PDA

View Full Version : Who is the best at grading GU Jerseys?

brianborsch
11-21-2006, 03:05 AM
Does it even exist? If so who does the best, most thorough work? Is it even worth it?

richpick
11-22-2006, 03:16 PM
It depends what you want to do with the jersey? I think if you are not sure if the jersey is authentic then asking a third party their opinion is a plus for your piece of mind. But, as you have read in many threads on this site that they also get it wrong and just because they will not write a letter on a jersey does not mean it is not genuine. If you are thinking of selling the jersey I am not sure about this but I believe jerseys which are authenticated do bring a higher dollar at auction (but that is my opinion) it seems that many collectors think that a COA guarantees authenticity (I think this is a fallacy). I think today collectors can do much of the research themselves and save the money these companies charge to authenticate.

kilroy20
11-22-2006, 09:51 PM
One of the first to grade jerseys was Dave Miedema. Grey Flannel was also one of the first. Now there are at least ten others out there who do it. Dave Bushing and Dan Knoll are also a couple of men you can trust in the hobby.

flaco1801
11-23-2006, 12:15 PM
in the early days of collecting game worn shirts,meidema was the author of "off my back". a great column in scd. i think i saved most of them. it was rather easy in those days. dave would inform his readers what manufacturers made shirts for specific teams. home wilson, road rawlings for certain years. ahhh the good ole days. the shirts had name in collar (or tail) size and set numbers(usually). many teams didnt use name on backs. hartell, ball 4 sports, sports warehouse, and kim stigall were the dealers you trusted and never worried about. back then you could buy commons, with game wear and i mean tattered from use,for 40 bucks. numbers were changed and names on back removed, but what the heck, i wore them and loved em. some teams were impossible to find, yanks and blue jays comes to mind. remember back then there was no internet and finding players by numbers was a task. you bought a common and you never knew who ever wore it, to this day i have a few i dont think ill ever really know. one nice find i have is a common pirates shirt from 84,number 52, turns out years later i find a roster and it was bobby bonillas first jersey before he was exposed to the rule 5 draft. im greatful for finding the hobby in its infancy, maybe ill call today thanksgiving. have a wondeful holiday, enjoy your family, and dont forget all you should be greatful for. sincerely, jeff