PDA

View Full Version : Type 1 Diabetes - raising funds through an auction

misteremu
07-09-2013, 11:48 AM
My son (who was 5 at the time), was diagnosed last November with Type 1 diabetes. This is a lifelong condition (until the cure is found). He requires numerous finger pokes and injections of insulin on a daily basis. We have to count every carb he eats. To see my son's story, go here:

http://www2.jdrf.org/site/TR?px=3237991&fr_id=2351&pg=personal

I was wondering if anyone has ever tried to do an auction to raise funds for a cause....if so, I would appreciate any suggestions on what has worked and what has not. I would like to organize a game used/sports memorabilia auction, but not sure where to start and where to obtain possible donations (I would be donating some items out of my personal collection).

Any feedback would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Eric

misteremu
07-09-2013, 11:49 AM
Click the #2 picture to see a video....

GameUsedGR61
07-09-2013, 12:13 PM
That cause is close to my heart. In addition to selling your memorabilia, have you thought about creating a fundraising site for the cause? i believe its free and i am sure members would love to donate to help you in anyway possible. you can spread the word about it via this site, other game used sites, and definitely through all forms of social media.

http://www.giveforward.com/

dre707
07-09-2013, 12:16 PM
I will be following this thread as me being a type 1 diabetic since I was 10 so I've been diabetic for almost 18 years I wish I had stuff to donate myself but this diabetes is expensive insulin test strips syringes all makes my game used expenses go bye bye :'( so I only get to purchase a few things here and there but good luck with raising $ towards a good cause :)

misteremu
07-09-2013, 12:32 PM
Thank you for the posts so far....yes, we do have a link where one can donate, it is in the original post...the donations go to JDRF (Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation), we are raising money for the annual walk in SE Michigan in September.

Dre707, I wish you luck with type 1...my son has handled it very well and it has not slowed him down a bit...I do a lot of research into potential cures and new treatments...I do think the cure is at most 10 years off but the artifical pancreas will be here in the next few years...

Enyouartist
07-11-2013, 10:35 PM
I may be able to help you. I am a professional artist, and could do a painting so we could make lithographs of an athlete and get them to sign the lithos. This could generate a lot of money for you. Now you just need the athlete!

maxdog
07-11-2013, 11:06 PM
I just made a donation on the website, and I would like to also donate some signed baseballs and other items when you have an auction.

Calstheman
07-16-2013, 11:03 AM
Having lived thru Diabetes all my life (grandmother, father, sister, wife, father-in-law), I would also be willing to donate some signed baseballs for your auction.
When you get everything set up please PM me thru this website and I will ship them to you.

Good Luck!!

Mike

misteremu
07-16-2013, 01:48 PM
Mike,

Thank you for reaching out to me...it says you are not set up to receive private PM's...

Eric

perlman9
07-17-2013, 05:14 AM
seems a lot of non-profits use biddingforgood,com which is a searchable auction site so has the potential to reach bidders for other auctions. I have not participated on the listing side but may be worth some research!

Calstheman
07-18-2013, 10:22 AM
Eric,

Think I corrected the PM issue. Try again.

Mike

misteremu
07-18-2013, 11:35 AM
Thank you to everyone so far...I will be in contact this evening assuming my kids let me have any "free" time!

misteremu
09-30-2013, 01:15 PM
To all:

I just wanted to thank all of you who donated to our team and/or who offered to send me items for an auction. Due to time constraints and my lack of previous knowlege of hosting an auction, I decided to forego an auction this year. We were able to raise over $6,800 however in order to find a cure and improve the treatments for persons living with type 1 diabetes. Our local JDRF walk took place yesterday morning, and we actaully did a live interview with our family on the local NBC affiliate.

For those of you who are familiar with type 1 diabetes, controlling your blood sugar levels can be difficult. My 6 year old son just got his continuos gluccose monitor (CGM) last week and it has already made a big difference in understanding what his sugar levels are doing (and it reduces the number of finger pokes each day). The CGM is one of the outcomes that has come to fruit because of support of JDRF.

Next year we are going to plan a wine tasting/silent auction to help raise funds for JDRF.

There is still time to donate if you would like to....everly little bit helps!

http://www2.jdrf.org/site/TR/Walk-MI/Chapter-MichiganNWOhioWalks4517?pg=team&fr_id=2351&team_id=84279

Thanks,

Eric