PDA

View Full Version : Getting a Game Used Bat graded. Should I choose MEARS or PSA?

carbonrosa
07-07-2013, 10:43 PM
Hi everyone. I'm going to get my Harper bat graded. The same one mentioned here on the forum and wanted to get opinions on choosing MEARS or PSA and WHY. Both bats I own (2010 GU Jeter & 2002 GU Pujols) were already graded by MEARS before I bought them. I was going to just stick with MEARS but really wanted to see what everyone's thoughts were on the matter from credability to pricing between the two. The little research I have done brought up no real negatives about MEARS but no real dominance in being the leader in grading and with PSA it's obvious they've worked hard to put themselves at the top, though I've read great stories but also some really negative ones as well so I don't know. Give me your in site.

-Devin

Enyouartist
07-07-2013, 10:52 PM
Hey Devin, I'm a big fan of PSA and believe they are the industry leaders for game-used bats. I would certainly recommend John Taube to you. By the way, I tried to PM you, but it wouldn't allow me for some reason. You can contact me at enyouartist@yahoo.com

camarokids
07-08-2013, 12:11 AM
Why bother? If you are going to collect bats. You need to learn to authenticate the bats yourself.

Save yourself some money!

MLB~NUT
07-08-2013, 03:12 AM
Why bother? If you are going to collect bats. You need to learn to authenticate the bats yourself.

Save yourself some money!

Agreed, Nothing beats a TRUE photomatch, or mlb authenticated bat...:cool:

sportsnbikes
07-08-2013, 04:51 AM
I agree that a photo match is strong. You would think that with all the press on Harper that there would be plenty of pictures of him with that bat.

I'm sure you already combed through all the pics from WASH - ATL games last year. If not, that's where I'd start.

kellsox
07-08-2013, 07:46 AM
Don't understand why anyone would give someone $ to authenticated a bat from the last few years. All of the photographs and information is out there for you to get on your own. Do you really think an authenticator is an "expert " on Harper bats more so than anyone with Internet access?

NeonStatus
07-08-2013, 09:10 PM
Like the others mentioned, save your money and match it yourself. You can use the extra money towards a nice bat display.

maverick14
07-08-2013, 09:20 PM
If you're not going to sell it than no reason to get it graded I would think.
However, if you're looking to move it, particularly at auction please realize that you get a discounted rate from auction houses since they deal in bulk with authenticators.
As per the original question, I'd prefer PSA when it comes to game-used items, as I feel they have the leading authorities in the field when it comes to GU items.