PDA

View Full Version : 2008 MLB WORLD SERIES GAME USED BASEBALL database breakdown

jake33
08-15-2013, 09:53 AM
From being a Rays game used collector for over a decade, the pinnacle of their history was reaching the 2008 World Series. Over the last couple years I have tried to collect data about all the authenticated game used baseballs from the 2008 MLB World Series against the Philadelphia Phillies. I have compiled a spread sheet that tracks the authenticated game used baseballs from that World Series.

Interesting tidbits of those 2008 World Series game used baseballs are as follows:

Game 1 = 32 Authenticated game used baseballs
Game 2 = 27 Authenticated game used baseballs
Game 3 = 20 Authenticated game used baseballs
Game 4 = 31 Authenticated game used baseballs
Game 5 = 29 Authenticated game used baseballs

The players with the most baseballs attributed to them are not surprisingly are Kazmir and Hamels, both players started 2 games in the 2008 World Seres, so that is not too surprising.

Cole Hammels = 24 baseballs attributed to him
Scott Kazmir = 18 baseballs attributed to him

Jayson Werth has the most balls authenticated to a hitter in the 08 WS with 12 baseballs.

As for specific use:

Only 1 ball was authenticated as 1st pitch of the game. That surprised me as I would think each 1st pitch of the game would have gotten authenticated.

46 of the 139 authenticated 2008 World Series baseballs (33%) were PITCHES IN THE DIRT.

35 of the 139 authenticated 2008 World Series baseballs (25%) were FOUL baseballs.

As for HIT or more of the noteworthy event baseballs….
3 Singles
1 Double
2 Walks
2 HBP
2 Wild Pitches
1 authenticated as a “DOUBLE STEAL”

11 Baseballs were generic authentication of
1 baseball was authenticated as “GAME READY” and I did not include this one baseball as the game used listing.

coxfan
08-15-2013, 11:27 AM
Excellent research! This kind of survey is always valuable in the general understanding of the always-changing authentication procedures.

I've done and posted in GUU similar surveys of other games, such as Game 2 of the 2010 ALCS ( The Rangers' first-ever home postseason win.) In that game, I think there were 55 authenticated balls. With one exception, it looked like every ball that came out of play was authenticated. The one exception was that it looked like the 8th-inning strikeout ball of Jorge Posada was taken out of play but not authenticated. I suspect it was given directly to pitcher Darren Oliver, bypassing the authenticator.

Authentication procedures vary greatly from time to time and city to city. There's little that is standard about them.

jake33
08-15-2013, 03:47 PM
I have done this also for a couple All Star games. MLB authenticates 28-42 balls per year at the All Star Game, so I always thought ALL Star game used baseballs should be worth more than World Series balls (assuming an apples to apples comparison like a "pitch in the dirt")

I think it helps a lot when the supply for the item is actually shown. I think sometime people think there are 100's of authenticated baseballs out there for an event like the World Series and/or All Star game.

cliffjmp33
08-15-2013, 11:38 PM
Quick follow up question. How many balls were recorded as fielding errors? Not sure you have that, but I ask as I have one.

Thanks for sharing all the great info too!

coxfan
08-16-2013, 08:31 AM
The question about authenticating fielding errors is an interesting one. In my surveys of Rangers' postseason games, I don't recall any fielding errors, though they seem to have done every ball that comes out of play. That raises an interesting issue: Since the authenticator only documents only the ball's last use, some kinds of plays (eg errors, double plays) are less likely to be the last use of the ball. That might introduce a subtle statistical bias in the kinds of uses noted on the holograms.

The point about documenting the rarity of items through these surveys is also valid. I'm surprised that many rare and valuable artifacts are available, possibly because even team merchandise people haven't researched or appreciated their full use and value.

coxfan
08-16-2013, 09:38 AM
It looks like some 2008 World Series game-used balls are coming up for auction on mlb.com; just listed.

xpress34
08-16-2013, 09:41 AM
The point about documenting the rarity of items through these surveys is also valid. I'm surprised that many rare and valuable artifacts are available, possibly because even team merchandise people haven't researched or appreciated their full use and value.

Interesting point about Team Merch People and their lack of appreciation.

Because of this at Coors Field this year, I was able to obtain a GU ball from the 2nd Home Game of the Season, which also happened to be the 1st Day that the Rockies used their 20th Anniversary Logo Balls. (Opening Day had Opening Day Logo Balls).

When I went to the booth in the 6th inning, they already had some GU Balls - including a Double by Will Venable.

That double happened to be the 1st HIT baseball of one of the new 20th Anniversary Balls - Venable was the 2nd batter in the 1st inning and ht the double after Garland struck out the Lead Off batter.

Garland signed the ball under the 20th Ann Logo and Venable signed the Sweet Spot for me the next day before the game.

I would have thought the Rockies might want it for their historical collection, but apparently nobody put 2 and 2 together on what the ball represented.

jake33
08-16-2013, 10:36 AM
Cliff you have that Kazmir/Burrel error ball correct?

I believe there were only 3 total balls authenticated as errors.

cliffjmp33
08-16-2013, 12:01 PM
Cliff you have that Kazmir/Burrel error ball correct?

