PDA

View Full Version : ARod hit by pitch

cjclong
08-19-2013, 03:29 PM
Last night ARod was hit by Dempster the first time he came up.
If it was intentional, and it clearly appeared it was, that is just wrong. A person can despise ARod, think he is a cheat, a disgrace to baseball,etc, but its not right to throw at him for that reason. People, including baseball players, may not like it but the players union agreed to a process in which a player can appeal his suspension and continue to play. People may not like it and wish ARod was gone, but that is the rule and people have to live with it. Demptster or Lackey or any player has the right to say anything they want about ARod, but not throw at him. If that sort of thing is allowed then pitchers could start throwing at people because they don't like their politics, their religion or lack of it. And virtually everyone who has seen the tape believes it was intentional. A major league pitcher doesn't throw a ball behind a hitter and then hit him a couple of pitches later when he isn't having that kind of control trouble with anyone else.

yanks12025
08-19-2013, 03:33 PM
What do you expect, it's the red Sox's. Probably the most classless organization and fans in the game and also probably the biggest hypocrites!

I love how they boo and yelled steroids for a-rod, yet they cheer for David Ortiz who is also a cheater and probably has cheated just as much. But no mlb looks the other way for Sox's players.

Phil316
08-19-2013, 04:58 PM
I have never heard or seen proof about David Ortiz. Lots of people flapping their gums and spewing out rumors but to this day David Ortiz himself cannot even get clarification.

http://fullcount.weei.com/sports/boston/baseball/red-sox/2013/08/07/david-ortiz-nobody-has-offered-clarification-regarding-2003-list/

I think every fan not just Red Sox fans in baseball have the right to jump on A-Rod. The guy is cancer to not only his teammates (totally showed last night when no one would even stick up for him after he was drilled by Dempster) but to major league baseball. He continually lies and cheats and is in complete denial. What kind of person is that to look up to.

As far as the other players who got banned. They deserve to be sitting at home. The only difference is that they "OWNED" there mistakes and accepted their suspensions. A-Rod will try and convince you of something that is not true. The proof is in the pudding.

In my opinion tf your a Yankees fan and an Alex Rodriguez fan you have every right to be pissed off.

cjclong
08-19-2013, 05:30 PM
Fans have "the right to get on him." Wouldn't have the right to throw stuff at him. I'm not defending what it seems he has done and he brought it on himself. The sad thing is, he could have been a star without PED's. Even if he hit 100 extra home runs with the aid of PED's, and it would be very doubtful they helped him to that extent, he would still have over 500 and be in the hall of fame. And for a guy who is regarded, often, as classless, he handled the situation last night with some class. Didn't charge the mound or even do a lot of mouthing and then hit a home run off Dempster next time up. I'll be interested to see if baseball gives Dempster a suspension for hitting him.

sox83cubs84
08-19-2013, 05:30 PM
I have never heard or seen proof about David Ortiz. Lots of people flapping their gums and spewing out rumors but to this day David Ortiz himself cannot even get clarification.

http://fullcount.weei.com/sports/boston/baseball/red-sox/2013/08/07/david-ortiz-nobody-has-offered-clarification-regarding-2003-list/

I think every fan not just Red Sox fans in baseball have the right to jump on A-Rod. The guy is cancer to not only his teammates (totally showed last night when no one would even stick up for him after he was drilled by Dempster) but to major league baseball. He continually lies and cheats and is in complete denial. What kind of person is that to look up to.

As far as the other players who got banned. They deserve to be sitting at home. The only difference is that they "OWNED" there mistakes and accepted their suspensions. A-Rod will try and convince you of something that is not true. The proof is in the pudding.

In my opinion tf your a Yankees fan and an Alex Rodriguez fan you have every right to be pissed off.

I wouldn't say "no one" stuck up for A-Roid. Yankees manager Joe Girardi argued to the point of being ejected, and continued to vent to reporters after the game. Part of Girardi's anger was directed because this is the second time since A-Roid returned that he has been hit by a pitch on the road and the home fans went on a cheering binge (Chicago, his first series back).

