PDA

View Full Version : NFL throwback uniforms going away soon!

nickacs
09-19-2013, 12:29 PM
Interesting article for fellow NFL jersey/helmet collectors, wrt throwback memorabilia going forward:

http://msn.foxsports.com/lacesout/throwback-uniforms-could-indeed-become-a-thing-of-the-past/

JDubbs73
09-19-2013, 01:01 PM
It's disappointing news. I saw this article the other day:

http://tbo.com/sports/bucs/bucs-say-nfl-rule-prevents-wearing-of-throwback-uniforms-20130917/

It included a statement that reads, "Once helmets are properly fitted at the beginning of the season, the league does not want them changed." I took that to mean that teams could potentially "properly fit" more than one helmet at the start of the year, but maybe not. From the content in more recent articles it appears that the league does not want players to wear more than one helmet for the season.

I understand and am all for player safety, but it would be nice to see them reach common ground here.

PAC
09-19-2013, 02:14 PM
Seems like they could just go ahead and fit throwback/alternate helmets before the season starts.

Surely they have backup helmets. What happens if a helmet gets damaged or lost? That player has to sit out the rest of the season?

So, does that mean Trent Richardson has to wear his Browns helmet for the rest of this season???

jake33
09-19-2013, 03:41 PM
As a Buccaneers fan and game used Bucs collector, that ticks me off.

I am happy they are not going to wear the new helmets with the old uniforms though and look rdiculous.

abstractheory
09-19-2013, 11:21 PM
Yep, I saw that on ESPN this morning. Sad that we (Broncos fans) will never see the old Broncos royal D helmets again. :(

happyyoungster
09-20-2013, 07:52 AM
The Packers still plan on wearing their 1929 ACME Packers throwback uniform. To satisfy newer requirements, the Packers decal and striping will be removed from the helmets.

John in KY
09-20-2013, 02:28 PM
Uni-Watch's Paul Lucas interviewed an NFL equipment manager who requested anonymity over in his ESPN column. Per this "equipment guy" (my bet is it's the Giants equipment manager) the issue is more the older players who still use discontinued helmets like a Riddell VSR-4 or one of the old Schutt Air helmets - they can't get an identical helmet model and they don't want these guys having to play with some other helmet model for the throwback games. The quoted equipment manager specifically mentions one of his player who is clinging to a Riddell VSR-4 and they have exactly one replacement left in their storeroom for him, and when it's used then this player is going to have to switch to a modern helmet (unlike like when the Bears equipment manager had to search sporting goods stores for more of the old Wilson helmets for Walter Payton toward the end of his career).

Don't take this to the stupid level where someone who breaks a helmet has to sit out the year (actually they would only replace the shell and keep the player's padding if it was discovered after the game was over) or for a player traded to a different team. Those are necessary replacements helmet replacement. They don't marketing driven "unnecessary" replacements to cover off on 1-2 throwback games - particularly for aging stars who are maintaining their old-style helmets.

If you noticed last weeks Bears/Bills game you will see that the Bills who last year did wear a different white helmet last year (the 2012 throwback was plain molded white while the regular helmet is pearl white) just put the throwback decals on their normal white shell this year.

PAC
09-20-2013, 06:21 PM
"They don't want unnecessary mark eating driven replacements"

Because the NFL never does anything for marketing...it's all for the love of the game! LOL

Anabolicollege17
09-20-2013, 06:33 PM
Lol you think they would want them to play with newer helmet models because they are newer and built more for safety via rules and regulations of today... Does this make sense?

John in KY
09-21-2013, 09:47 AM
"They don't want unnecessary mark eating driven replacements"

Because the NFL never does anything for marketing...it's all for the love of the game! LOL

True - but I think the concussion lawsuit settlement is trumping the extra marketing dollars. This ruling is kind of them "running scared".

John in KY
09-21-2013, 09:53 AM
Lol you think they would want them to play with newer helmet models because they are newer and built more for safety via rules and regulations of today... Does this make sense?

I also agree with this - but, the new helmets fit differently and they don't want someone who has played with a standard helmet since their Pop Warner days to have to make a switch for 1-2 games to something that fits differently, sits on their head differently, etc. They want them to be able to wear the same model helmet - even if it isn't as "safe" as a new one they evidently feel that the player is "safer" wearing what they are used to wearing.

I'm sure there is also behind the scenes talk of them outlawing the old Riddell VSR-4s and Schutt Air models (not counting the modern Air XPs). I don't see this as being that much different than when they outlawed suspension helmets and plastic facemasks for players exposed to contact (i.e. not a kicker) back in the 1980s.

helmet lover
09-27-2013, 06:42 PM
As a Buccaneers fan and game used Bucs collector, that ticks me off.

I am happy they are not going to wear the new helmets with the old uniforms though and look rdiculous.

