PDA

View Full Version : Makes me Cringe!

MLB~NUT
09-04-2013, 05:10 AM
Why, I don't get it? You can get a Whole GU bat for that!:confused:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/2013-Topps-Tier-One-MATT-HOLLIDAY-Game-Used-BAT-KNOB-1-1-/121169363348?pt=US_Baseball&hash=item1c3641c194

MLB~NUT
09-04-2013, 05:21 AM
Or this one, dont get the 220, but not a Harper fan!
http://www.ebay.com/itm/BRYCE-HARPER-2013-TOPPS-TIER-ONE-GAME-USED-BAT-KNOB-RELIC-TRUE-1-1-/121168679997?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1c3637543d

3arod13
09-04-2013, 05:31 AM
When these type cards first came out, I could understand the immediate interest and crazy prices. But now, with so many out there, I don't. Plus, you never really know anything about the bat that the knobs came from. I couldn't see paying those type prices for a card with a knob of a bat. And if collecting those type cards as an investment, I don't see them holding high prices in the future.

MLB~NUT
09-04-2013, 05:56 AM
And this one...
http://www.ebay.com/itm/1-1-TOM-SEAVER-2012-TOPPS-TIER-ONE-GAME-USED-BAT-KNOB-METS-41-SP-/380628528751?pt=US_Baseball&hash=item589f3a6e6f

onlyalbert
09-04-2013, 07:02 AM
http://www.ebay.com/itm/2013-Topps-Tier-One-MATT-HOLLIDAY-Game-Used-BAT-KNOB-1-1-/121169363348?pt=US_Baseball&hash=item1c3641c194

You should buy this one......shouldn't that be a Pujols knob? Holliday wore #15 when he went to the Cards in 09 then #7 the next year.

helf35
09-04-2013, 07:34 AM
He was with the A's when the bat was made. 4/28/09

Spiralstairs
09-04-2013, 08:46 AM
Just to throw in a couple thoughts.

1. Kids in particular (but adults too) have fun opening packs of cards and pulling things like this. I've done it with my son many times and he gets a real thrill out of pulling one, even if not a superstar. And the sets that include game-used cards typically include autographs too, so there is excitement about those too. It's a fun and harmless kind of gambling.

2. I, for one, have serious storage limitations on my ability to store bats. (Less about the space we have and more about the way my wife wants to use our space.) A little collection of cards is easy to store though. And they're easy to display too.

3. Although some of the prices are really out of whack, game-used cards are, in general, a much more affordable way to obtain a piece of a favorite player's gear.

flota89
09-04-2013, 10:54 AM

Especially when you've been looking for a Marucci with Holliday on the barrel. Makes me sick!

sportsnbikes
09-04-2013, 11:27 AM
I'd ask the question of why not just make an insert to win the whole bat? But then the company loses the entire rest of the bat with which to make GU bat cards.

jmeekins33
09-04-2013, 05:46 PM
For me, when you chop something into a thousand little pieces is ceases to be what it was. It is no longer a baseball bat or a jersey. It is now a small piece of garbage. I'm against the card companies doing this for many reasons. Here are a few...

A. It destroys vast amounts of real memorabilia.

B. It's been proven that the swatches are often fake

C. Card companies add phony value to cards by numbering them 1/1, etc.

D. Often cards are worth thousands right out of the gate based on a young players potential. It prices you out of being able to collect your favorite rookies. If you are sucker enough to pay those prices there is a high probability the card will be worth zero inside of 6 months because rookies often don't pan out.

E. It spawned $200-$500 boxes that only contain 4 cards.

F. Card companies are ripping people off because everyone is buying boxes trying to hit the lottery and get a high value card. Most do not because the boxes are full of trash autos of players that aren't even going to make the team that drafted them.

Enyouartist
09-05-2013, 08:51 PM
Or this one, dont get the 220, but not a Harper fan!
http://www.ebay.com/itm/BRYCE-HARPER-2013-TOPPS-TIER-ONE-GAME-USED-BAT-KNOB-RELIC-TRUE-1-1-/121168679997?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1c3637543d

The 220 stand for "second to none".

Enyouartist
09-05-2013, 09:19 PM
For me, when you chop something into a thousand little pieces is ceases to be what it was. It is no longer a baseball bat or a jersey. It is now a small piece of garbage. I'm against the card companies doing this for many reasons. Here are a few...

D. Often cards are worth thousands right out of the gate based on a young players potential. It prices you out of being able to collect your favorite rookies. If you are sucker enough to pay those prices there is a high probability the card will be worth zero inside of 6 months because rookies often don't pan out.