I'm not a fan of batters being intentionally plunked, but, given that A-Roid is currently battling Ryan Braun for the title of Most Hated Player In Baseball, he and Girardi have got to realize that there will be fans in almost any ballpark who, as long as A-Roid is not seriously injured, will show their delight at his getting hit.

Dave Miedema

yanks12025
08-19-2013, 06:03 PM

Ortiz was on the same list of players who tested positive back in 2003. That's the same list arod was on. Oh yeah David said he'd get tot he bottom of how he failed. Funny how he hasn't tried in years to find out info about it. And more proof is look at him when he was a twin. Went from junk to allstar quickly.

3arod13
08-19-2013, 06:08 PM
I was really enjoying no post about Arod for a good long time now. Damn you Red Sox!!

godwulf
08-19-2013, 06:35 PM
I have to say that I disagree with just about every word of the Opening Post. Arod absolutely DOES deserve to be thrown at. If it's acceptable (and to a majority of Baseball fans, I think it is) to plunk a guy for admiring a home run ball on his previous at-bat, or for rounding the bases too slowly when he's not even a catcher, or for "adding on" unnecessarily to a lop-sided score with a stolen base, or for breaking up a perfect game with a bunt hit...and about a hundred other things, it sometimes seems...tarnishing The Game's reputation by being a selfish, dishonest asshole should get you thrown at, no question.

Phil316
08-19-2013, 07:21 PM
Ortiz was on the same list of players who tested positive back in 2003. That's the same list arod was on. Oh yeah David said he'd get tot he bottom of how he failed. Funny how he hasn't tried in years to find out info about it. And more proof is look at him when he was a twin. Went from junk to allstar quickly.

If you look at Davids numbers before he left Minnesota you will see he was already hitting 20hrs and 75 ribs. Most players hit there prime around 27/28 with the occasional late bloomer like Ortiz.

Jags Fan Dan
08-19-2013, 07:45 PM
To me, there is a huge difference between head hunting with an intent to injure a player, which I would never condone, and a good old fashioned bean ball that can send any number of messages. If Dempster just had to tell A Wad what he thinks of him, I guess point proven. And if the Yanks need to put one into the back of one of the Sox next time around, then so be it. The beanball has been around a long time, and so it should be.

GameUsedGR61
08-19-2013, 07:58 PM
I find it classless to throw at any player. I am a Yankees fan but if you throw at someone three times, you should of been thrown out of the game. I was happy that Sabathia didn't retaliate, but I will not be surprised if someone does in the next series. It was classless when Dempster did it, when Clemens did it, when Chamberlain does it and when Cole Hamels did it on Harper. I know its part of the game but I disagree with it. If you hate someone, strike him out and make him go 0 for 5.

Now if MLB players are upset with it, that is fine. I still don't think throwing at someone justifies it. If an NL pitcher uses a spitball and gets caught, is it justifiable that he must get thrown at. No.

The comment about the fans, that doesnt bother me. Fans cheer for anything. I remember when Michael Irvin was cheered after he hurt his neck in Philly.

Puig66
08-19-2013, 09:03 PM
Baseball polices itself.

I agree with most of what has been said here. Dempster made a statement for BASEBALL. He stood up for the history of the game. A-Rod did deserve to get plunked (as long as it wasn't at the head) but he had the last word. Instead of losing his composure, he held it together and came back and homered off of Dempster. As much as some of you hate the guy, that's pretty impressive.

That's why we're here commenting on it. The "unwritten rules". It got our attention. And that in itself says it all. What a great game baseball is.

Bottom line, if this continues, sooner or later Mr. Rodriguez, love him or hate him, will probably lose his cool and charge the mound. A player can only take so much.

I look forward to the next chapter.

