PDA

View Full Version : Muhammad Ali robe / shorts help needed

Jeffredsfan
09-16-2013, 11:01 AM
I am looking to enlist the expert knowledge of the Forum with regards to preserving this Muhammad Ali autographed robe and shorts.

A little back story first.....

I bought this robe and shorts in March of 1986 at the Willow Grove show. It's funny because as I was contemplating the purchase, the dealer was pumping my former brother in law (he was 12 at the time) with free packs of 1986 Donruss baseball cards with the promise he'd keep giving him packs until he got a Jose Canseco rookie. Anyway, I bought the robe and shorts and gave them to Dad for his birthday. My Dad passed away in 2009 and my Mom gave me his Ali robe and shorts a couple of months ago. I want to pass these items onto my son but am at a loss as to how to preserve / properly display them.

Is there some way to have these framed (I would like to have them framed separately) in a manner that would keep the robe and shorts from fading? More importantly, I want to make sure the autographs stay as bold and sharp as they are now. Does anyone have anything similar framed / preserved?

Any and all help is much appreciated!

Jeff

GMEN92
09-16-2013, 03:44 PM
Great piece and story.. The frame stores have special uv blocking glass they use now that should help protect it as I used that and regular plexi glass on my items..

Would you possibly be interested in selling one or both of the pieces ? If so please email me. Mjjakab@yahoo.com. Thanks

Jeffredsfan
09-16-2013, 04:06 PM
Thank you for the information. As far as selling the items, I not ready to do that. It took my Mom almost 4 years to give it to me and I completely understand why she couldn't do it sooner.

Can you give me some idea as to value? I may want explore insuring it. Thanks again for your help.

Phil316
09-16-2013, 04:41 PM
Very nice items one that in my opinion should stay in your family. Especially since it was a gift to your father whom I am sure appreciated it. Your son will one day look at this as a gift from you his Dad and cherish it.

My dad is battling with the terminal disease idiopathic pulminary fibrosis :( and I can understand wanting to keep them in your family.

I will say it again very nice robe and shorts. May I ask what you paid for it back in 1986? If your not comfortable i understand. I am guarded with my collection as well.

Phil

Jeffredsfan
09-16-2013, 04:51 PM
Hi Phil -

Thanks for the kind words and words of wisdom. My son was very close to my Dad and I know he'll appreciate these items. I am truly sorry about your Dad's situation. Make the most of each minute.

I paid 250.00 for the robe and shorts in 1986. They came as a set. I think I worked the dealer down from 300.00.

Take care.

Jeff

Takuleechch
09-16-2013, 06:47 PM
How much would that be today?
Sucks its not signed on the back by his name. I would maybe put it on a mannequin if you have the space that way you see front and back.
Awesome big auto on the shorts

GMEN92
09-16-2013, 07:53 PM
Wow what a bargain in 86. And I agree keep it in the family unless tuff times and need the money that's a rare and yes a very valuable piece. . I would get them authenticated and make a display..
As he said its an awesome big signature which there are not many of and I believe there the more desired ones..

All the best with it and post pics when u display it.. I also agree if you have the room build a shadow box type display and put it on a mannequin

trsent
09-17-2013, 02:40 AM
I'd pay $2500.00 for the pair today so it gives you an idea what they are worth to sell to an autograph dealer.

Takuleechch
09-17-2013, 09:36 AM
I'd pay $2500.00 for the pair today so it gives you an idea what they are worth to sell to an autograph dealer.

You can find these on eBay for 500 a piece from time to time

GMEN92
09-17-2013, 09:48 AM
Half of ali stuff on ebay is 100% fake..

Takuleechch
09-17-2013, 10:01 AM
Yea but the other half isn't

trsent
09-17-2013, 03:14 PM

Show me a real robe or real shorts that have sold on eBay for $500.00 or so in the past year and I'll believe that statement. Robes and shorts have dried up at auction on eBay. I bought a pair of Ali trunks with a faded signature last week for $700.00 and that was the best price I've seen in over a year!

Half of ali stuff on ebay is 100% fake..

Half the Ali stuff? Try more like 75%! And yes, there is certified stuff that is fake by some of the big name companies. I'm embarrassed to see some of the stuff JSA has certified that isn't close. There are others who I won't name that had items that PSA/DNA won't pass which is scary!

Yea but the other half isn't

Again, back up your statement about these being available for $500.00. I saw pictures and stated I would pay $2500.00 for these exact trunks and robe and I'm one of the strongest buyers of genuine Muhammad Ali signatures in the world.

