PDA

View Full Version : whats it worth? White Sox game used items

stasman
09-19-2013, 06:41 PM
I was lucky enough to obtain a set of A.J Pierzynski's catchers gear before he left Chicago. I have a game used chest protector and both of his full shin guards. How do I know they are authentic?, I actually met A.J. at a signing and showed them to him. He asked me where I got them and then signed all 3 and wrote Game used on the chest protector too. Any idea the value?

Also, I have a 2005 world series FULL game 2 ticket that I had Scotty Pods and Paul Konerko sign. (this was the game that Konerko crushed a grandslam and scotty pods hit the walk off home run). Any guess on Value? Thanks

GO SOX

helf35
09-19-2013, 09:14 PM
No idea on the value but if your interested in selling I would be interested.

Desi
09-19-2013, 11:14 PM
To me it depends. Did you he cut the top of the chest protector that has AJ embroidered on it?

trsent
09-20-2013, 06:15 AM
I was lucky enough to obtain a set of A.J Pierzynski's catchers gear before he left Chicago. I have a game used chest protector and both of his full shin guards. How do I know they are authentic?, I actually met A.J. at a signing and showed them to him. He asked me where I got them and then signed all 3 and wrote Game used on the chest protector too. Any idea the value?

Also, I have a 2005 world series FULL game 2 ticket that I had Scotty Pods and Paul Konerko sign. (this was the game that Konerko crushed a grandslam and scotty pods hit the walk off home run). Any guess on Value? Thanks

GO SOX

I know when Geovany Soto left town his game used and autographed catchers gear was selling for about $100.00 a set with very little interest. AJ won a World Series, so I assume him equipment would be worth more than that but I have found most common player catchers gear doesn't sell for very much as it is hard to display and store being bulky.

stasman
09-20-2013, 06:20 AM
Yes, He did cut the AJ from the top of the protector...I think it displays on the wall cool, so I was just curious of the value...Thanks

jbean023
09-20-2013, 06:45 AM
I know when Geovany Soto left town his game used and autographed catchers gear was selling for about $100.00 a set with very little interest. AJ won a World Series, so I assume him equipment would be worth more than that but I have found most common player catchers gear doesn't sell for very much as it is hard to display and store being bulky.

WHERE CAN I GET SOTO SETS FOR 100$ I'LL TAKE EVERY SET YOU CAN FIND. IF YOU HAVE AN IMAGINATION CATCHERS GEAR DISPLAYS VERY WELL. ALSO WHY DO PEOPLE STORE THINGS IF YOU DON'T HAVE ROOM TO DISPLAY AN ITEM OR ITS NOT AN INVESTMENT ITEM THEN PASS IT ON TO SOMEONE THAT WILL APPRECIATE IT AND DISPLAY IT.

trsent
09-21-2013, 08:10 AM
WHERE CAN I GET SOTO SETS FOR 100$ I'LL TAKE EVERY SET YOU CAN FIND. IF YOU HAVE AN IMAGINATION CATCHERS GEAR DISPLAYS VERY WELL. ALSO WHY DO PEOPLE STORE THINGS IF YOU DON'T HAVE ROOM TO DISPLAY AN ITEM OR ITS NOT AN INVESTMENT ITEM THEN PASS IT ON TO SOMEONE THAT WILL APPRECIATE IT AND DISPLAY IT.

They were bulked out at previous Cubs Convention and all sold. The seller was very happy to see them gone from their inventory.

dcgreg25
09-21-2013, 10:29 AM
My experience with Catchers Gear ranges from $200 for low-end players to $1000 for All Star sets. I am not familiar with the value of AJ items, but can tell you that I have purchased a few sets over the years of Indians gear including Victor Martinez, Carlos Santana and Sandy Alomar (Indians). The Martinez and Santana gear is probably worth a little less than I paid now. Based on my experience, I would estimate AJs gear would be worth $400-$500 plus or minus. You may get more in an auction or from a big AJ collector.

Desi
09-21-2013, 10:40 AM
The removal of the AJ embroidery takes away from the value IMO. AJ does this on his own. I know, because I asked him about it. He doesn't like seeing his stuff out there....so he will do stuff like cutting off his embroidery to "lessen" the value. He says he doesn't give away any of his stuff, but when he does (like for Sox charity, he cuts off the embroidery.)

He keeps his stuff which he feels gives it value and keeps it in the family. Anything out there like cleats and catcher's gear he considers stolen and will question you all day on it. I've been questioned by him, and his agent.

helf35
09-21-2013, 11:13 AM
The removal of the AJ embroidery takes away from the value IMO. AJ does this on his own. I know, because I asked him about it. He doesn't like seeing his stuff out there....so he will do stuff like cutting off his embroidery to "lessen" the value. He says he doesn't give away any of his stuff, but when he does (like for Sox charity, he cuts off the embroidery.)

He keeps his stuff which he feels gives it value and keeps it in the family. Anything out there like cleats and catcher's gear he considers stolen and will question you all day on it. I've been questioned by him, and his agent.

WOW! I hate players like that. I have seen a few on eBay but was skeptical because of the name not being there. How can you tell if it was one of his chest protectors without the stitching?

Desi
09-21-2013, 11:19 AM
WOW! I hate players like that. I have seen a few on eBay but was skeptical because of the name not being there. How can you tell if it was one of his chest protectors without the stitching?

I think that's exactly why he does it...