Phil316
08-20-2013, 12:52 AM
Plus with his age and 211 game suspension it might have been the last chance Dempster had to make that statement. I highly doubt a young pitcher would have gotten away with it. I think it showed plenty of class burying the ball in A-Rods ribs instead of his teeth lol.

I am over Alex Rodriguez and his denials. Ban him for life. Baseball would be better without him and his traveling side show.

coxfan
08-20-2013, 08:18 AM
Deliberately throwing at a batter is an inexcusable act, especially if it's retaliation for a HR. it's one of those "traditional parts of the game", like umpire "human error" that should be corrected rather than forever defended.

Years ago players complained that Roger Clemens took it to another level by deliberately throwing fast balls behind batters' heads just to intimidate them. Players made it clear that even "unwritten" rules didn't allow that, but he felt they didn't apply to him. I think I recall that Selig suspended him once for so doing, and Clemens immediately threw at the first batter he faced after the suspension. Clemens is lucky he didn't seriously hurt a batter. If he had, the Mitchell Report might not be his biggest problem.

Years ago Dave Justice was sent sprawling by a knockdown pitch that just missed him. He hit the next pitch far into the seats and gave the pitcher a priceless look of defiance as he rounded the bases. I've called that situation a "justice HR" ever since.

Wrigley2010
08-21-2013, 02:50 AM
When you repeatedly disgrace the game by cheating and lying the only one who should be called classless here is Arod. Look at it from Dempsters side. He's had a clean career and been a successful MLB pitcher in both the bullpen and as a starter. He is a veteran and someone who has always been held in high regard by his teammates and fellow players. How much better would his career numbers be if he had pitched on equal ground? What's it like for him to have to answer constant questions about steroids in baseball? What's it like for him to pitch to a guy he knows is cheating and should be suspended?

If someone disgraced your profession over and over again would you stand up or sit back and let it happen? Pitchers have been throwing at batters intentionally for longer than any of us can remember. It's part of the game whether we like it or not. He did not throw at his head which would have changed the entire look of this situation. He stood up for the game we all love while keeping within the boundaries of the rules of baseball... can't say that same for Arod.

Jim65
08-21-2013, 06:31 AM
If Dempster is so angry about players cheating, he should demand the union not defend players who use peds. Throwing at ARod accomplished nothing except getting himself suspended .

coxfan
08-21-2013, 08:28 AM
Jim65 is correct, and some players and former players are urging similar approaches to give less support to PED users. Unfortunately, the union is legally bound by procedures inherited from previous MLBPA administrations; and those aren't easy to change.

slab0meat
08-21-2013, 09:00 AM
So any pitcher that's been caught breaking the rules.. if a batter isn't happy with him for what he's done, can he just walk up to him and crack him in the ribs with his bat? The "unwritten rules", including beanballs being intentionally thrown, and often followed by another, are the biggest crock of shit around. Would that be ok, since the bat wasn't aimed at the pitcher's head? The justification for potentially injuring someone (minor or severely) is laughable. Have a problem with a guy that badly and need to confront him, but you need a hardball to do it with? Boy, that's being a real man.

This is coming from a Yankees fan who has never liked Rodriguez. I also don't like the "unwritten rules", as said.

And the others who are at home, suspended... that "they OWNED it" is laughable... more cheaters who got caught for their "mistakes" .. yep, some mistakes. Would any of them have "OWNED" it if they weren't caught, or kept on their merry cheating lives?

xpress34
08-21-2013, 11:15 AM
And now A-Rod is SUING his employer for Medical MalPractice claiming that the Yankees and their Team Doctor intentionally mislead him about his hip.

This guy seriously lives in his own world and just wants to make his own life tougher in the Yankees Organization so he can whine and cry about how badly he's treated later.

ferro39
08-21-2013, 02:04 PM
"You don't throw at a guy four times. He violated every code in every way.''
--CC Sabathia

ferro39
08-21-2013, 02:06 PM
and the yankees couldnt do anything to stand up for him because the HP umpire essentially neutered them by issuing warnings to both sides.

they should actually be thanking dempster. 3 straight come-from-behind wins since his clown shoe antics.

