PDA

View Full Version : Why the blurring?

sox83cubs84
08-19-2013, 07:40 PM
I was interested in bidding on this nicely priced GU baseball, but was turned off when I saw that the photo had the six-digit ML Authentication number blurred out (the BB prefix was left intact). Maybe I'm overlooking something, but why would a seller want to obscure crucial ID information unless there's something fishy? If anyone can give me a reason, I'd be gratified to hear it.

Dave Miedema
http://i.ebayimg.com/t/Dodgers-vs-Rockies-Game-Used-Baseball-8-19-2007-Steiner-COA-/00/s/NTAwWDUwMA==/z/xIEAAMXQBlJSClZa/$T2eC16NHJIIFHI7jR!PgBSClZZ5rjQ~~60_12.JPG

Hoosier39
08-19-2013, 07:43 PM
I think people feel more comfortable doing this so they can try to avoid anyone from fraud.

Hoosier39
08-19-2013, 07:44 PM
And I meant to add- if you ask the person what the number is, 98% of the time they'll give it to you.

emann
08-19-2013, 08:03 PM
Steiner uses stock photos for auctions of items like baseballs/bases and they blur out the holo numbers.

Puig66
08-19-2013, 10:04 PM
And I meant to add- if you ask the person what the number is, 98% of the time they'll give it to you.

And the other 2%, you "give it" to them?

Hoosier39
08-19-2013, 10:20 PM
And the other 2%, you "give it" to them?

Well, there's always a jerk in the bunch.

bobsis24
08-20-2013, 06:36 PM
I think people feel more comfortable doing this so they can try to avoid anyone from fraud.

Can you explain the fraud scenario you're thinking of? I've always wondered about folks blurring the authentication info, too.

Bob

Hoosier39
08-20-2013, 07:11 PM
Can you explain the fraud scenario you're thinking of? I've always wondered about folks blurring the authentication info, too.

Bob

Well for example- taking the photo of the sticker off of ebay and using it for your own sale. Not necessarily making another sticker with that number but using that photo. I'm sure there's other reasons why people blur out the number. Heck, I saw someone in the pick up threads do it on their bats.

I personally don't really care to blur out the number but whatever.

xpress34
08-21-2013, 10:22 AM
I wonder if these 'blurers' will start blurring out the QR Codes that are now being included on the MLB Authentication stickers?

joelsabi
08-21-2013, 05:07 PM
I have never understood withholding this information as it hinders buyer interest.

I have seen it withheld because the baseball wasn't as significant as it seemed (ie. actual hr baseball vs baseball used from that game) and/or it wasnt as rare as it seemed (ie. able to pull up 20 other baseballs that were authenticated that game). Both scenarios it preys on the uneducated.

I understand some collector being taking extra precautions by blurring to protect their collection too.

Some do it for exprediancy like Steiner using it as a stock photo to get the stuff out their asap.

bobsis24
08-21-2013, 11:37 PM
Well for example- taking the photo of the sticker off of ebay and using it for your own sale. Not necessarily making another sticker with that number but using that photo. I'm sure there's other reasons why people blur out the number. Heck, I saw someone in the pick up threads do it on their bats.

I don't see how this protects an honest seller of the real item.

Once he sells the real item, I don't think he'd be overly concerned about what some fraudulent seller might do someday in the future. So it seems like the issue is a seller who offers a fraudulent item for sale (at a lower price) at the same time the honest seller is offering the real one.

But even if the honest seller blurs the holo, the fraudulent seller could use that photo. He'd still appear to be offering the same item that the honest seller is offering, again at a lower price.

(Is forgery of MLB holograms a significant problem? If so, I guess that would be a valid reason to blur the number.)

I have never understood withholding this information as it hinders buyer interest.

I have seen it withheld because the baseball wasn't as significant as it seemed (ie. actual hr baseball vs baseball used from that game) and/or it wasnt as rare as it seemed (ie. able to pull up 20 other baseballs that were authenticated that game). Both scenarios it preys on the uneducated.

I understand some collector being taking extra precautions by blurring to protect their collection too.

Some do it for exprediancy like Steiner using it as a stock photo to get the stuff out their asap.

I agree with Joel about the Steiner case; there's nothing fraudulent about that.

Joel's example points out how blurring the holo can actually promote fraud, rather than prevent it!

Any rational seller wants the best price he can get. Since blurring the holo can only reduce buyer interest as others have pointed out, he's shooting himself in the foot by doing it. If I were going to blur it, I'd make it clear in the ad that I'm happy to give the number to any potential buyer who requests it.

But I don't see how blurring the holo protects a collection. Are there any situations where a hologram number can be traced to its owner? Doesn't it just link to the item itself? If the owner is concerned about theft of an item, it seems like posting about it is a bigger problem, in that it ties the owner to the item (with or without a hologram).

Bob