PDA

View Full Version : What percent of your collection has gone up in value?

jake33
07-01-2013, 11:31 AM
Just curious on what the response is to this....

Of all the game used items that you have bought that are used from 2005 or later, what percentage of your purchases would you say have increased in value or that you would be able to get your money back on? I am not asking for specific items, but just overall point of view on the value of your 2005-20013 (newer GU items).

NOTE: If you got a amazing price on a game used piece that was worth $400 and you paid $10 for it, but it went down in value from $400 and you actually would/could sell it for $200, that would still be profitable. So include items you got well below market value that you are pretty sure you could at least get your money back on.

Also, just think of item used roughly in 2005-2013. This would not be an item that you bought 2005, but was game used back in 1976. Just modern era GU items.

------
Personally, I would say maybe 35-40% of all my 2005 or later game used items are items that I would be able to get my money back on. Especially items I won on NFL or MLB auctions. There is very little chance that I could get back those costs. I would say of the MLB auction items I have resold, maybe 15-20% of them I could get my money back on.

I still wish main stream sports fans understood that MLB and NFL auctions are almsot exclusively not investments, the leagues are capitalizing on "in the moment" popularity of a team, player, or event.

Actually, as many of you know the best time to get GU from MLB or NFL auctions is in the offseason. Those auctions in general go a lot cheaper during their offseasons. I would actually say the same for ebay many times. Baseball items in November -January are a great time to buy if possible. And NFL items I would say Mach - Mid July also is a great time to find deals(for current players not new draft picks).
------

xpress34
07-01-2013, 11:42 AM
I still wish main stream sports fans understood that MLB and NFL auctions are almsot exclusively not investments, the leagues are capitalizing on "in the moment" popularity of a team, player, or event.

Jake -

I just wanted to post an example of this I came across yesterday at Coors Field.

Rockies Authentics had 2 Cargo bats for sale - one was $250, the other was $350. Why the $100 price difference?

Because the $350 bat was cracked by a pitch from Stephen Strasburg.

Really? Now teams and MLB are going to 'upgrade' pricing based on who threw the pitch that broke the bat?

Just my .02

- Smitty

Phil316
07-01-2013, 12:27 PM
For the most part my collection has gone up. I do think collecting is at a point where if you want a return on an investment do not invest in common players.

Mattapan03
07-01-2013, 01:09 PM
I would probably say that most of my collection has gone down. However, I don't plan on moving many of the items in my personal collection so it doesn't really bother me.

There are a few pieces I regret buying at some prices, but that's the way this hobby goes.

woody1351
07-01-2013, 04:11 PM
I would say most of my collection i could breakout of and not lose any money. Some i will lose a little on but i knew that when i bought them, but when i collect players with not many players out there i have to over pay if i want it. i have a few that have gone up in value by a decent amount.

bravesfanjd
07-01-2013, 05:10 PM
I could definitely sell my Signed Chipper Jones retirement logo game used batting glove for profit especially since to get him to sign anything at the national that is game used it is $300 and I paid less for the glove which was already signed and marked GU by him. The Francoeur stuff I bought from the Royals I could never get back my money on but I bought those for personal reasons knowing I would never make money on them.

I have talked to many dealers and they always tell me never buy an item hoping to make money on it only buy what you collect because most times you never will make money reselling memorabilia

Oriolesfan29
07-01-2013, 08:16 PM
My best pieces that I could probably make a decent amount on if I wanted to sell them are a game used base MLB authenticated from Chris Davis' 3 home run game last year that I got him to sign and inscribe game used 3 home run game 8/24/12. Paid $250 for the base and $100 for the auto, but it is JSA certified. Also bought a MLB authenticated Manny Machado nameplate from his first ever opening day for $60.

coxfan
07-02-2013, 04:08 PM
Since MLB clubs and players are increasing the quantity of g-u stuff available, prices aren't necessarily guaranteed to go up over time. One example to the contrary was the Roger Maris baseball card, with his 61 HR's on it, I bought for one cent in 1962. (No, it's not for sale.)

A curious aside: In the old Soviet Union, items couldn't legally go up in value! In the 1920's, people were imprisoned there for selling things for more than they paid for them. That was called "speculation" which they considered to be incipient capitalism even for small prices.

Misha
07-02-2013, 08:39 PM
to get him to sign anything at the national that is game used it is $300

Wow! I've been off the scene for 20+ years, is that what signing costs now!!?? I went to a show in 1990 and Reggie Jackson signed my GU Angels jersey AND GU bat for a total of $28 lol!

mad87man
07-03-2013, 02:35 PM
sadly i collect only Jets stuff and most of it has declines heavily in value. Even from last year to this year stuff is selling at a 1/3 of what it used to. The Jets market has been over flooded.

paul457
07-03-2013, 05:23 PM
I think most of us want to believe our GU possessions are increasing in value, but try selling them and making a profit. Following the 80/20 rule, I'd bet 80% of your stuff falls into the break even or loss category. Not trying to be a rain cloud, but I've seen it as I move stuff to make room for other things in my collection.

I see a lot of parallels between this hobby and card collecting - if you wait long enough, you can get today's hot item for about half the price if you wait it out a season. Not saying there aren't some exceptions...

Forget about future value if you want to enjoy the hobby, and collect what makes you happy.