PDA

View Full Version : Game used bases - big following?

tella27
08-21-2013, 08:03 PM
Do people really get into game used bases? Steiner sells a lot of them but never see anyone selling or trading them. Any thoughts on collecting them or not collecting them?

helf35
08-21-2013, 08:08 PM
I have 1 from the cardinals 2007 season with the world champions logo on the top. I planned on getting it signed but Pujols would only sign pictures and balls so I figured what was the point if I couldn't get his sig. I think any of the bags with cool logos like that are more collectible and wouldn't mind adding a few to my collection. I thought I saw one yesterday from the Yankees white sox series I would like to have.

Umiami338
08-21-2013, 09:07 PM
I'm not big into bases but same as above I like to get interesting ones. I just grabbed a base from last years Red Sox team with the "100 years" logo on it. As bad as they were I wanted something from the season.

cardsfan44
08-21-2013, 09:14 PM
I don't know about a huge following. I have two in my collection, and they are both from Father's Day 2010 in St. Louis. As my family and I live about an hour south of St. Louis. This was the first Father's Day without my father for me and my 3 younger brothers 15, 13, and 11 at the time. I currently have the 1st and 2nd base. Still looking for a 3rd base from that game. The bases are probably my favorite game used pieces I have, just for sentimental value alone

ironmanfan
08-21-2013, 09:34 PM
I collect Ripken GU bases; here is one from his second to last MLB game, which also happened to be his 3000th career game:

http://i88.photobucket.com/albums/k172/whhp72/Game%20Used/DSC00486.jpg (http://s88.photobucket.com/user/whhp72/media/Game%20Used/DSC00486.jpg.html)

From his last career double:

http://i88.photobucket.com/albums/k172/whhp72/Game%20Used/DSC00485.jpg (http://s88.photobucket.com/user/whhp72/media/Game%20Used/DSC00485.jpg.html)

dcgreg25
08-22-2013, 08:47 AM
I have a few from milestone games. To me it seems that the value of bases from non-milestone games drops even more dramatically from retail to resale than jerseys, bats, etc. I believe it is the lack of an association with a specific player (for common bases) as well as the size of the item presenting challenges in storage and display.

tella27
08-22-2013, 12:56 PM
I picked up a signed Derek Jeter gu base from 4/16/2012 - Jeter and Granderson hit back to back HRs to start the game. Not a big Yankee or Jeter fan so thought it would be something I could trade.
Thanks for all the input

tbone90
08-22-2013, 04:07 PM
I actually do collect game used bases but only if they have some sort of logo on the top of the bag. Many bases have cool and interesting jewels on the sides of the bases but that makes it tough to display. Currently I have probably close to 20 bases and am always looking for new, different and interesting ones.

Mulligans
08-22-2013, 04:47 PM
I have a Red Sox First Base from the 2004 World Series....It was so dirty, I couldn't really get it signed.

I sold all the others I had and found there was not much of a market for them....I think they should use the bases longer than an inning or so?? There are just way too many out there.

helf35
08-22-2013, 07:19 PM
I had to dig this out of the closet and now I remember why I bought it in the first place. This was used on September 30 when specious hit he triple in the eighth tho take the lead and eventually go on to win the division and roll through the playoffs. It had the giant foot print and I thought that was cool. Inaugural season and World Series. It has the old tiny authentication sticker on the back you can barely read.

helf35
08-22-2013, 07:20 PM
I hate apple spell check. Spezio

coxfan
08-23-2013, 07:00 AM
Bases are bulky to store, which probably limits individual MLB clubs to a selected group of special ones to keep in inventory. But bases have some features may make them interesting: 1) Since they're usually in for three innings in most games, there are enough plate appearances for different players to allow a collector to do some research, and find interesting things the seller and authenticator may have missed. I own only two bases, but I found one of them was involved in a very significant RBI by a famous player (a fact both authenticator and seller seem to have missed.) 2) They're about 8-10 times rarer than game-used balls, on average; and probably 25-30 times rarer than team-used balls when BP ones that are thrown to or caught by fans are added into the total. 3) They're priced much cheaper than home plates, which have been priced from $5,000-$12,000 these days. ( Bases seem to run from $195-$1500 currently.)