PDA

View Full Version : How accurate are pinstripe photomatches?

Jim65
08-11-2013, 05:02 PM
I have been trying to photomatch a jersey for quite a while and might have accomplished it recently. I photomatched a jersey strctly by how the lettering and patches line up with pinstripes.

My question is, if everything lines up perfectly and year and style are matches, is that enough say it is a photomatch?

Phil316
08-11-2013, 05:27 PM
I have been trying to photomatch a jersey for quite a while and might have accomplished it recently. I photomatched a jersey strctly by how the lettering and patches line up with pinstripes.

My question is, if everything lines up perfectly and year and style are matches, is that enough say it is a photomatch?

I think you are gonna get a mixed bag of opinions.

Check out this thread from 2007

http://www.gameuseduniverse.com/vb_forum/archive/index.php/t-10230.html

Puig66
08-13-2013, 11:14 AM

Do you have a shot of the shoulder area to compare? If the stripes match at the shoulder area, and everything lines up in the front as you say, then I'd say you're there.

The chances of BOTH shoulders matching in regards to the pinstripes along with the front would indicate a positive photo match. What I always do is then work it backwards. Try to find something, anything, that would prove it NOT to be a photo-match. If you can't find anything, then congrats, you photo-matched your jersey.

Bram

CampWest
08-13-2013, 11:20 AM
I once was working on a pinstripe match of a Lance Berkman Astros jersey. The name and letters on the back all lined up correctly. The lines on the shoulder seam lined up correctly. The "As" on the front lined up. But the letters and the "tros" on the front were way off.

I've seen people call a match based on one or two pinstripes, I'm hesitant on pinstripes unless I can match most/all of the jersey. One or two stripes may just be coincedence.

Jim65
08-14-2013, 11:15 AM
Thanks for the responses.

The jersey is an '80s Mets jersey so the shoulders have racing stripes. I did find a pic of the player with his arm up, all the pinstripes in the armpit line up perfectly so its looking much better.

commando
08-14-2013, 04:57 PM
For some reason, the pinstripes on Orlando Magic jerseys from the early to mid-1990s were very consistent with the way their pinstripes aligned with the front numbers and team name. This makes it very easy (and defeats the purpose) of thinking that you just "photo matched" your Shaq jersey.

Otherwise, especially on older shirts, a multi-point photomatch (four or more solid points) will usually do the trick if the jersey hasn't been restored.