PDA

View Full Version : Fran Pirozzolo Mets team psychologist game used/issued jersey on ebay

bgold
09-12-2013, 08:40 PM
Funny thing, he was only with the Mets org for less than a month. Who would buy this?!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/380716951121?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

Jim65
09-15-2013, 11:08 AM
Who would buy this?!

One of his children? :)

metsbats
09-15-2013, 06:50 PM
Maybe he wore this jersey to sneak into the dugout?

http://www.nytimes.com/2003/05/13/sports/baseball/13mets-early.html

bgold
09-16-2013, 11:09 PM
Maybe he wore this jersey to sneak into the dugout?

http://www.nytimes.com/2003/05/13/sports/baseball/13mets-early.html

Yep, could have been one of those jerseys that he wore in the dugout that led to his firing, let's go check the tape....

The jersey is such an insignificant piece of Mets memorabilia and history, would someone actually want it? It's quirky with the story and all, perhaps someone will pick up and think it's an interesting conversation piece. As a jersey to wear, it's small at a size 40. Would you have a child wear it? lol

Of course the seller doesn't know any of this, they have a litany of errros in terms of years used and player names on many of their game used jerseys, it's kinda funny and sad all at the same time.

commando
09-16-2013, 11:36 PM
Of course the seller doesn't know any of this, they have a litany of errros in terms of years used and player names on many of their game used jerseys, it's kinda funny and sad all at the same time.

Absolutely right. This is how a collector finds great deals and interesting relics under the radar... Kruk secured these jerseys in a bulk deal directly from the Mets, so you know the shirts are good. It's a matter of doing the research and finding the potential hidden gems.

If I were a historian for the Mets, I'd buy the jersey. These kinds of anecdotal stories are interesting to fans, and if you showed someone the jersey after telling the story, I'll bet they'd be impressed.

ferro39
09-17-2013, 08:59 PM
i once had a pair of uniform pants that were worn by one of their assistant trainers, but this definitely wins

metsbats
01-07-2015, 11:26 PM
Just brought the home white that Kruk had on ebay. Dr Pirozzolo was fired on May 13, 2003 after the New York Post stated he was spotted in the Mets dugout the last Friday which would have been May 9th. The Mets played at Shea that day and if they wore their home whites this could be the jersey which did him in:D

We know he didn't get to keep his jerseys.

http://nypost.com/2003/05/13/mets-shrink-gets-the-ax/

Sports

METS’ SHRINK GETS THE AX

By Michael Morrissey

May 13, 2003 | 4:00am

DENVER – The Mets downsized their shrink.

Stung by another public relations embarrassment, the club announced yesterday that it has parted ways with “mental skills coach” Fran Pirozzolo. The decision was termed mutual.

Perhaps in response to a Post exclusive chronicling Pirozzolo’s illegal dugout presence last Friday night, the organization acted quickly to cut its losses. The commissioner’s office warned the Mets in April to keep Pirozzolo out of the dugout, since he wasn’t an official coach. He sure dressed the part, however.

Pirozzolo seemed to spend an inordinate amount of time in uniform, both before, during and after BP. He wore No. 57 and was frequently seen hitting fungoes to his son or shagging balls during BP, prompting some observers to joke he was at fantasy camp. How he helped the Mets was unclear, but he brought unnecessary attention to himself in one published report last month by noting the club was 0-5 without him.

Once again Friday, The Post reported Pirozzolo was in the dugout in violation of MLB rules. Two industry sources confirmed Pirozzolo’s salary was approximately $100,000 for the 2003 season, and a team official said negotiations on a buyout or settlement had begun.

“It’s one of those things that didn’t seem to work out on both sides,” said assistant general manager Jim Duquette, who made the trip instead of Steve Phillips. “We can’t talk about the specifics of it.”

In the aftermath of Friday’s transgression, the breakup may have been messy. Reportedly, Shea Stadium security guards had photocopies of Pirozzolo and were not supposed to let him in the ballpark on Saturday afternoon.

Observers felt Pirozzolo, who had previously worked with the Yankees, came off as a self-promoter whose nebulous job title could never be fully explained. Duquette said, “There is some value” to having a team psychologist but they probably won’t fill the position this season.

No word if Pirozzolo gets to keep his jersey.

metsbats
01-10-2015, 04:27 PM
I just got this jersey today from Kruks and the flag tag was taped to the body which I believe was done to take the photo for the auction. I made the mistake of trying to remove the tape and it ended up ruining it. The Mets game used folks have no reason nor the bandwidth to tape tags down on the 1000s of jerseys they handle. I've informed Kruks just now of the damage taping tags can do on these modern jerseys. I see another jersey they have on auction which as been taped too (Ricky Bottalico). Just want to give you a heads up in case you plan on buying one that has been taped.

As for the Pirozzolo I have it's a keeper despite the now damaged tag as I wanted it more for a great conversation piece and another example of something bad in Mets history. It actually shows some bench sitting, ball snagging, hitting fungos to your son type of use.

metsbats
01-12-2015, 04:54 PM
Just got word back from Kruks that they WERE taping the tags for purposes of auction photos. The person who typically did the photos will tell the new staffers to discontinue this practice.

metsbats
02-28-2015, 08:14 AM
Just an update on this two weeks ago I noticed Kruks had an identical home white Pirozzolo jersey with the set tag intact. I email the folks at Kruks asking if I can exchange my taped damaged one with that one. They say yes and promptly ended the auction. I sent back my jersey and received the new one yesterday.

This is the reason I like buying from Kruks as they have always had outstanding customer service and truly go out of their way to make sure customers are satisfied!