PDA

View Full Version : Frank Thomas Game Used Cap

pclemente
09-24-2013, 04:56 PM
Hi Fellow Collectors!
I am new to the forum and look forward to gaining your insight and information when it comes to game used memorabilia! As a college student in Boston in the 1990's I was able to obtain a couple of game used baseball caps through various Red Sox and Jimmy Fund auctions, and now with a young son I am interested in adding to my fledgling collection.
As a Red Sox fan I admired The Big Hurt and by the mid 1990's he had quickly emerged as one of baseball's most feared hitters so the opportunity to acquire his cap and help out a worthy cause was a great opportunity (though I still kick myself for missing out on a Greg Maddox hat - got a Cal Eldred cap instead - can you say "flash in the pan?")!
I would like your insight in regards to the cap that I obtained in the mid-1990's. It is a game used New Era Frank Thomas White Sox cap autographed by Frank on the brim. With Frank fast approaching the HOF and as one of the few current sluggers without the PED taint I would like to know if it checks out. As I said earlier, I have had the cap for almost 20 years and obtained it through a reliable and legitimate source, but no longer have any paperwork. The hat shows some game use and includes Frank's number 35 under the brim. What do you think? I welcome your insights!

pclemente
09-24-2013, 04:58 PM
Hi,
Here are additional pictures of the cap!
Thanks!

lengthwise1
09-25-2013, 01:05 PM
Is the size a 7 1/8? I am not a Thomas expert, but that seems small for such a big guy

Phil316
09-25-2013, 03:04 PM
Here is another Thomas cap that sold in Lelands back in 2007. It is a size 7

http://www.lelands.com/auction/AuctionDetail/35425/January-2007-Lelands-Gaynor/Internet-Only/Game-Used-Baseball/Lot92~Frank-Thomas-White-Sox-Game-Used-Baseball-Cap

joelsabi
09-25-2013, 08:06 PM
welcome to the community.

Couple of questions.

Can you narrow down what year when you bought the cap?
What paperwork did you lose? Was it from Thomas GU handler in the mid 90's (1994-6)?