PDA

View Full Version : Game Issued/Game Used Scenario

GameUsedGR61
06-28-2013, 11:23 AM
I know this issue has been discussed numerous times, but I wanted to present a scenario that I am faced with and wanted everyone's opinion. If you had a choice to purchase one of these two items, which would you choose and why? I made the situation general so that it can relate to any sport

1) Game Issued/Match Prepared jersey of your favorite player ever (keeping in mind that finding an actual game used of this player is rare and if it was found, it might be 4 figures)

or

2) Game Worn jersey of a player you like but isnt in your top 10 of favorite players

slab0meat
06-28-2013, 12:01 PM
Price difference?

GameUsedGR61
06-28-2013, 12:24 PM
The game worn item is about 300 dollars more than the match prepared one. I was not concerned too much about the price, but more with who the jersey belonged to

I wasnt sure if it getting a game issued item of a player whose game used jerseys are rare and expensive would be worth getting

cliffjmp33
06-28-2013, 02:08 PM
My initial thought is if it's your favorite players vs. a guy you like, but not invested in, you'll probably kick yourself down the road for not adding something of your favorite player in the long run.

YanksGameUsed
06-28-2013, 02:23 PM
The game worn item is about 300 dollars more than the match prepared one. I was not concerned too much about the price, but more with who the jersey belonged to

I wasnt sure if it getting a game issued item of a player whose game used jerseys are rare and expensive would be worth getting

In my opinion if you are just buying a GU jersey of someone you like just to get one then I would save my pennies for a GU of who you really want.

Sometimes by waiting and saving you money you find a better GU piece!!!

beaglegypsy003
06-28-2013, 09:39 PM
I bought a Denver Broncos orange crush team issued/ready jersey of a player I wanted since he had retired and I wasn't sure if I would be able to find a game-used one. I was finally able to trade for one (new style) and also found the player's game jersey from another team on NFL Auctions. I'm happy to have all three jerseys in my collection. In fact, the issued jersey is what I have on display because it looks so cool.

solarlottry
06-28-2013, 10:39 PM
I try not to buy game issued jerseys but there are instances where I would consider it. If I found a GI jersey of one of my favorite players or of a player whose game worn jersey was extremely hard to find then I would consider purchasing a GI shirt of said player.

If a GI jersey of a player who only played in a handful of games in a season and the likelihood of finding one of those jerseys was low, then I would consider buying a GI jersey of that player. There is a jersey I am considering buying currently that fits the above description but I cannot put a reasonable price on it.

I think coming up with a reasonable price for GI items is difficult at times plus the resale of such items can be difficult. These are some of the reasons I do not add many GI items unless a GU jersey is near impossible to acquire.

Always buying 49er gamers especially Steve Young jerseys and vintage gamers.

Paul
garciajones@yahoo.com

jppopma
06-28-2013, 10:48 PM
As a player collector, I would rather have the GI jersey of one of my favorite players. At least it has meaning to you compared to just another gamer that you have sitting around.

metsbats
06-29-2013, 11:20 AM
In some cases you don' t have a choice because of the rarity of a game used item or a game used item is just not simply available for that particular year. I collect Ed Hearn gamers and have two jerseys which were game issued. Both years he didn't play with the Mets. One is an 85 home pinstripe jersey and the other is an 87 Road jersey.

In your case a game issued jersey may be a good alternative to a game used since a game used would cost you 4 figures.