PDA

View Full Version : Memorabilia and milestones or almost milestones - which mean the most to you?

esquiresports
06-10-2013, 04:32 PM
As we know, major milestone memorabilia, such as related to a 300th win, 2,000th hit, 500th home run, etc., are almost impossible to come by.

If you were trying to line up the next best thing, what would it be? Does 2,999th or 3,001st mean a lot to you? 1,000th hit? 2,000th hit? HR 400? Etc.

What about memorabilia related to setting a team record (e.g., most hits by a Padre)? Or passing a noteworthy player? Maybe an item from a single-game record?

I ask because I recently won an auction for the bat, ball, cap and wristbands from the game where Tony Gwynn passed Babe Ruth on the all-time hit list with his 2,874th hit. Gwynn is my favorite player, past or current.

The more I thought about the auction, the more I convinced myself that this was an amazing opportunity. It's the only record of Ruth's that Gwynn could break, Gwynn is best known as a hitter, and Ruth is the biggest name in baseball history. I imagine it was an amazing feeling to hear you have just passed Babe Ruth in the record books (at least for "positive" records). In my mind, I couldn't think of a bigger milestone other than 3,0000 and his last hit - 3,141. That said, if I threw out the number "2,873," presumably very few would know what that number ties to, unlike "714."

I'm interested to hear your thoughts. I am not arguing that one view is better than another. "Whatever makes you happy" is my motto.

Thanks!

esquiresports
06-10-2013, 04:34 PM
Meant to write 3,000th, not 2,000th in the first sentence.