PDA

View Full Version : TV Sports Memorabilia Programme

Claymore
07-24-2013, 09:08 PM
I dont know if one has been done before but since there are so many programmes right now about Pickers, Pawn stars Auction Hunters etc etc...

do you think they will/can make a programme dedicated to sports memorabilia ?

maybe following people looking for game used items all over the country who are following leads or stories to where game used items ended up ?

or interviewing ex players who have still got some of their game used items ?

maybe visiting collectors who can show off their stuff and give stories of where they got them ?

or even visiting auctions where there are sports memorabilia for sale and giving details of the items ?

i was just wondering as i do watch Pawn Stars and the Auction programmes and sometimes sports memorabilia come up in them and its great to find out the story behind the item !!

i did read a story about a football that was thrown into the crowd after a touchdown in one of the Raiders Super Bowl wins ended up in a bar in Buffallo ( or something like that ) and it would be great to find out if that was true !!

so do you think a programme like this could be made ?

or if it has then just ignore all this !! :p

Nnunnari
07-24-2013, 09:58 PM
Go to greyflannel.com, they made a show called All-Star Dealers. A somewhat contrived version of the auction process.

trsent
07-24-2013, 10:03 PM
You mean like this show?

http://www.apieceofthegame.tv/

commando
07-25-2013, 10:25 AM
ABC aired a show last year called "Ball Boys," from the producers of Pawn Stars. It was NOT GOOD.

godwulf
07-25-2013, 03:15 PM
The problem, as I see it, with virtually all of these "reality" shows is that they're absolutely centered and focused on conflict and hostility between the participants. I've watched a number of episodes of 'Storage Wars', for example, and while it's interesting to see what the bidders find in those lockers, the show is usually at least 60% how much the bidders dislike each other, who is being a jerk or an idiot, how badly is the wife going to nag the husband for spending too much...bleh.

It gets so bad that, in one episode, the smug guy with all the money, the one who's always wearing the coveralls uniform, drops a box of valuable ceramic objects as he's getting out of his truck to have them appraised, and I found myself being happy about it. That's just messed up.

The exception is a show that I used to watch - don't even know if it's on any more - about these folks going around getting people to consign for auction pieces of entertainment memorabilia...like an actual shuttle craft used on Star Trek, or the car from Chitty-Chitty-Bang-Bang, or costumes worn by Irish McCalla in the '50s Sheena t.v. show. Great stuff.

Where I think a sports memorabilia show might go wrong is if it attempted to incorporate the "conflict and hostility" model. (Maybe O.J. could host it, when he finally gets paroled.) Sure, fans and collectors, like we are, would love to just see other collectors, or players, talking about their stuff and showing it off, but would a show like that be likely to pull in the ratings necessary to keep it on the air? Honestly, I have my doubts. I suspect that we have all, at one time or another, encountered somebody - a dealer, a private seller, another collector - who was a complete arse or headcase, and I'm just afraid that a t.v. producer, intent on making a show that would pull in a big audience, would be turning the program over to folks like that - giving the entire hobby a black eye.