If there are any bargains on eBay, I'm probably the one buying them. :)

Phil316
09-17-2013, 03:26 PM
Joel,

You mention you would pay 2500 for the set. What is the full blown retail for the set ? Would you say about 5,000 ?

Takuleechch
09-17-2013, 03:36 PM
Show me a real robe or real shorts that have sold on eBay for $500.00 or so in the past year and I'll believe that statement. Robes and shorts have dried up at auction on eBay. I bought a pair of Ali trunks with a faded signature last week for $700.00 and that was the best price I've seen in over a year!

Half the Ali stuff? Try more like 75%! And yes, there is certified stuff that is fake by some of the big name companies. I'm embarrassed to see some of the stuff JSA has certified that isn't close. There are others who I won't name that had items that PSA/DNA won't pass which is scary!

Again, back up your statement about these being available for $500.00. I saw pictures and stated I would pay $2500.00 for these exact trunks and robe and I'm one of the strongest buyers of genuine Muhammad Ali signatures in the world.

If there are any bargains on eBay, I'm probably the one buying them. :)

Cool beans.....I'm saying you can find a bargain every now and then of authentic Ali autos on eBay.

trsent
09-18-2013, 01:25 PM
Joel,

You mention you would pay 2500 for the set. What is the full blown retail for the set ? Would you say about 5,000 ?

$5000 would be pushing it, but properly certified I would say $4000 wouldn't too far off.

Cool beans.....I'm saying you can find a bargain every now and then of authentic Ali autos on eBay.

Yes far and few between but there are a few bargains.

nycpropain
09-21-2013, 06:51 PM
Has anyone ever seen Ali write out the date? I only have seen him number the date never write it out.

joelsabi
09-21-2013, 07:05 PM
Has anyone ever seen Ali write out the date? I only have seen him number the date never write it out.

this date inscription is referring to the signing date? the date is after he retired but before he was diagnosed with Parkinson's? So maybe for the time period yes.

Heres another example.

nycpropain
09-22-2013, 06:53 AM
this date inscription is referring to the signing date? the date is after he retired but before he was diagnosed with Parkinson's? So maybe for the time period yes.

Heres another example.

Thank you.

Jeffredsfan
09-28-2013, 06:04 PM
These pictures should put any questions about authenticity to rest. The signatures passed without issue, in fact, the Spence team at the Valley Forge Show remarked how beautiful the signatures were.

CollectGU
09-28-2013, 06:08 PM
I'd be interested in buying if they are for sale.

djob0001@yahoo.com

Thanks,
Dave

Jeffredsfan
09-28-2013, 06:32 PM
Sorry, not for sale. These are staying in the family. I'll post pictures once I get them framed.

sportscentury
09-28-2013, 07:33 PM

Coughed up my drink when I read this post. Not a chance.

trsent
09-28-2013, 11:56 PM
If you are ever going to sell them, spend the extra money and get PSA/DNA letters - Ali autographed items with JSA letters sell for considerably less. Maybe because JSA has passed some questionable Ali items as I have documented on this forum in the past.

http://www.gameuseduniverse.com/vb_forum/showthread.php?t=51197

Jeffredsfan
09-29-2013, 06:33 AM
Thanks for the information Joel.

Takuleechch
09-30-2013, 10:57 PM
Coughed up my drink when I read this post. Not a chance.

I've actually won some before with psa for that
just because you haven't got any for that price doesn't mean they don't exist

Takuleechch
09-30-2013, 11:00 PM
in fact these here would pass psa

http://www.ebay.com/itm/111175594253?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649

http://www.ebay.com/itm/MUHAMMAD-ALI-SIGNED-Everlast-Boxing-GLOVE-FLAWLESS-ALI-AUTO-/121182101913?_trksid=p2047675.l2557&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEWAX%3AIT&nma=true&si=9vpPK1S5UZPn7XHnul4skaHLOOk%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc

Takuleechch
10-01-2013, 06:43 PM
If you are ever going to sell them, spend the extra money and get PSA/DNA letters - Ali autographed items with JSA letters sell for considerably less. Maybe because JSA has passed some questionable Ali items as I have documented on this forum in the past.

http://www.gameuseduniverse.com/vb_forum/showthread.php?t=51197

Hey have you ever got any boxing trunks/robes/gloves signed with a paint pen? Do you think that would work better than a sharpie to stop the spreading and bleeding you sometimes see on boxing items?

Takuleechch
10-02-2013, 12:46 AM
Found this. Looks like he signed a few that day
http://sports.ha.com/c/item.zx?saleNo=716&lotIdNo=81001