Wrigley2010
08-21-2013, 08:39 PM
Comparing a "bean ball" to being hit with a bat is absurd. I played baseball throughout my college years and I can tell you being hit with a baseball is no comparison to a bat.. poor metaphor. As for needing a "hardball" to confront Arod.. I guess Dempster could have just charged the plate and everyone would have considered him more of a "man" for doing so. I have to admit for the most part the opinions here shock me.

emann
08-21-2013, 10:19 PM
And now A-Rod is SUING his employer for Medical MalPractice claiming that the Yankees and their Team Doctor intentionally mislead him about his hip.

This guy seriously lives in his own world and just wants to make his own life tougher in the Yankees Organization so he can whine and cry about how badly he's treated later.

I think the endgame here for Arod is to play full steam for the next month and see if he wins his appeal in the Nov/Dec, if not, I think he retires, never serves his suspension and sues for a settlement on his remaining contract based on the malpractice claim (and what he probably feels is some sort of collusion between MLB and the Yankees to get rid of him).

It would avoid the years of negative publcity if he gets on pace to break the HR record, avoids this traveling sideshow of booing & hate signs everywhere he goes, avoids having to serve a lengthy suspension and be expected to come back and play. He's 38, he's not getting the HOF no matter what records he holds, and 90% of the fans hate him—that's gotta be a harsh reality for someone with an Arod-sized ego.

slab0meat
08-22-2013, 08:57 AM
Comparing a "bean ball" to being hit with a bat is absurd. I played baseball throughout my college years and I can tell you being hit with a baseball is no comparison to a bat.. poor metaphor. As for needing a "hardball" to confront Arod.. I guess Dempster could have just charged the plate and everyone would have considered him more of a "man" for doing so. I have to admit for the most part the opinions here shock me.

You're not the only one who's played, though I did not in college, so I guess that disqualifies my opinion. Bean balls (though not THIS one, obviously) break hands, jaws, noses, whatever. It's not some little kid is lobbing a baseball. It's a 80-something to 90-something MPH hard baseball. Just a minor bump or bruise, I guess, from the sounds of it.

You can say it's a poor analogy all you like, it's still an idiot doing what HE wants, even though the organization they both ultimately work for, the MLB, ALLOWS the guy to keep playing after the appeal. So, whether it's a ball, bat, or anything... he should just do what he feels like because he's not happy with Rodriguez? oooh, poor, poor, Dempster. Imagine if he put that much thought and effort into reducing his almost-5 ERA?

Puig66
08-22-2013, 09:19 AM
When you repeatedly disgrace the game by cheating and lying the only one who should be called classless here is Arod. Look at it from Dempsters side. He's had a clean career and been a successful MLB pitcher in both the bullpen and as a starter. He is a veteran and someone who has always been held in high regard by his teammates and fellow players. How much better would his career numbers be if he had pitched on equal ground? What's it like for him to have to answer constant questions about steroids in baseball? What's it like for him to pitch to a guy he knows is cheating and should be suspended?

If someone disgraced your profession over and over again would you stand up or sit back and let it happen? Pitchers have been throwing at batters intentionally for longer than any of us can remember. It's part of the game whether we like it or not. He did not throw at his head which would have changed the entire look of this situation. He stood up for the game we all love while keeping within the boundaries of the rules of baseball... can't say that same for Arod.

I agree in every respect.

All I can add is my feelings about the steroid era. Obviously everyone is bothered by it. Just look at the discussion here for proof.

It will take years for the jury to be out on how to handle the cheating era. But in the meantime, I have to admit, there are a few guys I can't help but like that we all know cheated the game. And for that they will pay the ultimate price of never seeing Cooperstown. McGwire, Sosa, A-Rod, and Manny are all on my "like" list. There was just something about these guys and what they did that struck a cord in me. The personality aspect of it also comes into play. But in the end, they cheated the game. They tarnished the great records of past superstars who exhibited their skills on a mostly level playing field.

