PDA

View Full Version : Cesar Tovar Game Used Glove?

MUSEOVEN
06-17-2013, 01:58 PM
Yesterday In A Baseball Card Show I Meet A Cesar Tovar Relatives. They Have A Cesar Tovar Game Used Glove .

Dont Have Any Coa But According To The Family Was Used By Cesar, Is A Willie Mays Mcgregor Glove, Have His Last Name In The Glove.

They Want To Sale The Glove, I Make A Offert And They Sale The Glove To Me. Was Very Cheap.

What Do You Think?

Mark17
06-17-2013, 08:57 PM
Tovar played many different positions (all 9, in fact) and he used several different styles of gloves. For instance, on the Kelloggs and 1970 Topps cards you pictured, he's wearing an outfielders' glove (big, like a basket.)

The glove you have looks much more like something a middle infielder would use, where he'd have to get the ball out of his glove quickly. All I can suggest is to search for a photo match. At least try to find him using another glove that has his name written on the back of the thumb like yours.

Good luck. He was a great player, and probably the most versatile of his era. He even struck out Reggie Jackson.

cliffjmp33
06-17-2013, 10:43 PM
Took a look an noticed on the one photo from 1967/68 with the Twins as you can see it looks like Tovar inscribed the thumb of his glove (assuming 12 Toby is his - assume so since it's his #). Also couldn't find a cleaner look, but a set shot of him and the Rangers, but can't zoom in on the glove. Other photo is just a shot for comparison, nothing that seemed to be matched offhand to my eyes. Hope these help.

Mark17
06-18-2013, 10:18 PM
Took a look an noticed on the one photo from 1967/68 with the Twins as you can see it looks like Tovar inscribed the thumb of his glove (assuming 12 Toby is his - assume so since it's his #).

Yes, Toby was his nickname. He put that on the knobs of his bats all the time.

Not at all definitive, but the "T" in Toby in the picture, and on the glove, look similar to me. I wonder when he started using "Toby" on his stuff, maybe the glove pre-dates that.