, and perhaps a profit when it's all said and done.

Roady
09-26-2013, 09:41 PM
I will not pay.

It's very simple really. :)

trsent
09-27-2013, 03:55 AM
I absolutely think they are being paid for the photos too and keeping the cattle line moving for autographs is the main goal here. From the business model perspective it's a brilliant idea.

When I used to attend shows there was no photo op charge and we were able to take photos with players after he signed. Alot of great memories were captured in these photos. So from the collectors point of view getting a nice photo with your favorite player but having to pay the double for it is a new low to me.

Last night I had an appearance with two hockey players outside Chicago. At the end of the appearance a young girl came through with a ticket and I asked her what she was getting autographed, and she said she only wanted a picture with the player.

I went into my stack and gave her an 8x10 photo to get signed by the player as I didn't want her to have to pay $15.00 for just her photo-op!

trsent
09-27-2013, 03:57 AM
I have heard that sometimes the promoter pays the athlete a set fee for the appearance. So for example, if Pele were paid $30,000 to sign autographs for four hours, the promoter now needs to figure out how much to charge to make his initial investment back, and perhaps a profit when it's all said and done.

There are time deals and there are piece deals. Any athlete with a high price per signature retail is almost always a piece deal. Pele may be guaranteed a figure, say $30,000 but each autograph, each photo-op is counted and he signs and takes photos until he hits his guarantee.

metsbats
09-27-2013, 07:32 AM
http://www.nyshows.org/news-events/charity-raffle-for-a-babe-ruth-1933-goudy-card-rookie-card-53/

The only photo op fee from past shows here in NY which I've noticed was one with Iron Mike Tyson. I would say if you get an animated pose like that it may be worth fee!

trsent
09-27-2013, 09:11 AM
http://www.nyshows.org/news-events/charity-raffle-for-a-babe-ruth-1933-goudy-card-rookie-card-53/

The only photo op fee from past shows here in NY which I've noticed was one with Iron Mike Tyson. I would say if you get an animated pose like that it may be worth fee!

So you are swaying!

godwulf
09-27-2013, 11:39 AM
I'm having a hard time trying to think of anyone in the world whose autograph I want even three or four hundred dollars' worth. I can't.

I think I paid 60 for Pete Rose to sign a ball a few years ago, and that's the most I've ever spent.

At the other extreme, I got a ton of game-used baseballs signed over the summer at Arizona League and independent league games - at a cost of zero - and I have to say that it's a genuine pleasure to have to show some young player where the "sweet spot" is.

The Arizona Fall League starts in 11 days - that's where the top prospects are, and you can get their sigs (unless it's a total a*****e like Anthony Gose) for the asking.

ChiBosox05
09-27-2013, 12:05 PM
I agree. Those prices for Pele to sign gamers are ludicrous. I think it is just flat out greed. As for Willie Mays' prices, I can understand why he charges so much; players back then never made the insane amounts of money they do now, and Willie is a legend. The photo ops thing is a good option for people who don't want autographs, but gee whizz that's a lot for just a quick pic.
There is only ONE person I would pay several hundred for a sig...and that's JORDAN.

Texans
09-27-2013, 12:50 PM
Isnt Pele considered the best soccer player ever? If that is the case I think the prices are fair. Has he done many public or even private signing?

As for the photo op I think its a great idea. I hate it when you have to rush to take a quick picture because you dont want to hold up the line. I prefer taking pictures with the player then the autograph. With so many auto on ebay its probably cheaper to buy the auto item off ebay.

cliffjmp33
09-27-2013, 01:18 PM
I have a question more towards Pele/soccer experts. How many Pele game used items are truly out there? Also, besides the actual price discrepancy, what is stopping a swindler/cheat/con-artist from paying the larger fee and having Pele add his signature to a bogus item only later to be sold as an authentic gamer? Does Pele know specifically if an item is a true gamer?

I have no knowledge of soccer memorabilia, but just curious to know more.

trsent
09-27-2013, 07:41 PM
I agree. Those prices for Pele to sign gamers are ludicrous. I think it is just flat out greed. As for Willie Mays' prices, I can understand why he charges so much; players back then never made the insane amounts of money they do now, and Willie is a legend. The photo ops thing is a good option for people who don't want autographs, but gee whizz that's a lot for just a quick pic.
There is only ONE person I would pay several hundred for a sig...and that's JORDAN.

So you theory is that you don't think Pele is in the same category as Willie Mays or Michael Jordan.

I personally think that's not for you or I to decide. If the public shows up and pays his prices then his is priced accordingly. If they don't show up then it's overpriced. I assume in the outside American sports fan market Pele is near top of the list in the same class as Michael Jordan and Willie Mays.

Finally, how you played back in the day or how much money you made in the 1950's doesn't dictate how much you charge for your autographs and photo-ops today - What dictates it is how infrequently someone appears at an autograph show or convention along with the public demand for your autograph.

bdeol44
09-27-2013, 07:58 PM
I have a question more towards Pele/soccer experts. How many Pele game used items are truly out there? Also, besides the actual price discrepancy, what is stopping a swindler/cheat/con-artist from paying the larger fee and having Pele add his signature to a bogus item only later to be sold as an authentic gamer? Does Pele know specifically if an item is a true gamer?

I have no knowledge of soccer memorabilia, but just curious to know more.

Great point.

stasman
09-28-2013, 08:02 AM
very good discussion on this one.....great to hear your opinions and views...Thanks

otismalibu
09-28-2013, 09:29 AM
what is stopping a swindler/cheat/con-artist from paying the larger fee and having Pele add his signature to a bogus item only later to be sold as an authentic gamer?

Nothing is stopping him and it's mostly likely been done countless times before.

The piece has to stand in its own. Doesn't matter if it was purchased on CL or from the world's greatest auction house (I think they all make that claim), paperwork or no paperwork, signed or unsigned...

KGoldin
09-28-2013, 09:41 AM
Willie Mays charges a ton to signed autographs at public appearances, but price doesn't reflect what one did on the baseball field.

Until late in life, Bob Feller, a top five pitcher all time, would sign public autographs for about $20 each. His autographs do not have much value these days because he signed autographs at public sessions every opportunity he got.

What does Jeter make from The Yankees? 17M a year? Plus endorsements? He doesn't care or want to sign autographs for Steiner, so they pay him silly money to do it. It is not a comparisons of players it is what it costs to get a player to sign autographs.

I remember having a $2500 contract with bob feller to sign 1000 autographs in 1990

otismalibu
09-28-2013, 09:49 AM
I remember having a $2500 contract with bob feller to sign 1000 autographs in 1990

On more than one occasion, I've seen message board posts saying that unsigned Feller cards are rarer than signed ones. :)