So if any of my guys mentioned above were at the plate today, and they got thrown at 4 times in a row until a nice bruise was left, so be it. That's the game of baseball, and I have no problem with it.

xpress34
08-22-2013, 09:37 AM
But in the meantime, I have to admit, there are a few guys I can't help but like that we all know cheated the game. And for that they will pay the ultimate price of never seeing Cooperstown.

There was just something about these guys and what they did that struck a cord in me. The personality aspect of it also comes into play. But in the end, they cheated the game. They tarnished the great records of past superstars who exhibited their skills on a mostly level playing field.

So if any of my guys mentioned above were at the plate today, and they got thrown at 4 times in a row until a nice bruise was left, so be it. That's the game of baseball, and I have no problem with it.

I can concur with this, my guys are McGwire and Giambi.

The difference between them and the A-Roids, Sosas, Bonds, ManRam, etc are that McGwire and Giambi both were visibly upset and embarrassed by their mistakes and they both still treat fans with respect.

ARod, Bonds, Manny, etc like to deny, deny, deny and treat the fans like 2nd class citizens - and in Manny's case, show what a true coward looks like by running away instead of facing his 100 game suspension like a man.

Just my .02

Puig66
08-22-2013, 11:21 AM
I can concur with this, my guys are McGwire and Giambi.

The difference between them and the A-Roids, Sosas, Bonds, ManRam, etc are that McGwire and Giambi both were visibly upset and embarrassed by their mistakes and they both still treat fans with respect.

ARod, Bonds, Manny, etc like to deny, deny, deny and treat the fans like 2nd class citizens - and in Manny's case, show what a true coward looks like by running away instead of facing his 100 game suspension like a man.

Just my .02

In Manny's case, I don't believe he's in "denial" mode. He just claims to be a man of faith now, and avoids the issue as much as possible, addressing it with "I have made mistakes but have changed my ways" comments. So it's clear he's fessed up.

I also agree that McGwire and Giambi handled it all with much more class and dignity. I would even go as far as saying I completely forgive McGwire. The pain displayed in his "confession speech" when he came out on his own accord and offered that he had used steroids his whole career, was a powerful statement about the man himself.

If anyone of these guys were to squeak in the back door at Cooperstown, I would say McGwire would lead the possibilities. It would be a statement, a "check" for character. There are other "cheaters" who were far more talented than the one-dimensional McGwire (Bonds for one, but I don't see ANY quality, other than obvious raw talent, that makes Bonds worthy of enshrinement. He was despicable to his core, completely void of conscience in his only goal to cheat the most hallowed record in baseball).

That said, I don't see that happening. The bouncer at the back door is a WHOLE lot bigger than Mark in his prime. The nameplate on his jacket reads "Respect D. Game". Some things can be forgiven. But they should never be rewarded.

Bram

cjclong
08-27-2013, 10:35 AM
If Dempster is so upset about players who are accused of using banned substances who else on the list has he thrown at? He could probably plunk someone almost every start if that was his motive and I don't see him doing that. As for making a "statement" his statement was to deny he intentionally threw at ARod. If he truly wanted to make a statement that's pretty gutless. As far as the "tradition" of throwing at batters after a homerun, that tradition can get you thrown out of a game and suspended now. And it should. There are people I'm not fond of and whose opinions I totally disagree with, but I don't get to go up and slug them, face or ribs. Sports should be no different.

bdeol44
09-06-2013, 07:50 PM
Plus with his age and 211 game suspension it might have been the last chance Dempster had to make that statement. I highly doubt a young pitcher would have gotten away with it. I think it showed plenty of class burying the ball in A-Rods ribs instead of his teeth lol.

I am over Alex Rodriguez and his denials. Ban him for life. Baseball would be better without him and his traveling side show.

Well said.

dtmd59
09-08-2013, 09:55 PM
Well said.

Yep