PDA

View Full Version : George Brett Jersey authentic?

kentuckychrome
07-16-2013, 10:39 AM
Just purchased a 1989 "set 1" George Brett jersey from eBay. The lister never put that the jersey was game used, and I thought I may have found a gem. I've done a bit of research on it since the purchase, and it looks like it was a bit too good to be true. I'd love some opinions/experiences back from other folks on here, but it looks to me like a 1990 jersey with a fake "set 1" tag dropped on there. I also compared another Brett jersey that went up to auction and noticed that the numbering doesn't match.

Here's the auction listing with photos: http://www.ebay.com/itm/George-Brett-Kansas-City-Royals-Authentic-Rawlings-Jersey-Set-1-1989-5-Size-44-/281133182892?_trksid=p2047675.l2557&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEWNX%3AIT&nma=true&si=YrRakItp5%252BuWvCsIFADoVNkOq2c%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc

Anyone have any experiences like this with these sorts of jerseys, or have you seen tag jobs like this before?

Thanks in advance for the feedback!

CampWest
07-16-2013, 10:55 AM
Not game used in my opinion...

See #3 post in this thread, I'm not fully up on all the ScoreBoard jersey details, but this Brett matches the specs and the labeling of the Schmidt referenced in the initial post of the thread.

http://www.gameuseduniverse.com/vb_forum/showthread.php?t=56309

escaperoyals
07-16-2013, 12:26 PM
Sorry to have bad news, but I would assume this is a score jersey NOT game worn. Several things, The Royals didn't wear name plates in 1989, the year and manufacture tag is wrong, and the Font of BRETT is also wrong. Sorry
Dan

kentuckychrome
07-16-2013, 01:01 PM
For those of you who have a decent knowledge of the eBay legal system, do I have a case given that this was sold as an "authentic" jersey? I've been in contact with the seller and have asked for him to keep the jersey and refund the money, and that I'd be happy to reimburse the Paypal fees to him as a show of good faith and of it being somewhat on me for not researching the jersey closer before purchasing it. He is telling me that he never sold the jersey as "game worn" and he will not refund my money.

Any thoughts?

CampWest
07-16-2013, 01:18 PM
Not sure if you have much of a case, but you can always file a claim in the Resolution Center and see what happens. If you claim its not as described, you might win. "Authentic" generally does not mean game/team issued or game used, it just means its not a knock off. This is an authentic-ish game style jersey, so its not clear cut that it was incorrectly described. Still though, I think generally ebay sides with buyers, so you probably have a decent chance. You can always take a shot at it and see what happens, can't hurt anyways.

FYI, paypal fees automatically get refunded with the payment cancellation if he did that, plus seller can avoid closing fees if a cancel transaction request is approved. Probably no need to offer compensation to cancel.

kentuckychrome
07-16-2013, 01:37 PM
Gotcha. Thanks for the help, Wes!

Not sure if you have much of a case, but you can always file a claim in the Resolution Center and see what happens. If you claim its not as described, you might win. "Authentic" generally does not mean game/team issued or game used, it just means its not a knock off. This is an authentic-ish game style jersey, so its not clear cut that it was incorrectly described. Still though, I think generally ebay sides with buyers, so you probably have a decent chance. You can always take a shot at it and see what happens, can't hurt anyways.

FYI, paypal fees automatically get refunded with the payment cancellation if he did that, plus seller can avoid closing fees if a cancel transaction request is approved. Probably no need to offer compensation to cancel.

Phil316
07-16-2013, 01:52 PM
Seriously? You are gonna open a case? You fully admitted you did not do your homework before purchasing so how is that the sellers fault? As a ebay seller/buyer member since 1996 this is the kinda crap that needs to be stopped. Buyers having buyers remorse. I am gonna make sure and forward this to the seller so he can pass it along to ebay. Unbelievable.

sportscentury
07-16-2013, 02:20 PM
For those of you who have a decent knowledge of the eBay legal system, do I have a case given that this was sold as an "authentic" jersey? I've been in contact with the seller and have asked for him to keep the jersey and refund the money, and that I'd be happy to reimburse the Paypal fees to him as a show of good faith and of it being somewhat on me for not researching the jersey closer before purchasing it. He is telling me that he never sold the jersey as "game worn" and he will not refund my money.

Any thoughts?

You have no legitimate case but I did get a kick out of the term "eBay legal system."

kentuckychrome
07-16-2013, 02:22 PM
Wow. Dramatic much?
I never said I was opening a case. I was curious as to the authenticity of the jersey because I was sold something that claimed in the listing to be "authentic". I admit that I should've done more homework before purchasing, but the seller shouldn't have sold something as "authentic" if it's not genuine. The wording of it is a tricky thing, and I personally believe it to be misleading. Forward away all that you'd like to; I've been in communication with the seller and have stated things to him exactly the way I have here.

