PDA

View Full Version : Maple Bat 'Stress' Marking...

xpress34
08-14-2013, 05:48 PM
I'm hoping BMH can help here...

Since the new 'Maple Rules were adopted with the black 'stress' mark (the black dot that is supposed to indicate a bat may break/explode if the ink starts to run in the grain), does anyone know what the accepted 'tolerances' are (i.e. how far the ink can 'run') before a bat is supposed to be taken out of play?

I just picked up the bat Corey Dickerson (Rockies) broke in half last night while hitting a triple against the Padres. The ink is about 1/2" to 3/4" long and narrow... what got my attention is that the bat was just made on 7/25/2013, so it was only 19 days old when it broke.

Just wondering if the 'stress mark' should have been an indicator at that point that the bat may break - as is the point of putting it on the bats in the first place.

I'll post pics later when I get home.

- Smitty

CampWest
08-14-2013, 06:07 PM
I don't know that stress is the right term. I think its a "slope of grain" test.

plain english
http://www.b45online.com/inkspot.html

engineering doctorate
http://www.fpl.fs.fed.us/documnts/pdf2010/fpl_2010_kretschmann001.pdf

CampWest
08-14-2013, 06:09 PM
another good source...

http://woodbat.org/

xpress34
08-14-2013, 11:46 PM
Wes -

Thanks for the scientific terms, but it does nothing to answer my question.

- Smitty

CampWest
08-15-2013, 09:18 AM
Okay, I'll be more direct. I believe the answer to your question is "No".

My previous posts actually do answer your question. The links explain what the dot is supposed to indicate and how it is supposed to be used. In other words, my apologies but your question does not seem to correlate to the purpose of the dot as explained within the reference materials.

I've not seen any mention in any articles, nor have I ever heard about the ink running as an indicator of undue stress meaning that a break is imminent. Hence, I supplied the resources that I believe explain what the dot is designed for.

The purpose of the dot is to show the angle of the grain as there is a tolerance of under 3 degrees for MLB usage.

Anyhow, I'll shut up now and leave you alone. If the size of the dot or the amount of run in the ink means anything, I'm sure if somebody knows they'll educate us.

Sorry for wasting your time.

xpress34
08-15-2013, 10:54 AM
Wes -

Wow.

1st off, I thanked you for the information. Sorry you felt I was dismissing you, that wasn't my intent, but obviously I must have offended you with the snarky wording in your last post.

2nd, it did NOT answer my question - maybe I didn't word in a way that made sense to you or others, so i will repose it now with a bit more background info.

Just before leaving working for Rawlings, the whole Maple Bat testing was beginning.

When they originally talked about the Ink Dot, my understanding - besides it showing the 'slope of the grain' - was that if it began to 'run' the grain or enlarge, the bat should be taken out of play as it may become a danger to use because it would indicate possible seperation in the grain.

It was also my understanding that, like staining wood, it may sometimes take days or longer for the Ink Dot to fully absorb into the wood and show the true 'slope of the grain' because it is more like a wet dye or stain rather than 'ink'.

That being said, the fact that the bat broke just 19 days after manufacture and the fact that the Ink Dot was elongated (most all I have seen still somewhat resemble a 'dot') has me wondering whether or not it should have been noticed and whether the bat should have been taken out of play before Corey used it.

CampWest
08-15-2013, 11:12 AM
Wes -

Sorry you felt I was dismissing you, that wasn't my intent, but obviously I must have offended you with the snarky wording in your last post.

No worries, we're all good buddy. :D I'm feeling a little sassier and sarcastic than normal today. :o That tongue in cheek attitude doesnt always come through in written form. I should be better about adding :p ;) :rolleyes: :cool:

I'd love to hear something definitive on ink running... always looking to learn something new.

xpress34
08-15-2013, 11:18 AM
Pics attached.

I've never had a bat with an Ink Dot that is this elongated on it. It's always been closer to still being a dot.

xpress34
08-15-2013, 12:48 PM
Here's a link to MLB video of the bat being broken:

Dickerson triple on broken bat (http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20130814&content_id=56971276&notebook_id=56971844&vkey=notebook_col&c_id=col)

It's gotten a bit of coverage from the Rockies and MLB for how far he drove the ball after breaking his bat in half...

- Smitty