F. Card companies are ripping people off because everyone is buying boxes trying to hit the lottery and get a high value card. Most do not because the boxes are full of trash autos of players that aren't even going to make the team that drafted them.

Have you seen what card companies pass for "game-used" these days? Players wear up to 50 jerseys at once for a hot minute, then take it off to be passed along to collectors as "event-worn". Check out this pic: http://www.beckett.com/news/2011/05/players-use-of-social-media-at-nfl-players-rookie-premiere-may-change-things/

MLB~NUT
09-05-2013, 09:55 PM
Have you seen what card companies pass for "game-used" these days? Players wear up to 50 jerseys at once for a hot minute, then take it off to be passed along to collectors as "event-worn". Check out this pic: http://www.beckett.com/news/2011/05/players-use-of-social-media-at-nfl-players-rookie-premiere-may-change-things/

Glad I got out of that hobby yrs ago, helped fund my GU collection! Had a few Pujols Beckett graded 10's pack pulled rc autos!:D

sox83cubs84
09-07-2013, 04:11 PM

You said it in excellent fashion! +1

Dave Miedema

CPuente57
09-07-2013, 05:06 PM
This is one of the main reasons I finally got out of the card game. I see collector's going crazy over a Kevin Durant Autograph Logoman card. Granted it's a 1 of 1 from National Treasures, but going for like over 11K is crazy. I can get a full Durant gamer from Meigray, an Autograph Inscribed "Durantula" Panini Certified Basketball and a gamer of someone else for the same money! I just couldn't get excited about tiny swatches of uniform when I could get the whole thing for more or less the same price!

timb69
09-10-2013, 08:21 PM

That is the reason I got out of sports cards and gotten into game used memorabilia.

timb69
09-10-2013, 08:35 PM
I started card collecting in 2006. Never knew about hobby boxes until I got on SCF and seen the light. I was hooked. I remember dropping $275 on a "box" of 2006 Topps Paradigm football, and the crap I pulled. An MJD dual jersey auto card, and the "hit" was a Matt Leinart jersey/auto card. I loved the 2011 Topps Platinum, and dropped about $1,500 bucks on it. Was like $100 a box. Just HOPING for a huge hit. I think the best I did was a /10 triple auto of Julio Jones, Mark Ingram and Marcell Dareus. But the best pull I got, was from a $33 box of 2005 Bowman Chrome Football. Was an on card auto of Jim Brown. I found out that I spent way too much on hobby boxes, and went to ebay for singles that I wanted.

As far as the boxes, there are WAY too many different sets, inserts, etc. Topps Triple Threads is bad for this. Sepia, emerald, gold, ruby, and a ton of inserts, parallels and how many 1/1's can they produce? I got tired of it.

MLB~NUT
09-10-2013, 09:59 PM
I started card collecting in 2006. Never knew about hobby boxes until I got on SCF and seen the light. I was hooked. I remember dropping $275 on a "box" of 2006 Topps Paradigm football, and the crap I pulled. An MJD dual jersey auto card, and the "hit" was a Matt Leinart jersey/auto card. I loved the 2011 Topps Platinum, and dropped about $1,500 bucks on it. Was like $100 a box. Just HOPING for a huge hit. I think the best I did was a /10 triple auto of Julio Jones, Mark Ingram and Marcell Dareus. But the best pull I got, was from a $33 box of 2005 Bowman Chrome Football. Was an on card auto of Jim Brown. I found out that I spent way too much on hobby boxes, and went to ebay for singles that I wanted.

As far as the boxes, there are WAY too many different sets, inserts, etc. Topps Triple Threads is bad for this. Sepia, emerald, gold, ruby, and a ton of inserts, parallels and how many 1/1's can they produce? I got tired of it.

Im sure I spent over $2k trying to pull a Babe Ruth, Lou Gehrig, or Jackie Robinson cut Signature card....:p If it were only soo EZ...

JDubbs73
09-24-2013, 01:20 PM
Saw this today from back in February. While the Redskins season start has me a bit bummed, this made it worse. Two great rookie gamers chopped for cards.

http://paniniamerica.wordpress.com/2013/02/02/panini-america-airs-dirty-laundry-gamers-from-rg-iii-alfred-morris-arrive-at-hq/

pclemente
09-24-2013, 05:09 PM
Hi,
I heartily agree! I think the destruction of game used memorabilia is a real tragedy! To tell you the truth I hope most of the swatches are fake because I cannot imagine the sacrilege of destroying a vintage HOFer jersey,cap, bat, etc to make a bunch of cards!
Obviously the card companies are all about the bottom line even if it means destroying important treasures!
Paul