This pisses me off as well.The Bucs have my favorite throwbacks,and they can't wear them.It seems to me if they can't match up an identical helmet to what they have,they could paint them.Let me know if you have or know where I can get a 76-96 GU Bucs helmet

John in KY
09-30-2013, 12:57 PM
This pisses me off as well.The Bucs have my favorite throwbacks,and they can't wear them.It seems to me if they can't match up an identical helmet to what they have,they could paint them.Let me know if you have or know where I can get a 76-96 GU Bucs helmet

Per the articles I've read these current helmet finishes take 4-5 days to harden - and they need the helmets for practices 3 days after the last game (or 2 days if they played on Monday night). The only way it would work is if they played a Thursday night game, then a regular Sunday, and then had their bye week.

I still think this is just massively overreacting to the concussion lawsuit settlement.

abstractheory
09-30-2013, 08:55 PM
I still think this is just massively overreacting to the concussion lawsuit settlement.

Yep, me too.

JDubbs73
09-30-2013, 10:31 PM

+1

helmet lover
09-30-2013, 10:41 PM
I am not a Bucs fan but a NFL throwback fan.Hopefully the NFL can get this fixed for 2 helmets next year.I don't see how an equipment manager can't possibly fit a player into an same exact to the T 2nd identical helmet for a throwback game.It's not just gonna be the Bucs.The Patriots,Falcons,Cowboys,Steelers & I guess the crazy Eagles throwback & more.I can't remember if it was them that had a powder blue and yellow TB.Man they were terrible YIKES!I would like to see the Titans wear the red white & blue Oilers throwback.They could do that instead of the early 70's powder blue TB since they have a white helmet.Teams make a lot of $$$$ off throwback apparel.I like Tampa's Throwback orange the best of them all & I am looking for a 76-96 GU helmet.Send me a message if you have or know about one for sale

sox83cubs84
11-28-2013, 09:41 PM
The ban by the NFL of special Throwback helmets caused a bit of history Thanksgiving when, for the first time since the Cowboys played in the Cotton Bowl in home game, the team wire their "bad luck" blue jerseys at home. The team decided that the 1960s Throwback uniforms wouldn't work if they didn't have the white helmets from the same era to go with them.

Dave Miedema

Anabolicollege17
11-29-2013, 01:56 AM
So stupid just use the white helmets. Enough with the "well we don't want them wearing new helmets" Shouldn't the newer helmets be safer then the players who wear retired helmets??? This is all a Godell thing playing God as usual. Sick of this commissioner. He is slowly ruining the NFL. Don't even get me started on P.I calls. Myself and 20 die hard NFL fans I know are shying away from even watching like we used to due to the rule changes and what not. Really sad how they are ruining the product. Now the throwback thing as well. Really getting tired of the NFL thats for sure.

Anabolicollege17
11-29-2013, 02:01 AM
Whats next we postpone games if it snows out? Because it can cause concussions of the brain due to, to much snow being inhaled thus causing the brain to freeze leading to concussions? NFL SHOVE IT UP YOURS. Done with this crap product. Every freaking pass is P.I. Its like receivers don't even need to catch anymore they just need to flop for a flag. Tonight pissed me off with the Ravens face guard and no call.

So next we will see.

No kick offs or punt returns
No playing in snow or in-climate weather
Flags attached to players waist.
No helmets (which would be a good idea, due to no weaponizing)
If QB gets touched automatic ball placement at opposing goal line.

John in KY
12-02-2013, 01:12 PM
Whats next we postpone games if it snows out? Because it can cause concussions of the brain due to, to much snow being inhaled thus causing the brain to freeze leading to concussions? NFL SHOVE IT UP YOURS. Done with this crap product. Every freaking pass is P.I. Its like receivers don't even need to catch anymore they just need to flop for a flag. Tonight pissed me off with the Ravens face guard and no call.

So next we will see.

No kick offs or punt returns
No playing in snow or in-climate weather
Flags attached to players waist.
No helmets (which would be a good idea, due to no weaponizing)
If QB gets touched automatic ball placement at opposing goal line.

I hate to tell you this but they are experimenting with "no kick-offs" for the Pro Bowl this year. Hopefully that is a one-time experiment, or at least only used for the Pro Bowl since typically those guys (except the two special teams players) don't do kickoff coverage the rest of the year.

The alternate helmet rule may well go away - the issues I posted about the league not wanting someone who is sticking with outdated equipment to be forced to play a game with a different model helmet came from one of the NFL equipment managers in an interview over on Uni-Watch. Since then a number of NCAA equipment managers have come forward on the record to say that it is not necessary. The only contention between the NCAA equipment managers is some preferred to have the players wear the helmets in practice leading up to the game so they could make final adjustments before the game; others said they have no issue with having "surprise" helmets and just using the measurements they store in their database to "set up" the helmet for each player.

I still believe this was more the NFL running scared from the concussion lawsuits than anything else - taking the extreme stance that helmet shells only get replaced in season because they need to be replaced, not for just a one-game purpose to have an alternate. We've already seen cases where players have even changed helmet manufacturers during this season - off the top of my head both Bears QBs moved from Schutt helmets to Rawlings mid-season and someone from the Chargers went from a Rawlings to a Riddell Revo Speed.