PDA

View Full Version : 1983-85 Chicago White Sox Jersey Tagging

R. C. Walker
12-14-2005, 01:27 PM
A couple questions regarding the 1983-1985 era Medalist Sand-Knit Chicago White Sox jersey tagging.

1) Were all tail taggings (as an example) 83 * 42 SMITH for Year Size Player? Are there other variations?

2) Why were some, on the name portion, done with marker? Are those possibly a second or third set?

Thanks in advance for the info.

RobSteinmetz
12-14-2005, 02:12 PM
R.C.,

Attached are photos of the tagging on my '83 road Carlton Fisk White Sox jersey. I haven't seen other variations of this style of printed tagging, but I am familiar with the names written in marker that you make reference to. It is my belief that the tagging with hand-written names were jerseys that were made up for players during the season (because they were late season call-ups, because a jersey was stolen, or because they needed a new shirt for some other reason). This is just an educated guess on my part, so it's possible there is more to the story.

Rob Steinmetz
www.authenticgamers.com (http://www.authenticgamers.com)

http://img229.imageshack.us/img229/3268/picture0010zc.jpg

trsent
12-14-2005, 02:38 PM
Did you know that the 1983 Chicago White Sox are the reason why my father and I are no longer all that close?

Game 4 ALDC at Comiskey, White Sox down 2-0 in the 10th, Dad decided that we should leave and beat the traffic, even though we took the elevated train.

Needless to say, even though they lost, I wanted to be there if they had pulled off the comeback, and I never forgave him for this.

Funny, after the baseball strike 10 years later, I started leaving games in the 4-6th innings. Now, last year I did attend one live game, in Anaheim, CA and I got there 2 hours early and I stayed to shed tears of joy as I watched the White Sox celebrate their first appearance in the Fall Classic since 1959, but that was the first time since the last strike that I attended a full game.

baltos
12-14-2005, 07:39 PM

Here is a small variation on a 1983 road jersey (no star)

and the 1985 road with two separate strips. I have seen both stars and common players in this format.

R. C. Walker
12-15-2005, 05:18 PM
Thank you Baltos & Rob!

Exactly the info I was looking for.