Melissa1334
09-21-2013, 09:56 PM
I think that's exactly why he does it...
There was an aj chest protector with the initials cut out on eBay not too long ago. Like a month ago. If I remember correctly,it went for less then 100, so yea that's probably why he does it

Phil316
09-21-2013, 10:42 PM
AJ is one of the most hated in baseball. From my experience with him I can 100% agree and see why he is. None of this surprises me. I seen him sign baseballs and make sure and smudge every one. I have seen him bend cards corners as he handed them back to kids after signing. I called him out here in Seattle back in 2000, he just looked at me and snickered.

Melissa1334
09-21-2013, 11:07 PM
AJ is one of the most hated in baseball. From my experience with him I can 100% agree and see why he is. None of this surprises me. I seen him sign baseballs and make sure and smudge every one. I have seen him bend cards corners as he handed them back to kids after signing. I called him out here in Seattle back in 2000, he just looked at me and snickered.
That's odd, considering he went to sox fest every year, signed ttm..i don't know, I cant say anything bad about aj, we loved him here lol

trsent
09-22-2013, 03:20 AM
That's odd, considering he went to sox fest every year, signed ttm..i don't know, I cant say anything bad about aj, we loved him here lol

Guy played hard, like Carlton Fisk every day. He may have not been a fan favorite outside of his home city, but he was one of those guys everyone would want on their team because he gave the game 100%.

stasman
09-22-2013, 07:42 AM
Yep..he did question me when I had asked him to sign it. He also cut the straps in the back of the protector and shin guards. Very Interesting..Thanks DESI

salukidave
09-22-2013, 11:40 AM
I have a signed AJ chest protector, which he cut off his "AJ" initials. I wish he hadn't, but the piece still looks cool. I believe it's the one he wore for the Buehrle no-hitter.

I'd rate your set at at least $300. I know I wouldn't part with my chest protector for that, especially with the no-hitter use. In a way, the cutout adds to the authenticity. That he signed everything marks it as authentic in my book anyway.

AJ is one weird cat. Not sure why he would try to decrease his items that are sold for charity at the White Sox Garage Sale, which is where I got my chest protector. Not sure why he would both to give out "bad" autographs -- either sign the item nicely or don't sign at all.

Phil316
09-22-2013, 04:14 PM
Just google his name and put hated after it. He is is just not well liked by many mlb players and plenty of fan stories like mine.

trsent
09-22-2013, 04:35 PM
Just google his name and put hated after it. He is is just not well liked by many mlb players and plenty of fan stories like mine.

When he plays hard on the field and helps win your city's only World Series Championship in your lifetime (Cubs and Sox aren't going to win anytime soon) you overlook the whiners and complainers.

Guy plays the game like it's supposed to be played and other players should learn from him and not complain about him. You never hear of his teammates complaining.

stasman
09-22-2013, 07:42 PM
With him signing all 3 of the pieces and that there aren't many out there, I will keep in on the wall. I'm a huge Sox fan and whether you love or hate AJ he did play the game the way it should be played

Phil316
09-22-2013, 10:03 PM
When he plays hard on the field and helps win your city's only World Series Championship in your lifetime (Cubs and Sox aren't going to win anytime soon) you overlook the whiners and complainers.

Guy plays the game like it's supposed to be played and other players should learn from him and not complain about him. You never hear of his teammates complaining.

Joel If AJ is that good and plays so hard why was he barely cracking the Rangers? In fact all teams passed him up because of his reputation. Just being around the guy the one time made me cringe.

trsent
09-22-2013, 10:40 PM
Joel If AJ is that good and plays so hard why was he barely cracking the Rangers? In fact all teams passed him up because of his reputation. Just being around the guy the one time made me cringe.

Ok, so why do you care about him? A lot of us loved watching him play in Chicago for 8 seasons. Not sure what your issue is with him on The Rangers - He's batting about .275 with 17 home runs with almost 500 at-bats. Pretty good numbers for a 36 year old catcher.

You don't have to like a guy, but some of us only know what he did on the field and we appreciate him for that and you can't make us change our mind so why keep pressing the debate?

sox83cubs84
09-22-2013, 10:56 PM
Ok, so why do you care about him? A lot of us loved watching him play in Chicago for 8 seasons. Not sure what your issue is with him on The Rangers - He's batting about .275 with 17 home runs with almost 500 at-bats. Pretty good numbers for a 36 year old catcher.

You don't have to like a guy, but some of us only know what he did on the field and we appreciate him for that and you can't make us change our mind so why keep pressing the debate?

He may not be a favorite with some collectors, but the ovations he got from White Sox fans when Texas visited the Cell several weeks ago said it all...the vast majority of Sox fans (including me) really appreciated AJs time and contributions here.

Dave Miedema

Phil316
09-23-2013, 12:28 AM

I do not care about the guy AT ALL. Infact i wish he was not in the league. I hoped no team would pick him up but I guess Texas was desperate.

No debate my mind is made up.

Phil316
09-23-2013, 09:24 AM
The guys been in the top 4 of American League catchers offensively all year again with 471 AB's to this point.

Ya he's been hurt this year & Texas is trying to keep a 36 year old body fresh for the playoffs......So What

The Guy gave 110% & played the game the way its supposed to be played everyday he was in Chicago & almost everyone didn't like it was either on the other team, a Fan Boy of the other team or a Spoiled Brat/Wuss Player.

Best White Sox modern day catcher outside of Fisk hands down period.

Nobody's trying to change your closed mind just as no one really gives a crap about your contrived self serving opinions either.

Thank you kindly. ;)