I believe there were only 3 total balls authenticated as errors.

That is correct. Thanks for the info, nice to add a little tidbit like that to my notation. Appreciate the research!

KTroublesome
08-16-2013, 02:37 PM
Steiner somehow had a few authenticated for sale as well. Some had duel authentication, some had just a Steiner authentication. No idea how many though.

dplettn
08-19-2013, 11:58 AM
Excellent research! This kind of survey is always valuable in the general understanding of the always-changing authentication procedures...

Authentication procedures vary greatly from time to time and city to city. There's little that is standard about them.

Couldn't agree more. I think very highly of both these organizations' programs today and its neat to have a glimpse as to what all was authenticated in their host stadiums for the World Series. 2008 certainly was before my experiences with either.

I would imagine that the World Series motivates a lot of thorough practices for an authentication regime that benefits what these programs have done since.

Looking to add to Joey Votto and Jay Bruce game used hit ball collection. Please contact me at plettner at fuse dot net if you have anything noteworthy. I prefer to simply buy, but please make contact even if you are not motivated to sell for $. I'd likely be willing to trade you something you'll covet more, and at minimum I'd just enjoy seeing what is out there.

Dewey2007
08-19-2013, 03:15 PM
Nice research Jake! Surprised only 4 hit balls total were authenticated for the entire 5 game series. Glad I got one of them (Jimmy Rollins single off Matt Garza in Game 3)!

dplettn
08-20-2013, 10:19 AM
To those who are interested in these balls, five are being auctioned right now with proceeds benefiting the Rays Baseball Foundation:

link to Rays world series GU ball auction (http://rays.auction.mlb.com/cgi-bin/ncommerce3/Search?merchant_rn=33337679&GO_SEARCH=YES&status=O&sort_order=priced&textsearch=world+series&Submit.x=0&Submit.y=0)

Hope this is helpful!

I'm Looking to add to Joey Votto and Jay Bruce game used hit ball collection. Please contact me at plettner at fuse dot net if you have anything noteworthy. I prefer to simply buy, but please make contact even if you are not motivated to sell for $. I'd likely be willing to trade you something you'll covet more, and at minimum I'd just enjoy seeing what is out there.

TJordan522
10-07-2013, 08:03 PM
Over the last couple years I have tried to collect data about all the authenticated game used baseballs from the 2008 MLB World Series against the Philadelphia Phillies. I have compiled a spread sheet that tracks the authenticated game used baseballs from that World Series.

Jake, would you be email to email me the spreadsheet with your research? After a few years in search of an '08 World Series ball I recently picked one up and I'd love to take a look at the balls that are out there. My email is tjordan522@aol.com.

cliffjmp33
05-27-2014, 03:03 PM
Jake, I know this is going for sale later tonight so no worries if you can't access your database. Was looking to see if this was used in both home gays for the Rays or just Game 2. Thanks!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/MLB-2008-WORLD-SERIES-TAMPA-BAY-RAYS-HOME-PLATE-GAME-2-GAME-USED-AUTH-/161312369057?pt=US_Baseball_Fan_Shop&hash=item258ef769a1

yanks12025
05-27-2014, 03:12 PM
I love people who out on going auctions!

cliffjmp33
05-27-2014, 03:41 PM
I love people who out on going auctions!

Care to explain?

This is forum is for educating and I am asking for information to make an informed understanding. I have already bid on this and before I invest in doing more I want to see if it was used in one or two games.

PAC
05-27-2014, 04:37 PM
Interesting point about Team Merch People and their lack of appreciation.

Because of this at Coors Field this year, I was able to obtain a GU ball from the 2nd Home Game of the Season, which also happened to be the 1st Day that the Rockies used their 20th Anniversary Logo Balls. (Opening Day had Opening Day Logo Balls).

When I went to the booth in the 6th inning, they already had some GU Balls - including a Double by Will Venable.

That double happened to be the 1st HIT baseball of one of the new 20th Anniversary Balls - Venable was the 2nd batter in the 1st inning and ht the double after Garland struck out the Lead Off batter.

Garland signed the ball under the 20th Ann Logo and Venable signed the Sweet Spot for me the next day before the game.

I would have thought the Rockies might want it for their historical collection, but apparently nobody put 2 and 2 together on what the ball represented.

They sold it to you because you cared about it more than they, or anyone else, did. It's hilarious reading peoples' justification as to why their $10 leather ball is a "piece of history" and worth so much more than everyone else's $10 leather balls.

Just think about how fast the Rockies would run out of room in their stadium if they kept every "first" anything ball. It would be hundreds, if not thousands, of balls per year.

"That's Morneau's first foul ball in the 3rd inning against the Brewers on a partly cloudly Tuesday afternoon in June while wearing sunglasses this season. Better keep it for the team museum, it's a piece of history."

salukidave
05-31-2014, 10:29 AM
Jake, how did you come up with your totals? I'm assuming you had a hologram number for each game and then just plugged in numbers backward and forward of that one.

Also, does anyone know what year MLB Authentication began to be more description of the use of balls beyond merely using the generic "game-used."