PDA

View Full Version : Nice player interaction

godwulf
07-15-2013, 02:14 PM
Had a nice experience last night, at an independent league game over in Goodyear, AZ. After the game, I was asking one of the players if I could snag the bat he'd cracked in the fifth, and he told me that he was going to try to fix it well enough to use for BP. (These guys are not getting paid too well, to put it mildly.)

I wished him good luck with that, and was walking away, when I heard, "Sir?...sir?" behind me. Eli Sonoqui, a Phoenix native and former Tampa Bay prospect, was offering me a black Louisville Slugger, and said, "Would you like a bat?" It turns out to have been a bat that was given to him by Alex Rios of the White Sox, in which Eli had put a small handle crack at some point in the game.

I usually don't even ask for cracked bats, at Fall League or minor league games, 'cause the kids and pretty young things are lined up even before the game ends...but I lucked out this time. Not a huge or "important" addition to my collection, or anything like that, but it made me feel good that a player wanted to make a fan happy and took the time to ask.