Seriously? You are gonna open a case? You fully admitted you did not do your homework before purchasing so how is that the sellers fault? As a ebay seller/buyer member since 1996 this is the kinda crap that needs to be stopped. Buyers having buyers remorse. I am gonna make sure and forward this to the seller so he can pass it along to ebay. Unbelievable.

kentuckychrome
07-16-2013, 02:29 PM
I knew someone would call me out for not putting that one in quotes. :D

You have no legitimate case but I did get a kick out of the term "eBay legal system."

YanksGameUsed
07-16-2013, 02:39 PM
Wow. Dramatic much?
I never said I was opening a case. I was curious as to the authenticity of the jersey because I was sold something that claimed in the listing to be "authentic". I admit that I should've done more homework before purchasing, but the seller shouldn't have sold something as "authentic" if it's not genuine. The wording of it is a tricky thing, and I personally believe it to be misleading. Forward away all that you'd like to; I've been in communication with the seller and have stated things to him exactly the way I have here.

Don't listen to this guy Phil316. You should have done homework ahead of time but it is the sellers fault for not fully disclosing the origin of the jersey in question. On the flip side the seller may not know any better either.

File your case with Ebay and if the jersey comes in the mail simply reject it and get proof from ups, usps or fedex that you did not accept the package. It will be shipped back to the seller. Just remember to get all the tracking info for your case resolution.

If what escaperoyals said is correct about 1989 and the tag and name plate issues then its a no brainer in my opinion!!!

Try to find documentation of Royals jerseys in 1989 to help in building your case.

Good luck!!!

Hntm
07-16-2013, 03:16 PM
Gotta speak up on this one and back up Phil316. Encouraging a case against the seller, when the buyer readily accepts culpability, is grossly unethical. It is behavior like this that makes Ebay a dangerous place for the most honest sellers. Ebay has no backbone, so no matter what evidence is provided they will likely punish the seller and reward the buyer... Kudos to kentucky for being transparent enough to admit to deficient research.

mbrieve
07-16-2013, 03:23 PM
If I were the seller, I would refund your money and probably relist the item with a clearer description.

That being said, the jersey was not listed in the game used section and the description is in line with how the Royals team store even describes their retail jerseys (Kansas City Royals Authentic Billy Butler Home Cool Base Jersey):

http://shop.mlb.com/product/index.jsp?productId=11205526&cp=1452354.1452779.708159

I can't imagine you would buy the jersey above and then upon receiving and noticing it was not, in fact, game used try to return it because it wasn't as described. This is clearly negligence on your part and the seller shouldn't be punished for your mistake. Man up to your mistake.

rufusandherschel
07-16-2013, 03:36 PM
If I were the seller, I would refund your money and probably relist the item with a clearer description.

That being said, the jersey was not listed in the game used section and the description is in line with how the Royals team store even describes their retail jerseys (Kansas City Royals Authentic Billy Butler Home Cool Base Jersey):

http://shop.mlb.com/product/index.jsp?productId=11205526&cp=1452354.1452779.708159

I can't imagine you would buy the jersey above and then upon receiving and noticing it was not, in fact, game used try to return it because it wasn't as described. This is clearly negligence on your part and the seller shouldn't be punished for your mistake. Man up to your mistake.

"I can't imagine you would buy the jersey above and then upon receiving and noticing it was not, in fact, game used try to return it because it wasn't as described. This is clearly negligence on your part and the seller shouldn't be punished for your mistake. Man up to your mistake."

Well put. Couldn't agree with you more! http://www.gameuseduniverse.com/vb_forum/images/buttons/quote.gif (http://www.gameuseduniverse.com/vb_forum/newreply.php?do=newreply&p=329766)

kentuckychrome
07-16-2013, 04:38 PM
My issue with the "game used" aspect is completely null and void. He never stated that the jersey was game used in the listing, so I have no leg to stand on there. I saw a "set 1" tag and made the assumption, and that's all on me.

The issue that I'm bringing up is that the jersey is being billed as "authentic", when it isn't an authentic jersey. The numbering (and apparently the lettering on the back) are not authentic Kansas City Royals issue. I have a hard time giving credit to a seller calling a jersey "authentic" if the lettering/numbering isn't the proper standard team issue. I'm asking for opinions on the matter rather than diving into immediate eBay claims because I'm curious as to other collector's feelings about the issue.

sox83cubs84
07-16-2013, 04:47 PM
That jersey isn't even a Score Board jersey....the flag tag in the tail s a poor attempt at recreating the real thing, as the font is way off.

Dave Miedema

kentuckychrome
07-16-2013, 04:53 PM
I'm no expert on this by any means, but it looks like a 1990 Rawlings jersey that someone dropped a flag tag and numbers/nameplate on in an attempt to (somewhere along the line) sell as a game used jersey.

That jersey isn't even a Score Board jersey....the flag tag in the tail s a poor attempt at recreating the real thing, as the font is way off.

Dave Miedema

helf35
07-16-2013, 06:23 PM
If its been altered then the listing authentic is wrong. I'm not sure but I don't think any authentic jerseys have ever contained set numbers thus making this jersey fraudulent. Maybe I'm way off just my 2 cents.

sportsnbikes
07-16-2013, 09:00 PM
If I were the seller I'd refund. Who wants a negative feedback?