PDA

View Full Version : Buying a Bat without Tape Job?

MercyMe78
07-08-2013, 03:12 AM
Since I'm a bit new to this hobby... would anyone buy what is advertised as a game used bat from a player that doesn't have a tape job when about all the other bats you see include one?

Are there occasions where the tape is removed just to see if there is a crack in the bat?

sportsnbikes
07-08-2013, 04:26 AM
I personally wouldn't. Chances are the bat was used by a different player or maybe it is a BP bat. If you can't or don't see any tape on any other bats ever, then I'd steer clear. If you see some pictures with and some without maybe there is hope.

YanksGameUsed
07-08-2013, 10:22 AM
Since I'm a bit new to this hobby... would anyone buy what is advertised as a game used bat from a player that doesn't have a tape job when about all the other bats you see include one?

Are there occasions where the tape is removed just to see if there is a crack in the bat?

Who is the player? Ive seen players switch between tape and mota stick depending on when they used a bat during their career.

You could always send a photo of the bat to John Taube john@gameusedbats.com

Im not saying John will respond right away but he will tell you if its worth getting authenticated. Just explain you would like to send it in and if he thinks that its a good idea.

MercyMe78
07-08-2013, 11:42 AM
Thanks for the responses so far. I'm hesitant on the bat as there doesn't seem to be a tape job (player is Hunter Pence) and the bat would have been from last year. Also there is no number written on the cupped end (not sure if that is consistent or not)

They did note that there is a crack at the handle so wondering if they remove tape to check crack?

joelsabi
07-08-2013, 12:22 PM
imho, if a player normally has tape job on the handle as a player characteristic that is one characteristic I would definitely want on a bat I collect of his.
remnants of a tape job removal would be a deal breaker for me but all collectors are different.

If you are trying to add variety to your Pence bat collection then reseaching the bat labelling period would point you the time period that said bat was used and then you can search for photos of him using the style bat you are thinking of purchasing. without photographic evidence of it being something he would use in an acual game, i would pass.

As mentioned, try to forumulate the batter characterisits of Hunter Pence before buying one of his bats as his bats are not cheap. If you want a bat that represents a certain period of his career (ie. as a Astro, as a Giant), look at photos and his baseball cards from that time period. The research will be invaluable towards a future Pence bat purchase. This would be my approach of the situation. Good luck.

AstrosGU
07-08-2013, 04:05 PM
If it's the Hunter Pence Dinger bat on eBay I would stay away. A couple years ago I remember Dinger selling off some extra Pence bats they had made. They were "blem" bats, as the length or weight was a little off. I know some of these were also sent to some minor leaguers.

I would stay away from that one and get you one that shows good Pence characteristics.

MercyMe78
07-08-2013, 05:14 PM
Thanks for the input.. it's actually the following:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/261241080981?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

Probably going to stay away from it as it doesn't look like any other bats I've seen used by Pence.. bummer..

metsbats
07-08-2013, 05:20 PM
If it's the Hunter Pence Dinger bat on eBay I would stay away. A couple years ago I remember Dinger selling off some extra Pence bats they had made. They were "blem" bats, as the length or weight was a little off. I know some of these were also sent to some minor leaguers.

I would stay away from that one and get you one that shows good Pence characteristics.

Which one? There are 7 Pence Dingers on ebay right now:eek: