PDA

View Full Version : Certified Mears Dist./verifiable Provenance

PAT HODGINS
11-18-2006, 07:42 AM
While searching ebay I came across the following auction:http://cgi.ebay.com/2004-TRAVIS-HAFNER-GAME-USED-JERSEY-MEARS-A10-COA_W0QQitemZ250050793373QQihZ015QQcategoryZ60597Q QrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

First, former board member TRSENT claims to be a "CERTIFIED MEARS DISTRIBUTOR". Since MEARS doesn't produce or sell anything, how can Joel be a distributor??

Seond, this jersey received a rating of A10. According to MEARS website, provenance must be both credible AND verifiable. How can a cert with no date, player name or item be verifiable?

33bird
11-18-2006, 09:31 AM
I like how he uses the "impeccable source" thing too. Sounds like Grey Flannel. Why even put that unless you can tell us who that "impeccable source" is? It means nothing to nobody.
Greg

nate
11-18-2006, 01:40 PM
Impeccable source = The Cleveland Indians.

weimerskirch
11-18-2006, 02:08 PM
Pat,

I have dealt with MEARS on numerous occasions and I have never heard of a MEARS certified distributor program. I have also not seen anything on the website that discusses this. You could send Joel and email and ask him what this is all about or contact Dave Grob, Troy or Dave Bushing at MEARS.

I will send an email to Troy and ask him what about this program.

Mark

sportscentury
11-18-2006, 06:56 PM
Guys,

I have always found Joel to be very accessible. In addition to contacting Troy (which I think makes good sense), one of you may want to email him at joel@alpert.net and ask him for clarification. While Joel is not posting on GUF any longer, it does not mean he has taken to hiding with Lou.

Reid

rose14
11-21-2006, 04:46 PM
Why is Joel no longer posting on here?

weimerskirch
11-24-2006, 04:57 PM
Posters,

Here is Troy's response at MEARS in reference to Joel being a certified MEARS distributor...

MEARS and new frontiers

November 19 2006 at 6:22 PM Troy R. Kinunen (kinunent@hotmail.com) Troy R. Kinunen (Login TroyKinunen (http://www.network54.com/Profile/TroyKinunen))This post is about clarifying and answering questions about being called a MEARS Certified Distributor. First of all there is no such program as any distributorship would imply that any such individual or organization would be authorized do MEARS work or handle the MEARS Line. There will be nobody doing work for MEARS other than MEARS and MEARS has no line.

That being said, what Joel is referring to is a concept we are looking at for 2007. This could be tied to possibly in some manner with our advertising program in which folks who advertise on MEARS would have to agree to a certain set of standards. For Joel, this may mean that he is only going to sell items that have been evaluated by MEARS. While we would naturally applaud this effort, this does not mean that we would withhold our services from anyone who does not create such a dynamic for themselves.

In addition to the concept of advertising on MEARS, we are also working through the functionality of hosting sales on our site very similar to what John Taube does with items on his site. As with items that are consigned at auction, any item sold on the MEARS site that ANY member of the MEARS organization sells will be done with full disclosure. We remain committed to this as we also remain the only organization who does this as a matter of policy.

Finally with respect to changes in 2007, we will also be looking to refine and clarify any number of terms and definitions. This is not in reaction to any one particular incident, but rather what have done and will continue to do all along. Remember, any number of things that MEARS introduced from the beginning where in response to what we heard from collectors.

Sincerely,

Troy R. Kinunen

weimerskirch
11-24-2006, 05:04 PM
Posters,

Here is Joel's response to Troy posting on the MEARS website. Notice, Joel has now officially or unofficially changed the name of his certification!!! Now he is a Certified MEARS Dealer, but againg I have never heard that MEARS has a Certified Dealer Program!!!

Re: MEARS and new frontiers

November 20 2006 at 8:49 AMhttp://www.network54.com/PersonalPhotos/1123130816.GIF
Joel Alpert (joel@alpert.net) Joel Alpert (Login trsent (http://www.network54.com/Profile/trsent))

Response to MEARS and new frontiers (http://www.network54.com/Forum/426247/message/1163982151/MEARS+and+new+frontiers)Troy, as I previously stated to you and Dave Grob, I do not support the methods used on Game Used Universe's forum for questions in the industry. I have not logged into that forum or read any posts on that forum for months now. I find I sleep better now at night.

My phone has rung and I received an email from Dave Grob about a thread on that forum about my using the term "MEARS Certified Distributor" in my eBay auctions. Funny, guys can post about it on a public forum, but I have not received one single email from anyone about their questions but from Dave Grob, who is a member of the MEARS family to begin with.

If someone has a question, why didn't they email me personally, email MEARS personally or post on the MEARS forum? Maybe because too many times the intentions of some of the family on that forum are not in the best interest of the hobby.

Troy and I discussed the "MEARS Certified Distributor" program that I have refereed to, and I have agreed to change the term to "MEARS Certified Dealer", which won't confuse anyone to think I am distributing for MEARS as that is not the case at this time.

As for the concept: Troy and I agreed the concept is generally for advertising purposes, but the main goal will to be to have dealers, such as myself, agreeing to only sell properly authenticated items from major authentication companies such as MEARS. Eventually, I will pay a fee to advertise on the MEARS web site to promote my business ties with MEARS since I have committed to use their services for all my letters for sports memorabilia.

If anyone has any other questions for me, my email address can be found in every eBay auction I list and in every post I ever make on a public forum.

Joel Alpert
joel@alpert.net