PDA

View Full Version : Babe Ruth bat

shelf446
11-23-2006, 12:54 PM
I have what is potentially a Babe Ruth game used bat, well that is the story I got. The bat has been in my family for years but I am a little suspicious. I have decided to do some research and I was wondering if anyone could give me any information. I don't have any pictures to post, but I can try to describe it. The length and weight are consistent with what I have found in my research, it is an H&B 125, and it looks very similar to the pictures I have seen of authentic Ruth bats. The only thing that concerns me is the finish is in prestine condition and looks a little too good to be 80 years old or so. If anyone has any information about Ruth bats in general I would greatly appreciate it.

MSpecht
11-23-2006, 04:19 PM
Hi--

If you can provide a bit more information Jim or I may be able to help...

Specifically --

1. What does the center label say, and what is written beneath it
2. sane for the barrel label
3. what is the exact length, and the weight as you can best determine
4. are their any stamped letters, numbers, etc on the knob

Thanks.

Mike Jackitout7@aol.com

shelf446
11-23-2006, 09:33 PM
Thanks for your help. The center label says:
Louisville Slugger
Hillerich & Bradsby Co (the o in Co is about half the size of the C)
Made in the U.S.A.
Louisville, KY
Trade Mark Reg. U.S. Pat. Off.

The barrel label says:
Trade Mark
George “Babe” Ruth
Reg. U.S. Pat. Off.

The exact length is 35 1//2 inches and as for the exact weight I am guessing it is around 40 ounces. I played baseball all through college with metal and wood bats and it is the heaviest bat I have ever held. And there is nothing stamped on the knob. It looks to me that there are a few ball marks on the barrel consistent with hitting with the labels down. There are no cleat marks that I can find, and like I said in my first post the finish is in great shape, very shiny and a tanish color. If pictures will help I can post them at the beginning of next week. Thanks again for your help!

MSpecht
11-24-2006, 11:23 AM
Thanks for the info. Please post the pics when you are able.

In the meantime, both the length of the bat and the weight of the bat fall within the known ranges of Ruth's DOCUMENTED orders of H & B bats. Lengths range from 34.5 inches (1932 indexed) to 36 inches (inedexed in 1923 and earlier in his career.) Weights range from 34 ounces (a one time order in 1932) to 47 ounces (one order in 1920.). In general, the lengths most commonly documented are 35 and 36 inches -- 35.5 inch lengths are documented in 1927.) Weights, again generally speaking, are in the 40 to 47 ounce range through the mid-to-late 1920s, then are most frequently documented in the 36 toto 38 ounce range through the 1930s.

Two additional questions before seeing the pics--
1. Is there any stamping/labeling between the center label and the barrel
label?
2. In the center label, does the bottom of the 'o' in 'Co' reach the bottom arm of the letter 'C' ?

Thanks.

Mike Jackitout7@aol.com

shelf446
11-24-2006, 03:26 PM
There is no stamping or anything in between the center label or the barrel label and the 'o' coes no reach the bottom arm of the 'c'.

thanks again,

bob

ghostkid
11-26-2006, 05:05 PM
Bob,

Pictures of the center brand will tell the whole story, but this sounds like a more recent replica bat. The vintage 1920's bats had the O in Co reach all the way to the bottom arm of the C, while the recent replica bats had a smaller/rounder O. I think that's why Mike asked the question. I'm assuming he's away for the weekend, but I'm sure he'll jump in with his opinion after pictures are posted.

Kevin

shelf446
11-29-2006, 05:43 PM
Sorry for the delay. Here are the pics:

BoneRubbedBat
11-29-2006, 09:41 PM
The bat is gorgeous, but is a post-1960 reproduction bat. The size/font and placement of the 125 in the centerbrand did not start until the 1961-64 era of labeling.

shelf446
11-30-2006, 08:17 AM
Thats what I figured. And it is in perfect condition. Is there any value to this bat or is it just a great collectible?

MSpecht
11-30-2006, 11:35 AM
Hi Bob--

Thanks for the photo of this bat. I agree with Marcus, the bat is a replica or reproduction bat manufactured well after Ruth's death. The value of such bats generally falls in the $500 range, however given the condition and aesthetics of your bat, I would add a few hundred dollars to that estimate, especially if the length falls within the range of Ruth's known professional preferences of between 34.5 inches to 36 inches.

Good Luck

Mike Jackitout7@aol.com (Jackitout7@aol.com)

shelf446
11-30-2006, 12:23 PM
Mike -

Thanks for all of your help, I really appreciate it. I will definitely be a regular member on this forum.

Thanks again,

Bob