PDA

View Full Version : worst selling experience - trolls

Takuleechch
09-02-2013, 06:59 PM
forum member 1831whiteswan and I made a deal on a pair of gamers back in May. after making the deal he bought something else but said he would have money in two weeks to buy them. over the months it's always been " I'll have it soon" etc etc. then recently the excuse of only having 3/4 of the amount until other items he has sells. I said send that until the rest comes. he said no, to wait.
now I've seen that he has purchased other items since making the deal and has actively been seeking other items.
my fault for being trusting and waiting 4 months. I'm the idiot here and I've learnt from it.

what's been your worst experience with trolls?

sox83cubs84
09-02-2013, 07:35 PM
I have never sold on eBay, but can recall plenty from the pre-Internet era. My "favorite":mad: :mad: would have to be an ongoing contact named Simpson who collected jerseys with a NOB of Simpson (this was back about 20 years ago). Every 4-6 month he would send me a postcard reminding me of his interest in Simpson jerseys. Finally, after a couple of years, I tracked down a Joe Simpson Royals road knit. I contacted him (by snail mail) and, while his response was prompt, it was not gratifying. His letter said that he had "changed his collecting focus" and had just bought a Rick Reichardt Angels flannel from a West Coast dealer. I didn't respond at the time, as I was somewhat PO'd...but not nearly as much as I was 6 months later, when he sent me another postcard, asking me to....you guessed it, keep an eye out for Simpson jerseys, this after turning one down 6 months earlier because he was supposedly collecting something else. This time, I did respond, and my reply wasn't sunshine and rainbows, to say the least.:mad:

Dave Miedema

mbrieve
09-02-2013, 08:14 PM
forum member 1831whiteswan and I made a deal on a pair of gamers back in May. after making the deal he bought something else but said he would have money in two weeks to buy them. over the months it's always been " I'll have it soon" etc etc. then recently the excuse of only having 3/4 of the amount until other items he has sells. I said send that until the rest comes. he said no, to wait.
now I've seen that he has purchased other items since making the deal and has actively been seeking other items.
my fault for being trusting and waiting 4 months. I'm the idiot here and I've learnt from it.

what's been your worst experience with trolls?

I can understand the frustration. I sell a fair amount on eBay and occasionally on the CtoC section on GUU. I never consider a deal complete until I receive payment. The best thing to do is move on as quickly as possible once you get a feet dragging vibe from the potential buyer. If you tell them you are moving on, you just might find a change of heart and payment in your PayPal account. Will that happen every time? No, but it is the best way to handle situations like this. Just my .02

Anabolicollege17
09-02-2013, 10:06 PM
Wow you waited 4 months man. If a member wants me to hold a jersey for him I demand a down payment or a partial pay. If not paid in full asap. I usually receive payment quickly because I sell some sought after items that I know I can sell to anyone. But 4 months is wayyyy to long. Thats a huge red flag esp if no payment plan was discussed.

Takuleechch
09-02-2013, 10:10 PM
Wow you waited 4 months man. If a member wants me to hold a jersey for him I demand a down payment or a partial pay. If not paid in full asap. I usually receive payment quickly because I sell some sought after items that I know I can sell to anyone. But 4 months is wayyyy to long. Thats a huge red flag esp if no payment plan was discussed.

I know - idiot right!!! I would have just put it on eBay but didnt want my source to know and maybe burn a bridge. And I know he collects that player so thought I would wait...weeks..days...months haha then I just got too fed up. Especially after seeing him actively asking for items!

Anabolicollege17
09-02-2013, 10:27 PM
Well you tried to help him out, and do a good thing for a person by holding it as long as you did. Some people just don't care. Its sad

cohibasmoker
09-02-2013, 11:18 PM
Hum - Interesting question. I will say that I've had more issues with "veteran" sellers than Mom and Pop Sellers. I like eBay because of their Buyer protection policy. If things don't go well, just file a complaint with eBay and a 3rd party will look at it. From a Seller's viewpoint, it's been OK for me. I offer a money back guarantee on everything, no questions asked. Thankfully, I've only had a couple of returns

Nothing is perfect so I guess we take the good with the bad. But every now and again, either as a Seller or Buyer, you'll get a yahoo who wants to make threats and kill your dog.

Jim